Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Yeah or nay? I have never had one, never felt the need for one but someone asked me if I had one so I wondered what peoples thoughts were. I do RPE (rate of perceived exertion) so I know how I feel and work myself accordingly.

Replies

• chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i love my HRM
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    YAY- specifically speaking I love my Polar FT4. It gives me an accurate read so I can eat accordingly and it also gives me motivation to push harder. I look forward to seeing how many calories I can burn so it almost makes working out a little "fun" for me.
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    Love mine too.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT7, nice to see how well you're performing for sure.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What exactly does it do? I thought it would just show what your heart rate was.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know that the exercise calories you're entering into MFP are accurate for you.
    I love my Polar F4.
  • toxiclight
    toxiclight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always wear my heartrate monitor when exercising (I have a Sportline watch, which makes it very convenient and easy to take pulse while walking/biking...although it doesn't play well when it gets too sweaty). I have a blood pressure monitor as well that I use post-workout (I have borderline high blood pressure, so like to keep records of it for the doctor)

I wouldn't say it's essential to getting a proper workout, but it is a time-saver if you try to track your pulse.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What exactly does it do? I thought it would just show what your heart rate was.

It also shows you how many calories you've burned, has a timer, keeps track of your workouts over time, shows you how long your heart was in different zones (fat burn vs. fitness)
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The simplest ones measure your heart rate and calories burned, the more expensive ones also have a GPS so that you know how far you've run and at what speed. The most accurate have a chest strap for the heart rate measurements. Having used both, I wouldn't recommend the watch strap type with no chest strap. Been there, done that, no good at all.