hunger signals

Options
Recently I have been letting my emotions and boredness get the best of me. I had off three weeks from work and my eating changed. At home I would eat basically the same things I would bring for lunch and snacks to work, but after eating say- (400 calories from a turkey sandwhich with a small apple and 16 sunchips, I wouldnt be completely satisfied, (but somewhat full) and I would binge. At work, of course I would just stop eating. This happened a few times in a row and somedays I would just keep eating. I wouldnt go crazy over my calorie limit, but I feel like my hunger/full signal is broken! Any help on how to fix it?

Replies

• lk14040
    Options
    Recently I have been letting my emotions and boredness get the best of me. I had off three weeks from work and my eating changed. At home I would eat basically the same things I would bring for lunch and snacks to work, but after eating say- (400 calories from a turkey sandwhich with a small apple and 16 sunchips, I wouldnt be completely satisfied, (but somewhat full) and I would binge. At work, of course I would just stop eating. This happened a few times in a row and somedays I would just keep eating. I wouldnt go crazy over my calorie limit, but I feel like my hunger/full signal is broken! Any help on how to fix it?
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been letting my emotions and boredness get the best of me.

Your problem lies in that sentence right there.

It's all mind over matter and you are essentially ignoring your body when you are truly full and letting yourself continue to eat. Don't let emotional eating get the best of you. Try drinking a full 8 oz of water 15-30 minutes before a meal and remember to eat slowly. HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I do fine when I'm at work or with family and friends. It's when I'm alone, which happens much too often, that it's so tempting to eat anything I have in the cabinets, even when I'm full. I try to shop healthfully so there's at least nothing horrible for me to eat. And I try to let myself feel the emotions rather than fill them with food. If I'm bored, I do something to occupy my hands and brain. Anything - pick up a pen and write a letter to an old friend, CALL an old friend, walk, clean, read a book, repaint the walls, organize your bookshelves, scrapbook....
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know! Now that I'm home, grabbing anything is just SO easy.

I admit...sometimes I take the easy way out. I stumbled across a pack of those sugar free Jellos, which are 5 calories each. If I'm feeling snacky but know I shouldn't be, sometimes it's just easier to eat one, be content with that, and breathe a sigh that it's only 5 calories.

Oh! Hot tea! Seriously, hot tea is the best thing ever for boredom-based snack attacks. No calories, good for you, and tasty. Just don't keep any biscotti around. Those devils are like lemmings--they WANT to dive into your hot beverage.