Why would this be happening?? HELP!!

So, I have noticed that since I have started working out, my anger has grown. I have been so aggressive lately and I cant figure out why! Would it be hormones??? If you can provide ANY advice, please let me know!! I have 2 daughters, ages 1 & 2, and frankly I cant be like this!! TIA!!

Replies

• StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Are you taking supplements? If so, which ones? How much are you exercising? Are you so focused on MFP that you're frustrated by the kids interrupting you? Just a thought. I did that a little bit with my younger 2. First of all, it's hard to lose weight. You have to keep track of so much, you're body is in a calorie deficit, and you're taking time that you used to spend hanging out with the kids exercising. Don't get me wrong, it's good for you, but it can also induce some anxiety. Keep a journal and record what you're feeling, and what seemed to set it off. Knowledge is power!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yikes. It should be the opposite!!
  • juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    I get like that too, but only temporarily. When i get hot and sweaty, i get really irritable. I HATE being hot! I love being cold. The heat just adds to my irritability. I don't know though. But it doesn't last long after the workout. Im usually ok about an hour after.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Sounds like thyroid which does control hormones. Talk to your dr. asap. they can supplement to make you more comfortable.
  • imcsqrd
    imcsqrd Posts: 32
    Are you getting enough rest? Lack of down time will cause irritability. As Stacy asked, are you taking any supplements that you weren't before? There are some that will amp you up big time. Try taking Valerian root to calm down. It's totally natural (stinks to high heaven though!) and should help you feel calmer and more relaxed.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    I get like that too, but only temporarily. When i get hot and sweaty, i get really irritable. I HATE being hot! I love being cold. The heat just adds to my irritability. I don't know though. But it doesn't last long after the workout. Im usually ok about an hour after.

i'm the same way... plus TOM is right around the corner.
    (BOO HISS)
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    I have felt like that too when I have started working out - particularly when I change up my schedule. I think I ultimately figured it was because I was finally doing something for myself, and was guarding that. I had a lot of anxiety about anything coming up that would interrupt my plans to exercise. I didn't want anything to get in the way of what I wanted to do for myself - it sounds selfish, but I kept telling myself, I deserve this and so do they when I am in better shape and healthier, I can be better for my family. In time, as my schedule has worked its way into my family's schedule, those feelings went away.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I dont think exercise causes anger, its supposed to realease endorphines, which make you feel GOOD! :bigsmile:

Perhaps its just the irritability of being on a diet and having to exercise? Could be carb withdrawal? Have you cut right down on carbs or gone all atkins? I get very teary/depressed if I dont eat at least 130g of carbs!

Perhaps try some yoga and stretching to chill out?

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    (BOO HISS)

Yeah it sucks! lol.....by the way...what does TOM stand for?
  • I am not on any supplements at all actually. I do every bit of control by diet and exercise only :wink: I am on no special diet. Just all things in moderation, cutting down on my sodium intake and maybe a special treat 1-3 times a week so I dont know whats going on. I feel great before, during and after the workout but its almost as the day settles, my aggression gets worse. I feel like I am getting enough rest because (THANK GOD) I have been blessed with pretty restful kiddos and in all honesty, they arent bad kids either! Its almost like the smallest issue can be blown WAY out of proportion by ME!?
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    yes that is a hard one, i agree first speak with your doctor and have them check your levels .. than if that is not it based on your diet that could be a problem, it may not be the exercising although at times we associate with exercise but when you really weigh (no pun intended) the pressures of dieting and exercising and getting in shape it can create an issue within your psyche.Research has shown that exerting self-control makes people more likely to behave aggressively toward others, and people on diets are known to be irritable and quick to anger. Check with your doctor first, than if that is not it than reflect on what your doing and how your doing it, and find that place of homeostasis and go from there..
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Low blood sugar, perhaps? Try eating something before you exercise and sticking more to low GI foods?
  • Low blood sugar, perhaps? Try eating something before you exercise and sticking more to low GI foods?

I eat a breakfast of carbs most mornings before my cardio workout and get about 12 cups of water a day. I eat protein after my workouts for recovery and then whatever is for dinner. I just do moderation so there is no dieting. Just watching and thinking about whats being put in my mouth at the moment.
  • i'm the same way... plus TOM is right around the corner.
    (BOO HISS)

Tom = time of month, I didn't know either, it seems to be a British thing
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    (BOO HISS)

Tom = time of month, I didn't know either, it seems to be a British thing

It's definitely not British!! The first time i heard it was on this site.....American maybe??

And I've just realised you're American..........hahaha! No idea where its from then :bigsmile:
  • Being an emotional eater is like smoking. When you eat because you are upset it like smoking because you are upset. I have the same issue because when I am stressed I eat and now that I am changing the way I eat I have noticed that I have been really irriatable myself and it is becaiuse I am not stuffing something in my face when I get a little stressed. I went throught the same thing when I quit smoking and when I couldnt have that smoke I got even more irratated. It will go away justy like it did after you quit smoking. Dont get too worried you got this girl.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    I find the people around me on sidewalks, etc seem to be slower and stupider over the last year or so since I've started to lose weight, and often get in my way.

But no, no more irritable than normal :wink:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    So, I have noticed that since I have started working out, my anger has grown. I have been so aggressive lately and I cant figure out why! Would it be hormones??? If you can provide ANY advice, please let me know!! I have 2 daughters, ages 1 & 2, and frankly I cant be like this!! TIA!!

Sometimes, you may notice one thing after another, but it doesn't mean that they're linked, but because they happened at the same time you assume they do. This shouldn't be happening after exercise, which leads me to think that it may be something different. If I were you, I'd give it a little bit, and then try to go talk to someone about it, whether it be your partner, parent or a professional.