Lunch Ideas

Options
I would really appreciate some fresh lunch ideas. I work in an office and have access to a Refrigerator and microwave. I have to tell you that I'm pretty much done with frozen entrees, and find that when I take them to work I don't want my lunch and end going out and finding something I regret.

Thanks,

Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would really appreciate some fresh lunch ideas. I work in an office and have access to a Refrigerator and microwave. I have to tell you that I'm pretty much done with frozen entrees, and find that when I take them to work I don't want my lunch and end going out and finding something I regret.

Thanks,
  • chickadee10
    Options
    I'm thinking about having a peanut butter & banana sandwich.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help you out but my daily lunch consists of Lean Cuisine after Lean Cuisine. Guess I'm lucky I've found 5 of them I love and don't get bored with! I feel like listing them, just because I do...

1. Tortilla Crusted Fish (with cheesy rice)
    2. Parmesan crusted fish (with pasta side)
    3. Santa fe beans and rice
    4. Roasted veggie pizza
    5. Garlic roasted chicken with creamed spinach side
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wraps are always a good alternative. Get a good low carb/multigrain wrap and fill it with whatever meat/cheese/veggies you like. One of my favorites:

Multi-grain tortilla wrap
    Low fat cream cheese and chives
    grilled chicken breast
    green pepper strips
    lettuce
    mushrooms
    mild peppers

Another alternative is to make a salad. Here's one I had yesterday:

Green leaf lettuce
    Dried cranberries
    Goada cheese
    sliced apple
    walnuts
    Low fat raspberry vinaigrette

Soups travel well and you can either make your own or buy canned.
    Chili is nice for when it's cold.
    Leftovers from dinner.
    Tuna salad and multigrain crackers. (make your own to avoid the mayo)
    BLT sandwiches (pack everything seperately and then assemble when you're ready to eat or it gets soggy)
    Occasionally I bring a Lean Pocket and make a small veggie salad
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I eat the Michellina's Lean Gourmet meals (only about $1!) nearly every day during the work week. Either that or I eat leftovers from dinner. I live alone so I frequently make my meals very large then portion them out into containers and freeze them. I can make my own healthy frozen meals and know what is going into my body when I do it that way.

You can also try wraps with tortillas, lettuce, tomato, onion, lunch meat, cheese, hummus, etc. Try fresh, yummy salads, too!
  • chickadee10
    Options
    Wish I could help you out but my daily lunch consists of Lean Cuisine after Lean Cuisine. Guess I'm lucky I've found 5 of them I love and don't get bored with! I feel like listing them, just because I do...

1. Tortilla Crusted Fish (with cheesy rice)
    2. Parmesan crusted fish (with pasta side)
    3. Santa fe beans and rice
    4. Roasted veggie pizza
    5. Garlic roasted chicken with creamed spinach side
    I'm eating Santa fe beans and rice right now. Except it's the Weight Watchers smart ones kind.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My office is in my house, but I still prepare things early in the morning so I can get stuff done.
    I like crunchy things, so I've started cutting up vegetables to go with hummus (of course no one here to mind my bad breath), or tomatoes and olives with vinegar (again, no one to mind the smell), or salad with protein of kidney beans. I'm a snacker, so I have all those things throughout the day or variations of it. Try to keep away from my kids' school snacks.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own has a wheat bread that is only 40 calories a slice. I use that with some hummus, a slice of cheese, and whatever lunch meat I feel in the mood for.

I also many times take leftovers from dinner the night before. If there's anything left, I'll divide it into serving sizes so all I have to do is grab a container and heat it up.

Salads, as someone else mentioned - today I had lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, chic peas, chopped ham, mushrooms and light Italian dressing for 238 calories.
  • Annika
    Annika Posts: 55
    Options
    I like soups :)
    I keep a couple of Campbell's or Knorr's (tetra pak style) in my office in case I don't have time to pack a lunch of left overs (my other favorite)

I also like hummus and salsa/guacamole with melba toasts and veggies.
  • kammiller
    Options
    there are so many different kinds of meals to choose from I just pick different varieties of them. Right now I am eating smart ones lasanga florentine with a small side salad very yummy!:happy:
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I usually go for a bowl of soup and a sandwich, left-overs, or a salad.

Yesterday's lunch was delicious, I may have it again tomorrow.

Tomato Soup w/ basil, 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, 5 fat-free seasoned croutons
    Tuna mixed with 1/2 tsp blue cheese dressing, salt, pepper, red chili flakes, 1 tbsp feta cheese, 1 tbsp fat-free cheddar cheese on Sara Lee Delightful wheat bread.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Veggie burgers! Or anything else by Morningstar....they can all be nuked. Bring a couple slices of bread and throw some mustard on it. As a side, chop up some zucchini or broccoli, sprinkle some garlic salt and parm, add a touch of olive oil and you're set! Microwave the veggies for about 1:45 and it is delicious for lunch.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love soup and sandwiches this time of year. There are so many soup choices! It's easy and filling.

I love pb&j or 98% ff bologna with hellmans light on wheat bread.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have some great sandwiches, salads and sushi for a quick lunch. Their frozen choices are fun too! I love the corn and black bean enchiladas!

Tortillas or crackers with roasted red pepper hummus is great with anything!
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Heres My Lunchs I Eat At Home With The Kids!

Half a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich
    with
    piece of fruit or 100calorie pack or whole almonds 100calorie worth

lunchable they are like 270calories
    with a piece of fruit (ONLY if still hungry)

Mini carrot pack
    Cuccummber slices
    Turkey Lunch meat 2-3slices
    String cheese

Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Almonds
    yougart 100 calories

Soup Campbells yum yum yum

Blended Oatmeal Shake
    1/2 cup Goat Milk
    1/2 cup Rice Milk
    Half A Bananna
    1TableSpoon Organic Peanutbutter
    1TableSpoon Organic Brown sugar
    2Tablespoons Cooked Organic Oats

Superfood drink blended
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup organic unfilterd apple juice
    1bananna
    4strawberries
    1scoop Dr Schulzes Superfood Plus

Organic Amys Frozen Burrito for 300calories

Thoes Are My Lunchs Typically For The Week
    I Never Get Sick Of Thoes Things!
  • heartbrake
    Options
    i always have a side salad and maybe half a sandwich - whole wheat bread of course, or a Thomas' light english muffin. Leftovers are always easy too!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas, Soup is sounding good this time of year.

Anyone know of a good light chili?
  • chickadee10
    Options
    What kinds of food can you make that you can freeze? I heard a lot about frozen foods that've been made.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I can't hang with the frozen foods. That drives me to go out for lunch.

Here is my 'go to' lunch:

2-3 ounce Boar's head chicken or turkey
    .5 ounce Boar's head sharp cheddar
    on 2 slices Double Fiber Wheat Bread (Nature's Own Purple Bag)
    We have snuck a toaster into the breakroom and I toast the bread, then throw on the goodies.

Light Chips on the side.

I work out at lunch so I have this afterward and it fills me up for a while.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    See my post: Convenience Foods to take for Lunch!

A friend of mine introduced me to KIDNEY BEANS! I keep a couple of cans in my filing cabinet drawer at work (I am a teacher), and about once or twice a week I have them for lunch. 1/2 of a can is about 200 calories, is filling, FULL of protein and fiber, and with a 1/2 T. of butter taste really good! You just have to pour 1/2 of the can into a bowl (drain a little bit of the juice) and microwave between 2-4 minutes. Some of the beans will pop open! Just for a little change, I have actually crunched up 8 cracker squares before and added them like you do to chili. They are a little sweet and a little salty and the texture makes you feel like you are eating a little meat! Of any meal I take for lunch, this is by far the most filling and keeps me from binging just before supper.

The only two drawbacks: At first, you will need to isolate yourself from loved ones until your system gets used to all that fiber! But in a couple of weeks, the gas will pass and it won't cause that problem anymore. The other thing is that if you are watching your sodium, they are pretty high in it. (410 mg in 1/2 cup).

Another thing I have recently found is Bird's eye steamed veggies. I only eat 1/2 the bag, but they only take 5 minutes to cook in the bag, and again are low fat and higher fiber. These need salt and a tad of butter. The nice thing about these is that there are a lot of varieties, and like kidney beans they are VERY cheap!

They also sell Teryaki tuna in a zipper pouch in the canned foods section at WalMart. This is a little spendier, but with a couple of crackers, it makes a pretty good protein filled lunch also.

I was surprised when I had to enter kidney beans in the database myself, but it's now there for you to use. I like the Mrs. Grimes, light red kidney beans the best. Let me know how you like it, and PLEASE reply with what else you take for lunch out of convenience!

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just decided to have peanut butter and crackers. I then compared the cracker nutrition to the multi-grain bread. I measured my peanut butter, spread it on one piece of bread, added two zesta crackers (they are extra crispy) and folded it over. It tasted wonderful and was loaded with protein.