Apples - does anyone else experience this?

Options
You know how everyone always says apples are a great snack to help tide you over between meals? Well, every time I eat an apple, I am suddenly RAVENOUSLY hungry within a few minutes of finishing it. Even if I was not really that hungry to begin with, or if it's a part of my meal... I will suddenly have this gnawing hunger hit me, and if I don't eat something immediately, it turns into a migraine.

Only ever happens to me with apples. Other fruits are fine. Makes me kind of sad because apples are so convenient to carry around all day, but I just know if I eat one, I'll be screwed.

Anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• chiroGirl77
    Options
    Add a small protein source or like a DanActive Probiotic drink. It fills me up!!!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't eat apples very often anymore, but in the past I have definitely experienced the same effect you have felt! Strange - I thought I was just an odd one. I wonder if there's a physiological reason for it.
  • wrubsie76
    wrubsie76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, except it's carrots, not apples that make me hungry after I eat them.
  • phatphd
    Options
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me too but it is much worse for me with bananas. I just don't eat them anymore and pick something that is more filling.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me.I usually dip my apples in peanut butter.Yummy
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I thought that I was the only person that had this happen. I could never understand why people suggested eating an apple for a snack. But I do find if I add a few almonds or walnuts to the apple snack it does make a difference.
  • rschuurman
    Options
    How strange! I have definitely experience this! However today I had one with a trim latte and didn't experience that. It must need a little protein with it.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Apples go even worse with me - they make my tummy unhappy and give me a dire rear (diarrhoea)
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me with carrots, i always thought it was the fiber or something. I guess the carbs...
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Omg me too. I thought I was a freak.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Yes. I started putting peanut butter on them and it killed the hunger completely.
  • Midnightsun04
    Options
    Same thing for me!!! I'm so glad you posted this! Apples make me hungry...but I love them!
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I luuuuuuuuuurve apples!
    I have this nifty apple cutter thing that you just squish the apples into it and then instant slices.

Uh, but I put peanut butter with them.
    Maybe that'll help?
  • alltalk199
    Options
    I use too. I got a thing for granny smith apples, add natural yogurt and roasted pepitas, somehow to me the flavours just seem to go together and very filling, I'm hooked.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, i cant eat an apple as a snack as it makes me hungrier, so now i have it before my lunch!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    are you sure your eating enough before hand? .. sometimes if i havent eaten for a few hours and go to eat something small i then realise how hungry i am ....
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    same here! Five minutes later Im starving. Bannanas dont do this to me so now I have a banana a day!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You know how everyone always says apples are a great snack to help tide you over between meals? Well, every time I eat an apple, I am suddenly RAVENOUSLY hungry within a few minutes of finishing it. Even if I was not really that hungry to begin with, or if it's a part of my meal... I will suddenly have this gnawing hunger hit me, and if I don't eat something immediately, it turns into a migraine.

Only ever happens to me with apples. Other fruits are fine. Makes me kind of sad because apples are so convenient to carry around all day, but I just know if I eat one, I'll be screwed.

Anyone else have this happen?

I would ask what you ate before that makes you hungry after eating an apple. I acknowledge there are foods that trigger migraines, we all have to learn what they are and avoid them. However, I do not think adding protein is the answer. I think eating enough calories until the next meal is the answer--and if that is protein, so be it, but you should consider other types of foods that can fill you up and not be so calorie dense.

By the way, DanActive probiotic yogurt? 13 grams of sugar per 100 ml
    http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/dannon/danactive-immunity-probiotic-dairy-drink

Apples without skin? 11 grams of sugar per cup
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1810/2

cola soda pop? 33 grams of sugar per can (12 fl oz) or 355 ml (my point here is that soda and DanActive has roughly the same amount of sugar in them--you are drinking sugar, the worst carb there is)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/3986/2
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080117124143AAoUHh5

I'll take apples over yogurt any day (as long as it doesn't trigger migraines) as a cup of apples will fill me up before the yogurt.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was the only one. I remember when I was young I could never finish one, but then 10 minutes later I'd be so hungry, worse than Chinese food.