Discontinuity between treadmill and mfp

Options
Ok so some stats first.

Weight: 209
Height: 5 ft10 in

So let's say I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 4 mph and no incline with an average heart rate of about 150-160 (my treadmill has an HRM assuming you're holding on to the handles, which I don't always because I like to swing my arms). MFP says I burned 237 calories whereas my treadmill says I burned around 150. Also, my treadmill does not take into account height, weight, or age. Which one would you say is more accurate?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If your machine isn't asking at least your weight - I think I would find a number partway between the two and go with that.

The treadmills that I use ask your age, your weight and such. Since it asks for that information - I go with my treadmill (which is always less than MFP has for the same amount of time).

If MFP says 237 and your treadmill says 150 .. I would put in around 200 and call it even. :)
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i would go with the lower, just to be safe. i know everyone doesn't have money for a HRM, but i got the polar ft4 on ebay for around $70 and i love it! never have to guess how many calories i've burned again!
  • I have the same problem...the treadmill at school says I burned less than what MFP says I burned. So, I'm gonna keep using the treadmill..but I won't actually log it until I get a hrm...my boyfriend says it's more acurate. I also decided not to eat back the bonus calories..because I am not even sure what the actual burn was.
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would say the MFP is more accurate because it takes into account your height/weight/age but I still find MFP tells me I burn more than a heart rate monitor (the ones with a chest strap not the treadmill one) which are the most accurate. My guess... closer to MFP but really somewhere in between.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    MFP will be CLOSER but you still need to get a heart rate monitor because that's the best way to know.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Don't hold on to the handles unless you have to as well, that makes the workout easier, so save doing that for when you get too tired.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    4 mph = 15 minute miles = very edge of slow jog & fast walk

at your weight I'd expect you to burn north of 100 kcals per mile

while MFP is often wrong, the gym machines are even more wrong
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i say use mfp and if you feel like the walk really took something out of you then add 20 - 50 more calories....your weight plays a huge part in your caloric burn also mfp calories is the bare minimum you should be burning during a particular exercise.

good luck!