I'm 23 and "super morbidly obese" :(

Options
I found out yesterday that not only do I weigh enough to be considered "SUPER morbidly obese" but I also have sleep apnea. Great. I guess I was in denial...I knew I was morbidly obese...but super? I'm just under 300 pounds :frown: I'm hoping once I get my sleep apnea treated, I'll start feeling better. I'm so tired all the time and always wake up with bad headaches. *sighs* Plus, my metabolism sucks. It's really hard to lose weight. The lung doctor said that sleep apnea can slow your metabolism...I thought it was just my hypothyroidism that was slowing it, but I guess that is as well.

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    I found out yesterday that not only do I weigh enough to be considered "SUPER morbidly obese" but I also have sleep apnea. Great. I guess I was in denial...I knew I was morbidly obese...but super? I'm just under 300 pounds :frown: I'm hoping once I get my sleep apnea treated, I'll start feeling better. I'm so tired all the time and always wake up with bad headaches. *sighs* Plus, my metabolism sucks. It's really hard to lose weight. The lung doctor said that sleep apnea can slow your metabolism...I thought it was just my hypothyroidism that was slowing it, but I guess that is as well.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Well Pink,

If your looking for a change you came to the right place. I suffer from apnea myself and I know how bad it can be. When I came to MFP I was 319lbs and my apnea was keeping me pretty exhausted all the time. My father suffers from severe apnea so I am all to familiar with what it can do. I have lost about 37lbs so far and my apnea is loads better and will probably be a thing of the past soon. Just start by keeping track of your food and trying to be more active and you will make it far before you know it. We are behind you and I wish you the best of luck. Just let us know if you need anything!

:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi, first of all your ast a great place, I need to lose as much or more than you,
    If you would like a daily email from me, I would love someone to keep an eye on me too,

You need to change that picture, you look so sad:sad:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Pink, are you on meds for your thyroid? That does help with the weight. Also after you lose weight your sleep apena should get better.

I know you say you try to lose weight, but what are you doing to lose weight? What are your eating habits and what is your exercise program?
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    The good news is, you are still young and if you just start making better choices and working towards it, you will bounce back pretty quickly and enjoy the rest of your 20's!

I was snoring a lot at my highest weight (which was 270!) and I stopped snoring less and less with each pound lost. Now, I don't snore at all!

I agree that losing weight will help your sleep apnea. I know it's hard to get started but you can do this! Your body will reward you for treating it right and if you just get started, I bet the weight will come off much faster than you think too!

Good luck hun!!!
    -Tami
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi miss Pink Pixie

I always tell people that if I could do it, anyone can do it! I weighed 265 at my heaviest. I started losing weight my first semester of college just walking about 20 minutes a day home from my classes. I found this alone helped me lose 30lbs in 3 months. After this I started slowly cutting back on bad things, like no more pop, well, I allow myself that on a rare occasion, cutting back on fried foods, and just making small adjustments. Once you start seeing the results it gets you inspired to make even more changes. For me, I started adding fruits + veggies to at least one meal a day, now I eat veggies and fruits in all my meals. I've been losing for 4 years now, slowly, but it's been coming off easily! Taking it slow helps work dieting in to your everyday routine & eventually you will be able to go out and eat or by groceries with ease and no temptation. I started going to the gym about 6 months ago & wish I would have started that in the beginning!

Take it slow, you're in the right place, and use us for support!!!!!

Best of luck!!!
  • kammiller
    Options
    we all have to stay motivated no matter how many pounds you need to lose. I have been on this site for about two weeks and my eating habits are already changing. You are not hungry with this plan either, if I can stay under my calories anyone can.

So get excited you have decided to make yourself heathly and happy and of you stick to it , it will happen!!!:happy:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Pink, are you on meds for your thyroid? That does help with the weight. Also after you lose weight your sleep apena should get better.

I know you say you try to lose weight, but what are you doing to lose weight? What are your eating habits and what is your exercise program?
    Yes, I take levothyroxine but I still feel tired all the time.

I eat around 1700 calories a day, high protein, I've been trying not to eat too many veggies b/c of my IBS but I love veggies so it's hard :embarassed: Doctor is trying to reduce my diarrhea but I'm still having it at least 4 times a day while taking Bentyl 3 times a day. >.< I drink lots of water, no soda or coffee or anything. Sometimes I drink Powerade Zero. I have been trying to take short walks daily but sometimes my pain levels are too bad to...but I clean a lot which is exercise to me. LOL
  • kammiller
    Options
    my husband has IBS and his attacks are very painful he lost about 30 pounds since he has been diagnosed. but he is also a man so we are not the same. It sounds like you are doing what you must just keep trucking. One good thing to do not matter how small the snack even if it is one Hershey kiss or a half of a cookie log it in, you would be surprised how fast those bites add up.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    my husband has IBS and his attacks are very painful he lost about 30 pounds since he has been diagnosed. but he is also a man so we are not the same. It sounds like you are doing what you must just keep trucking. One good thing to do not matter how small the snack even if it is one Hershey kiss or a half of a cookie log it in, you would be surprised how fast those bites add up.
    yeah...I know...it makes me paranoid when I think about that though...and I gotta stay away from that way of thinking. I'm recovering from a 13 year battle with bulimia. My nutritionist says I'm doing great...I had a mini binge over Christmas and didn't purge...she says thats part of recovery...that it's a step in the right direction...but I don't think it is...I feel like I'm a failure by keeping food in...I mean, rationally I know it's good that I'm not purging but I feel like a pig. :frown: I worry so much about dying from being fat...I'd rather die from puking than being a cow...that makes no sense, does it?
  • gis35
    gis35 Posts: 54
    Options
    the great news is that now that you know your start point, you'll have so much to celebrate once you reach your goal and we're all here to suppport you, good luck on your weight loss journey, a lot of our health problems seem to disappear once we lose weight, don't worry:drinker:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay, you have a lot of things to over come, but a lot of those will probably go away or lessen when you lose weight. Like the apena and your pain will probable decrease tremendously when you weigh less. Maybe you could invest in some exercise tapes that you could do at home.
  • momtothreebabies
    momtothreebabies Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are gorgeous, your face is beautiful!! Put a happy pic up though, lol! We have alot of the same issues, i was very very anorexic from age 13-19 when i became preggers with my first baby. Then i had three kids in a row and im now a whopping 220. i cant believe i wrote that total out. it is hard to go from 85 lbs to 220. So we are in this together. It is a new year and we can help each other!!!!!! Im exhausted all the time too, so i know that by losing the weight and getting healthy it will help!!
    We will work together.
    Love, Jaelle
    momtothreebabies@netscape.com
    feel free to email me anytime and im going to add you to my friends!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Get your sleep apnea treated. It will make an amazing difference. I also have it and untreated it's extremely serious.

Honestly the treatment is pretty rough, but worth it. You will probably be given a CPap machine to sleep with.

When I initally got treatment it was like someone turned on the light. You know when your in a room and it has become gradually dark and you didn't notice until someone switches on the light? It was that dramatic. You will feel better have more energy and overall a better outlook.

The weight loss journey will still be difficult, but right now it's probably almost impossible.
  • sybulc
    sybulc Posts: 5
    Options
    Get your sleep apnea treated right away. The difference in how you will feel is like night and day. I am using a cpap machine. I would literally fall asleep any time I sat still. I would nod off sitting at the breakfast table drinking my morning coffee it was so bad. I started out super obese too. My high was 315 lbs at 5 foot, 2 inches tall! Sleep apnea affects many aspects of your life. It increases blood pressure, blood glucose levels, energy levels, to name a few. Charting your daily intake is really key to weight loss. If you look at what you are putting in your mouth it makes it a lot easier to stay in the calorie range you set for yourself. Also, with the water, you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day. For example, if you weigh 300 lbs, you should drink 150 oz. of water a day. it acts as a natural diuretic and helps flush your body along with speeding up weight loss. I use crystal light and the lipton no calorie drink packets with my water to make it more palatable. Exercise every day. Even if it is just walking in place while you watch 30 minutes of tv. As you lose and start to feel better, your endurance increases too. Try to take in at least 80 grams of protein a day. Keep your carbs and fats low. The increased protein speeds up your weight loss. Carbs make you hungry. It's that simple. I am now down 101 lbs, 80 more to go. Keep on trucking. If you have a bad day, blow it off and start again in the morning. It will get easier as you go along.