8lbs weight loss in a week?

Options
I recently moved to go to back to school, so I've been here about 2 weeks and I've been back to using my fitness pal for a week and a half-ish I believe. It says I am to consume 1230 calories a day for 1lb weight loss per week. So I've been sticking by it. I am the first to admit my diet right now isn't as healthy as it typically would be. It's been hectic moving back in, getting into the groove of things and stressful with school, and a recent car accident.
Anyway. I went from 154 to 146 in this small amount of time. I am eating out less then when I was at home for summer, but I'm not really moving around daily much more. If anything I've also been exercising less, especially the past few days since my back hurts. I would guess when I was at home I was eating 1500 calories a day on average unless it was a day I went out to eat or something which was probably twice a week. However, I was working out 5 days a week burning between 300-550 calories a day, but I wasn't increasing my calories, it stayed around the same since I wasn't using mfp at the time.
I've also been drinking enough water daily. The only difference is I started taking the gnc women's ultra mega active vitamins once a day starting about a week ago, and I only take one a day, not the two.
My question is why would I lost 8lbs so fast, and when I start working out more again am I still going to see weight loss? My work outs are usually pilates, piloxing, light muscle training, and interval hiit cardio on the elliptical. I will be adding "insanity" workouts some days a week soon.

Replies

• marquesajen
    Options
    Some of it could be water weight. When I first started I lost alot the first week too. It will probably slow down, but also keep in mind that you could be losing muscle mass if you aren't working out as much, but I'm betting on water weight.
  • farmingfool
    Options
    I also lost 8 lbs. the first week and I know a lot of it was water weight. I doubt you were losing muscle mass that soon.
  • dawnm92
    dawnm92 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Did you use the same scale both times? Do your clothes seem much looser? If it's a digital scale, any chance the battery could be bad? Or that it needs recalibrating? Especially if your clothes feel about the same, I would suspect a scale problem.

It's basically scientifically impossible to have lost 8 pounds of fat in a week. So if you actually did lose 8 pounds, then you undoubtedly lost a lot of water weight. This can happen if you were very bloated before and changed your diet a lot (much lower carb, much lower sodium, etc). In some cases, some lucky people can lose 8 pounds the first week of dieting because their body sheds excess water.
  • minus40
    minus40 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit in my first week, too. Mostly, or all water weight I assume. Keep drinking those fluids! :)
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    probably water weight.....and a combination of not eating out as much. Depending on what you were eating when you ate out, that can play a huge role in losing water weight, as a lot of food prepared in restaurants contains a lot of salt. And...salt follows water.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's normal to loose that much in the first week or two. Especially if the biggest change you made was cutting out the fast food. That stuff has SOOOO much sodium in it, that even if you stay under your calorie goal you'd retain a bunch of water.

God bless!