Low Carb Diet Help

kellieem
kellieem Posts: 53 Member
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
Hi Everyone!

I would like some advice on how to start a low carb diet. I am a runner, but I was advised by my family doctor that the best way to lose weight was to eat a low carb and high protein diet. What is the best way to ease myself into this and will I notice a change in my energy level when I run? I've heard that people crash because of the lack of carbs for the first little bit, how long will that take to go away? And since I eat carbs to feel full, will I feel hungry all the time on a low carb diet?

Has anyone experienced success with a low carb diet? And do you eventually feel like you have more energy? What kind of food do you eat?

For any runners, or people who exercise in general, did it take a long time to adjust to a low carb diet?

Thank you for any advice! Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:

Kellie

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    I'm a runner. I prefer to eat protein over carbs. The protein definitely helps me feeling fuller longer and helps with recovery. However, I'm searching blogs on here to see if I should change my diet to more carbs because of how much running I'm doing... You can look at my diary for protein options.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Hi Everyone!

I would like some advice on how to start a low carb diet. I am a runner, but I was advised by my family doctor that the best way to lose weight was to eat a low carb and high protein diet. What is the best way to ease myself into this and will I notice a change in my energy level when I run? I've heard that people crash because of the lack of carbs for the first little bit, how long will that take to go away? And since I eat carbs to feel full, will I feel hungry all the time on a low carb diet?

Has anyone experienced success with a low carb diet? And do you eventually feel like you have more energy? What kind of food do you eat?

For any runners, or people who exercise in general, did it take a long time to adjust to a low carb diet?

Thank you for any advice! Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:

Kellie

Check my signature for a low-carb variant. It's pretty flexible in the long run and helps keep you energized for your workouts.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    HI!
    Make sure you get enough fat in your diet. That will help with your energy, and it will trick your body into going into ketosis so that it will burn your body fat. Also, eat enough calories! Don't worry about the calorie counter on the program.

One last piece of advice is to take your vitamins and minerals.
    Best of luck!
  • bethanm90
    bethanm90 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi!

I started a completely carb free diet about a month ago and for the first 4 or 5 days I found it very difficult...I had no energy and found it hard to keep up with my work outs. But after I got through the initial week, my body seemed to adjust and I felt amazing and had even more energy than before when I was eating carbs (also lost that sluggish feeling that comes with eating carbs).

To fill up I eat a lot of boiled eggs/egg whites and lean meat! Have actually managed to make some fairly interesting meals with these ingredients and the weight has been dropping off..I've lost a stone in the 4 weeks since I cut out carbs!

Hope this helps!
  • JNick77
    Also, eat enough calories! Don't worry about the calorie counter on the program.

Yes, eat enough calories but you absolutely need to watch your calories. High Fat / Low-Carb is not a free ticket to binge.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    I don't have a long time to go into a long reply (which is sad, because I have a ton to say about low carb!), but I will say this: you must, must, MUST get your head out of everything you know about what is "bad."

As another poster said, fat is key: naturally-occurring fats (yes, even a large smidge of saturated!). Eggs, butter (in moderation), cheeses, chicken (with skin!), fatty fish, and even steaks will provide the fat you'll need to create the energy your body needs. And no, it will not cause an increase in cholesterol (in fact, just the opposite).

I suggest reading and researching a lot. It will help you to get over the low-fat mentality. It's so hard to break that!

Also, calories DO still count-- but it is a lot easier to count them when you forego starchy carbs and sugars. I manage 1200-1750 cals on average (easily) while watching my carbs. And I still sneak in some non-low carb treats like small servings of ice cream or froyo. :)
  • JNick77
    I don't have a long time to go into a long reply (which is sad, because I have a ton to say about low carb!), but I will say this: you must, must, MUST get your head out of everything you know about what is "bad."

As another poster said, fat is key: naturally-occurring fats (yes, even a large smidge of saturated!). Eggs, butter (in moderation), cheeses, chicken (with skin!), fatty fish, and even steaks will provide the fat you'll need to create the energy your body needs. And no, it will not cause an increase in cholesterol (in fact, just the opposite).

I suggest reading and researching a lot. It will help you to get over the low-fat mentality. It's so hard to break that!

Also, calories DO still count-- but it is a lot easier to count them when you forego starchy carbs and sugars. I manage 1200-1750 cals on average (easily) while watching my carbs. And I still sneak in some non-low carb treats like small servings of ice cream or froyo. :)

Yup. I've done a few different methods of low-carb and the document in my signature, "Anabolic Diet", is very effective and lays everything out for you. The only difference is that you may want to start at bodweight x 14 or 15 instead of the suggestion in the book. Your choice.
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Thanks everyone! Your advice looks awesome! I'm going to be doing more research in the next couple of days, especially into the links that you have suggested. I might need clarification on the higher fat aspect of a low carb diet, as I was/am trying to limit my fat intake by eating lean meats and egg whites only. I do love cheese thought, so this might a plus.
    Again, thanks a lot! And if I have more questions, I will post again :D
This discussion has been closed.