So hungry =(

Options
My biggest challenge lately to losing weight is that I'm just so darn hungry! I am careful to snack frequently and I eat a lot of protein and whole grains, could probably stand more fiber but I do get a good bit and I know those three things are important for being satiated. I drink LOTS of water, 4+ bottles a day so it's not thirst. I also drink coffee so I'm getting caffeine in there which I know is an appetite suppressant (not the only reason I drink it, but hey).

Any tips? I am getting so frustrated because my weight has barely crept down at all. I am very active but obviously not active enough to make up for all that I'm eating. I know it's going to get worse as the weather cools down- it always does!

Replies

• chocolattahottie
    Options
    I do alot of emotional eating, so when I'm "emotionally hungry" I track the food I ate. It reminds me of how "one" more snack will throw me off track and then I remind myself of where I am and where I want to be. It's the mental trick I need.
  • hollybug26
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? You may not be getting enough calories....
  • SimplySonja
    Options
    I drink Shakeology to keep me feeling full. It reduces cravings, increases energy levels, promotes healthy digestion and helps you lose weight. It is an amazing ALL NATURAL protein shake. I drink it everyday and love it! I also happen to coach for the company that sells it - but started using it well before I was associated with them. I have noticed my skin is improved, my legs are firm and I am not sensitive to lactose anymore.

I will gladly send you more information if you are interested. Not being a sales person - I really love this! I drank GNC whey protein for years - Shakeology is SO much better for you. No chemicals or artificial ingredients... Most of my friends now drink it and swear by it. You can learn more on my website shakeology tab - www.simplyactivesonja.com

I used to be super hungry when I did weight watchers - I would just drink more and more water - but enough was enough. What are you consuming for calories? If they are too low your body will not have enough energy to maintain normal function. Have you figured out your BMR?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat? If you have your weekly weight loss goal set to 1 lb/week, that is a reasonable amount of calories, however, if you have it set to more than 1 lb/week, that may lead you to be hungrier and less likely to succeed.

That being said, whenever you exercise, you are likely to feel hungrier, so do be sure to eat the exercise calories. Not only will it fuel your muscle mass and your metabolism, it will keep you happier.

Finally, do remember that fat (as a macro, not on your body--ha) is helpful in staying satiated.

Excellent snacks include an ounce of nuts, a Tbsp or 2 of peanut or other nut butter, and cheese (if you can tolerate dairy).

blessings.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I forgot the fat. I try to eat avocados and nuts to get that in too.

My goal that MFP figured out for me is 1410 so as to lose 1.5 lbs/week and I rarely manage to get even that low. I am probably usually 2-400 cals over. I am on my feet doing something all day and typically ride horses for several hours a day. I probably need to do more working out on top of that to try to make up what I'm eating. I can't seem to eat any less but then apparently I am eating enough since I'm not really losing weight!

I figured out my BMR once upon a time, I think it may have been about 1600 but I'll do that again to check.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    since you seem to be fairly close to goal, why not change the goal to 1 lb/week and give yourself that leeway--reduce the stress! Do take advantage of the exercise calories too.

I get what you're saying, I am hungry too, especially on days I don't workout I miss my exercise cals! Even today, I was hungry and I had just over 2000.

I also find I am hungrier after a big workout day--I worked out almost 5 hours yesterday, and even though I ate almost everything I could yesterday, I was hungry today. Sometimes I will "share" the exercise cals with the next day, like say I have a big 6-hour bike ride on Sat, I might put 3 hours on for Sat and 3 hours on for Sun when I know I will not work out and I will be hungry during recovery.

blessings.