Purging.

Options
I'm not looking for any of you to tell me I shouldn't do this. I know that already, and I am in the midst of trying to stop. However, I have a question for those of you who do it often. Do any of you get really hoarse for like a whole half hour afterwards? Is this normal, or is this a bad sign?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not looking for any of you to tell me I shouldn't do this. I know that already, and I am in the midst of trying to stop. However, I have a question for those of you who do it often. Do any of you get really hoarse for like a whole half hour afterwards? Is this normal, or is this a bad sign?

That is a normal side effect from vomitting. I hope you are truely getting help for it.. Best of luck to be this horrible habit.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options

That is a normal side effect from vomitting. I hope you are truely getting help for it.. Best of luck to be this horrible habit.

I don't think it's normal, honestly. I also get stomach pains afterwards. Thank you for answering it kindly though.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Holly, purging is a bad sign. Your stomach acid is eroding your throat, that's why it burns.
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    not here to tell you its bad or watever, but why has it come to this??
    why do you feel the need to do it??
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yes its the acid in your stomach burning the inside of your esophagus. the esophagus can't tolerate the acid of the stomach. long term effects of this include cancer of the esophagus. i too hope you are getting the help you need.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options

I've been purging since eighth grade. It's just gotten worse lately.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    yes its the acid in your stomach burning the inside of your esophagus. the esophagus can't tolerate the acid of the stomach. long term effects of this include cancer of the esophagus. i too hope you are getting the help you need.

That kind of scared me. :( Thank you for the help though.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm a recovering bulimic. I know how hard it is to overcome and I still get urges every once in a while.

Being hoarse is definitely one of the normal negative side effects of vomiting especially if you are doing it often.

If you need help or support feel free to friend me.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    Holly, purging is a bad sign. Your stomach acid is eroding your throat, that's why it burns.

Gotcha. Scary.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    Hey there. I'm a recovering bulimic. I know how hard it is to overcome and I still get urges every once in a while.

Being hoarse is definitely one of the normal negative side effects of vomiting especially if you are doing it often.

If you need help or support feel free to friend me.

Thank you. <3 I just sent you a request.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Are you seekign help? There are so many bad side affect and if you have been doing this for years, you can do a lot of damage. Stomach, throat, intestines, etc...
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options

Are you seekign help? There are so many bad side affect and if you have been doing this for years, you can do a lot of damage. Stomach, throat, intestines, etc...

I don't have any health insurance at the moment, so I'm doing my best on my own to try to stop.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I don't have any health insurance at the moment, so I'm doing my best on my own to try to stop.

Completely understand. Hope the others on this board who have gone through this can help you. I know its very hard as one of my ex girlfriends was doing the same thing.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    With regular purging, the stomach experiences delays in emptying its food content and you will suffer from pains in the abdominal area, bloating, acid reflux, stomach ulcers and esophageal problems.

If you aren't already getting *professional* help, please seek it. It's only going to get worse as time goes on. You still have the chance to save yourself.. Take it.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options

Completely understand. Hope the others on this board who have gone through this can help you. I know its very hard as one of my ex girlfriends was doing the same thing.

I hope so too. :) I hope she gets better.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It's a bad sign. The acid in your stomach is eating away at your esophagus, your teeth and can cause your throat to be sore and your voice to be hoarse.

I hope you find the help you need.

http://atlantadentist.com/Bulimia_Nervosa.html
    http://helpguide.org/mental/bulimia_signs_symptoms_causes_treatment.htm
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    With regular purging, the stomach experiences delays in emptying its food content and you will suffer from pains in the abdominal area, bloating, acid reflux, stomach ulcers and esophageal problems.

If you aren't already getting *professional* help, please seek it. It's only going to get worse as time goes on. You still have the chance to save yourself.. Take it.

Like I said before, I'm trying to help myself. I'm only seventeen, so I can't get professional help at the moment. No money to pay for it.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    It's a bad sign. The acid in your stomach is eating away at your esophagus, your teeth and can cause your throat to be sore and your voice to be hoarse.

I hope you find the help you need.

http://atlantadentist.com/Bulimia_Nervosa.html
    http://helpguide.org/mental/bulimia_signs_symptoms_causes_treatment.htm

Thank you. I hope so too.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

Yes, I have done tests on patients at the hospital for their esophagus from b/p. It's very sad what it can do to people long term. I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but I really hope you are seeing a therapist and getting help with everything. Life doesn't have to be lived like this..

Sending hugs <3

edit:
    do some research for free counseling in your area, it is out there somewhere! I've done it!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Have you tried contacting psychiatrists and see if they could help you by paying only what you could afford? Some will do this for folks who have no insurance. Are you in college and can use the health system at the school, if there is one?

HUGS
    Kristina