Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MyFitnessPal Age 55+ Stories and Pics?

c1952
c1952 Posts: 1 Member
:smile: Anyone over 55 out there using MyFitnessPal. I am sooooooo excited, because this has been the perfect answer for me. I eat any kind of food I want, but stop at 1200 calories. I have lost 17 pounds in 6 weeks. I do go to the gym and ramp up the treadmill, but on average, I only walk briskly for about 35 minutes, plus a 5 minute cool down. After the first major water weight loss, I have been losing about 2 pounds a week. I hope it holds up. I am still over 200 pounds, but hope to be at 135 by March 2012. Are there any success stories or any folks who have a profile similar to mine? I am about to be 59 years young. A grandmother, married 37 years, but full of energy and hope for health and vitality in the future. My goal is to be in the best shape I can by age 60. I only wish I would have known about MyFitnessPal years ago!

Replies

• mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    I am having great success with MFP too! I will send a friend request.:flowerforyou:
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    57 here and I have lost 50+ pounds in about 9 months. Gone from 259 to 205 and want to lose 20 more. I started out at 2+ pounds per week but it slows down. Just keep at it. Feel free to friend me if you like!

Tim
  • I am also having sucess with MFP and I am 57, losing a lb a week, set my goal at 2 and last week lost 2. I love this site, this have been the most helpful site that I have used, better than weightwatcher.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    ... I only wish I would have known about MyFitnessPal years ago!

i agree *S*

i turn 55 in september.
    Here is my before and 'during' pics... (during one was taken about '11 pounds heavier' ago *LOL*)
    There are more recent pics of me in more recent blogs entries too if you want to browse *S*

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShellyMacchi/view/what-56-pounds-lost-looks-like-on-me-pics-116129
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Hi. I am not in my 50s yet, but my goal weight is probably 135. I am 5'4. I started this site last October. I have lost over 30 pounds. I did it slowly and it really did not seem that difficult. I have done harder things in my life! I love this site. I am very thankful for it. I have much more energy now. I feel better about myself and I am wearing single digit sizes!!! I don't remember the last time I did that. ( I had to have been younger than 18) I am about 7 pounds from my goal. I remember thinking, "50 pounds! I will never be able to lose that much" Well, I am almost there. ( at the time, I assumed I should weigh 130 and I was around 180 pounds)

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • gmomlyn
    gmomlyn Posts: 134
    Hi there! Just signed up to start using MFP. Looks like a great tool for weight loss. I am 55 1/2, a grandmother also, and married for just over 34 years. Never had to worry about losing weight until I went through menopause. But I'm learning the hard way that I can't eat anything that I want like I used to. This will be the 3rd time in 4 years that I'm going on a diet. The first two times I dieted, I just logged what I ate and drank in a journal and stuck to 1200 calories a day, and exercised 5 times a week averaging about 45 minutes each of those 5 days. I have a treadmill, but mostly I used the WATP videos. Both times, I lost over 35 pounds in about 3 months, but when I stopped counting calories and gave up on the exercise, I gained the weight back. So, here I am again for the 3rd time. I stepped on the scale this AM and saw I was pushing 200 again. AARRGHH! Hope the 3rd time is the charm!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    Hi I am 58 too. I have been on here a year and have been losing the weight slowly but surely and doing well on exercise and losing inches. I am just now getting out of a plateau. I started a group called 50+ with 50+ to lose. There are great supportive people on here. I will have almost been married 30 years and have 2 children. My son is back home and in law school and is engaged to his high school sweetheart. My daughter is a senior and next year will be leaving for college. I love MFP. I lived in Ohio when I was in High School.

I started with Aquafit and walking and have expanded into C25K a running program and Zumba. I have been trying to fit in some weight training. I still walk and do Aquafit. I love getting fitter and just want to keep the pounds coming off.

Keri
  • Hi, I am 55 and a half, an Aussie and I joined a few months ago and then really started logging everything this week. I am chef, main and chauffer to a 10 year old Golden Retriever (Jake) who had a knee reconstruction 3 months ago and was told he had to drop about 3 kilos. I am 5'7" and currently 77 kilos (170 lbs). The highest I have been was just after menopause at around 92 kilos (200 lbs). Prior to menopause I had managed to maintain my weight at around 70 kilos (155 lbs) because I watched what I ate and exercised. I was a fat kid, then anorexic for awhile and smoked for 20 years. I lost the smokes and hit the gym in my late 30s.
    I had a rotten time at menopause because my hormones were so low that I had no energy, was depressed, stopped exercising and just sort of gave up. I finally got some bio-identical hormone replacement and almost immediately felt better. I had almost no progesterone or testosterone left in my body when I finally got tested 2 years ago. When I started treatment about 13 kilos dropped off over 9 months but I couldn’t get down to 70 kilos.
    I have been exercising regularly this year doing cycle classes but my weight sessions have not been as regular and my eating not as good as it should be. Right now I am sore as I started back doing pump classes last night. I am convinced that it didn’t hurt this much 20 years ago …lol.
  • 55 here and almost 80lbs lost in 6 months. A combination of diet and excercise. Now I have to decide when to stop.
  • Hi! I am 56 years young and have been using this website since about 2008, but very seriously since April of 2011. In the last 5 months I have lost 60 pounds by eating 1200 calories a day, walking 3 miles with my dog and eliminating sugar, wheat and caffeine. I really have never felt better in my life, and like you, I want to have a long life to enjoy my (eventual) grandchildren. No couch potatoes for me - they will be hiking in the woods with grandma!! I have a small frame and am stretching to be 5'4" : ) . My goal weight is 125 pounds, so I am hopeful by the sping or summer of next year I will be there with God's help. As of this morning I weigh 200 pounds. I try to weigh only once a month because I can get really OCD about the weight. Now I just try to do the right thing and see what the suprise weight loss is at the beginning of each month. This past month it was 10 pounds....I am very grateful. Blessings to you on this adventure, and if you would like a friend please send a request! :flowerforyou:
  • Lindaannd
    Lindaannd Posts: 3 Member
    I will be 64 in September and have 10 grandkids. I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life and have in the past been most sucessful when I count calories. I have lost 30lbs and have 30 more to go but MFP has made the whole calorie counting thing easy and for the first time in years I'm actually losing weight. My goal is to be healthy and active for as many years as I possible. I recommend MFP to any and everyone and it's on you smart phone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!