Ileostomy?

Options
I have an ileostomy. Does anyone else have one? I would like to hear about your stories. I thought maintaining my weight would be easy... you know, the nutrients you lose all that jazz. I've gained all my weight back and then some since my procedure in November. Does anyone have anything they can contribute?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Not only do I not have one, but I don't even know what that is.
  • naeswirl
    Options
    An ileostomy is a surgical opening constructed by bringing the end or loop of small intestine (the ileum) out onto the surface of the skin. Intestinal waste passes out of the ileostomy and is collected in an external pouching system stuck to the skin. Ileostomies are usually sited above the groin on the right hand side of the abdomen.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That sounds awesome!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    So I'm assuming it is for Chrons? You must have to realy watch your diet allready. I have worked with people who had an ileostomy and it did not affect them too much. One was a female nurse, young, good looking and a good worker...
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I recommend you speak with a Registered Dietitian. They have the training and resources to help you with your nutritional needs. Exercise. Do what you can, the best that you can, as often as you can. Take care and good luck!