Broad Shoulders

Options
I know this sounds like a weird questions. But I have really broad shoulder span for a female, is that going to hinder me from wearing smaller tops and etc, when I do drop weight? Its something I never thought about before and someone mentioned it to me today that I had really broad shoulders.

Or should I just push the comment aside and not think about it again?

Replies

• splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Two ways to look at it... Embrace them... that's who you are. Or push it aside. Think about how great those shoulders will look once you've lost weight, and have been working out.
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    Bump.... I'm curious too!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Push the comment aside and don't think about it again.

You will always look better when you eat right and live a healthier lifestyle -- thats a promise.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have huge shoulders....like so big I could be a linebacker...lol
    I wouldn't stress too much over it. I've lost almost 60 pounds and fit into smaller shirts....however there are some that feel like I could be in that Tommy Boy scene where Chris Farley sings "fat guy in a little coat" and splits Richard's jacket.
    I think it will all depend on you and your body!
    Best of luck!
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders too! Guess what they're great for? Tank tops and cute sleeveless tops...

Unless you're willing to carve off some bone- might as well embrace 'em! :)
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I have broad shoulders and I have trouble finding short sleeved tops that fit me...even when I'm down in weight I have to go a size or two up to get one that fits me through the shoulders correctly. I buy some of my t-shirts (like band shirts, car-related stuff) out of the guys' section and get a medium or a large and they fit me perfectly....it's hard to find more feminine styles that fit me right though.
  • robinellis
    Options
    i too have very broad shoulders. it goes with being 6 feet tall. and here's how i look at it. the wider my shoulders the smaller my waist looks in comparison. lol and i don't remember having trouble when i was younger and thinner buying shirts, my trouble was with the length of the shirt as i am long in the body aswell, so keep your fingers crossed and know that you will find exactly what you want just when you need it.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also have broad shoulders, I'm tall 5 8. I think your lucky to have broad shoulders because you get a V shaped body frame. While at my thinnest I still wore small sized tops even though I have broad shoulders, embrace what you are and don't worry about other peoples comments. The grass is always greener they say and there is no right or wrong body shape.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have huge shoulders....like so big I could be a linebacker...lol
    I've actually been told I look like a linebacker and that from a distance people think I'm a man. (at my highest weight, 270) :ohwell:

Last time I got down to 200 a male friend told me it was my smaller shoulders he noticed first :bigsmile:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have broad shoulders too ^.^ I think you should be just A-Ok. I mean, unless you get some strange surgery done, I think you will be fine.

Also, your shoulders might not be as broad as you think...when your arms thin up, your shoulders might lose weight too...annnnddd you might end up surprised :D
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have been told I have broad shoulders, I'm not so sure. I actually included them in my measurements. Since January, I have lost about 4.5 inches of a span from shoulder to shoulder. I'd say that is an improvement :)

Losing weight will help reduce the broadness a very small bit, but otherwise, yes, just accept them as part of yourself. It is not usually looked at as a bad thing, I have never heard the catty girl crowd say 'oh but she has such broad shoulders!...'
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess I will just wait and see what happens. It always detours me from buying womens clothing because the mens just fits the shoulder span better... So ready to see what I look like in a smaller size!
  • Gillian708
    Gillian708 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have HUGE shoulders, like it looks like I have shoulder pads in when I wear a jacket! But I got down to 127 (I'm about 150 now)
    lbs at one point and I felt like the broad shoulders just accentuated my smaller figure. One great thing as that when you lose the weight the roundness to your shoulders and the fullness in your upper arms will dissipate so it will be pretty (think Lauren Bacall).
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I personally love my wide shoulders! I don't seem to find a problem with shirts. Length can be an issue at times. I think my shoulders being wide helps with my confidence. I also think they look sexy. lol... You will look great as you already do! :):flowerforyou:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i have broad shoulders and a broad back? too.

Even when i was a healthy weight and able to wear a bikini, i always had to buy bras in bigger sizes because how broad my chest and shoulders are.

and button up shirts, nightmare, my body composition is just terrible obviously, they always gape at the buttons no matter how well they fit, so i don't wear them unless wearing a tank top underneath.

but it doesn't matter, i don't care what people think, if they don't like it, turn away, i just wear whatever i feel comfortable in, and having lost a lot of weight, i feel a whole lot more comfortable in almost everything (excepting the bikini obviously).
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to the shoulders of a shirt and how they sit on your shoulders. I have slightly broad shoulders even thought im a pear-hourglass-coke bottle. You want the shoulders to fit more than anything. Also. My shoulder DID decrease with the weight loss.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I always thought that a broad shoulder looks sexy. At least you're spared from wearing those stupid shoulder pads that make anyone look like they're in for a rugby match.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well when you lose weight you will definitely be smaller than you are now! Just try the shirts on and make sure they fit through the shoulders and ignore the tag inside. I wear a range of sizes depending on who makes the garment. Anywhere from a 14 to a 10!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If I remember (It was only 5 years ago), no, not a problem.

Some things do look better than others. Halter tops look awesome, boat neck tops are a little harder if they're not stretchy. T-shirts that hang off one shoulder, probably not gonna happen, but that's a once every 20 years trend anyway.... Most fabrics I don't have a problem with, but the fake satin, cap sleeves will not stay where they're supposed to, and you get these ugly pointy things on your shoulders.

Since my boobs filled out (when I was 20...late bloomer...), I sometimes have trouble with shirts not buttoning, or the fabric between buttons gapping. Budget permitting, the best thing to do is buy a size up of what you think you are, and have it tailored down.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Before I started losing weight, my bro used to think I had broad shoulders. Turns out it was just fat on my ribcage and my arms pushing my arms outward.