Strength training and protein

Options
Found this article on the web. Ignore the sections where they promote certain products and I think you are left with some good info regarding a strength training routine and the importance of protein in a diet. Quite lengthly but I found it useful, think I will use some of the training routine suggestions. I hope a few others find this useful.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    This reminds me I have yet to do my strength training today :glasses: Thanks for the reminder!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yet another article saying I should be eating more protein. I'm already capping at about 120g on a good day... ughhh. Need to figure out how to eat even more!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through it and it looks pretty good overall.
    But I don't think the high rep ranges are needed since ladies typically don't want bigger muscles. Should stick to 4-6 for strength gains.
    Nutrition and macros seem ok. As for supplements, I'd recommend whey protein as it can help you achieve your macros for the day in a pinch.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Found this article on the web. Ignore the sections where they promote certain products and I think you are left with some good info regarding a strength training routine and the importance of protein in a diet. Quite lengthly but I found it useful, think I will use some of the training routine suggestions. I hope a few others find this useful.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

very timely info for me! thanks!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    But I don't think the high rep ranges are needed since ladies typically don't want bigger muscles. Should stick to 4-6 for strength gains.
    Nutrition and macros seem ok. As for supplements, I'd recommend whey protein as it can help you achieve your macros for the day in a pinch.

I disagree. A lot of the strength I feel I've acquired has been from doing at the most 10 reps... although SOME of my exercises I like to lift heavy enough that I barely get to 6. I think it just depends on the actual muscle. I don't think I could lift heavy enough to only get to 6 with say a tricep extension but I can with a hammer curl.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I disagree. A lot of the strength I feel I've acquired has been from doing at the most 10 reps... although SOME of my exercises I like to lift heavy enough that I barely get to 6. I think it just depends on the actual muscle. I don't think I could lift heavy enough to only get to 6 with say a tricep extension but I can with a hammer curl.
    As it says in the article, there will be some strength gains at the 10 rep range but it will be more hypertrophy.

That being said, you should stick to the range that works best for you. If you stop making any gains, then you can look at lowering the rep range.