Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - September Challenge!!

Options
Hey-a Wonderful 20-Somethings - Welcome to the 12th installment of our fabulous Kickin' *kitten* Challenges!

:noway: WOA! Once this month's come and gone we will have been at it for a whole freakin' year! Not a wonder we kick so much *kitten*!

My usual schpeel:
As with the challenges that have come before, this is a place where MFPals can search out support, motivation, and advice while they are working towards their own personal goals. You're encouraged to set your own targets based on what is important to you and what challenges you face that you hope to overcome - set out goals for the month, make them attainable, and then just keep coming back to update us on your progress, help motivate others, and kick some serious *kitten*!!

Here's the 'skinny' on how this group works....

1) As our veteran members (and newbs alike) sign onto the challenge once again, a list like the one found at the bottom of this post will start forming. This is our “goals list”. If you want to join the challenge, we ask that you copy and paste the most up-to-date list and tag your own screen name and goals onto the bottom – this is so that we can keep things moving along and no one gets left behind! (If you notice that someone's been left off, due to a high volume of posting, please incorporate their goals back into the list whenever possible.)

2) Set attainable and realistic goals! I cannot stress this enough, and we will regularly be posting PSAs (as always) to this effect, but I am going to throw it out there right now just so that we're clear. This group is dedicated to supporting healthy living, first and foremost, and that includes physical, emotional and mental health. So set goals that you know you can reach, with hard work and persistence, and find ways to celebrate small victories whenever you can. This will help you stay motivated and on track! We recommend setting some non-scale goals along with a scale goal if you are trying to lose weight – seeing progress in your fitness, your measurements and your diet is a great way to celebrate small changes in your life that make a HUGE difference. Be flexible, know that things aren't going to go perfectly as planned every day, and allow some wiggle room for a bad day here and there. We all have them!

3) Once your goals are posted, stay active and enjoy the benefits of this awesome community. Oh, and invite your 20-something friends! Let's keep this group moving, ladies!

Before we get started, here's the list we compiled in August - and let's be honest, we were all a little flighty and absentee here and there. It was a really slow summer on the thread. I know that all good things must come to an end at some point, but I am really hopeful that we can kick it into high gear in September and get things moving again. This group - and all of you - are SO worth it! :bigsmile:

So - How'd you do?!?
theprettyone1010- run 30 miles
GypsyRose25 - Lose 10 lbs and/or 2-3 inches. Make it through Level 1 of 30DS. Make it through the first 2 weeks of C25K.
Bellum24 - Be under 200 pounds, lose 2-3 inches from waist are.
femme62209- make it to ONEderland, see a weight of 195 by September 1, drink 80 ounces of water every single day, eat desserts only on weekends, write at least one day a week, work out for at least 30 minutes at least 6 days a week, reach week 6 of C25K, give up scale for the month on August (HARD FOR ME!), take time every night night before I go to sleep to reflect on how I am making my body stronger and the things I am thankful for
knfowler - Cut back on Diet Coke, drink more water, start working through C25K, get back on the rowing machine
lipe44 - lose 5 pounds, workout 3 times a week while at school, stay on track with my 40/30/30 ratio
anapai- bike 20 miles a week, back under 120lbs, and log in food diary at least 28/31 days
Amberness89 - be as close as I can be to 160 lbs, 10 glasses a day, keep on track with P90X & C25K, pack lunches when school starts back, and work out at the gym as soon as school starts back as well.
SweetcheeksRN- to workout 4x a week and walk or step 50 miles (walk away the pounds, elliptical, crosstrainer) and log everything...try my best to stay under my calories and lose 8-10 lbs.
lalonmeg000- no more than 2 "out to eat" meals a week, 3hrs cardio and 3hrs of strength training a week, again .5 inch loss all around !
Fromaquizer - Run 170ks this month, eat 100g of protein a day and strength train 3 days a week
Gaia85 - Work out for at least 31 hours (including my remaining 17 days of the 30DS and Week 5 - 8 of C25K); Drink at least 8 cups of water (very hard for me!); Go down a size (14 to 12) and/or lose 8lb.
CCSunlight - Work out 2x a week after/before work. Start packing my lunch instead of buying it every day. Stop eating pizza rolls for dinner every night.
KayyB13 - Lose 4 more pounds to get to 184, workout 5-6 times a week, drink less diet soda and more water, and only step on the scale once a week! (Hardest one haha)
Ashleypeterson37- Gym at least 4-5days a week, get into the 180's, try one new recipe and run at least 3 miles every time I go to the gym! (12-15 miles a week!)
~~KanCrav.. loose 6 pounds to hit 130. Be on level three of 30DS by the end of the month.
**Evallusion -- Complete the 30 Day Shred, drink more water, take my iron pills, eat more veggies
~GuamGrly~ (Bethany) - start and continue C25K training, 8 oz. of water per day, 60-90 minutes per week of additional exercise, eat out no more than 2 days per week, and lose 4 pounds this month. Going big or going home this month!!
JessYas - Running 4x a week, and not skipping weekends :)
Kmarie115-Run a 5k under 30 min
Jillybeanruns - Continue training for marathon; minimum 96oz of water daily; make PT/PT "homework" a priority; strength train 2x a week; stretch/do yoga on a regular basis; weigh myself once in August
missjaygraham87: Lose 6 lbs, walk dog 6x a week, start C25K (and get off the first week lol), introduce strength training 3x/wk and keep track of daily water intake.
Greenhumanclay -- Sleep 7-8 hours a day 5xs a week, drink 64 oz. of h20 a day, jog 10 miles per week, gym 5 times per week, and mt. bike or hike once a week! and weigh in only on Fridays!
Allie7383- Complete Ripped in 30, continue with B210K, cut down on snacking and making excuses!!
ComfortFoodAddict- 8 water/day, No sodas!, workout at least 4x/wk, drop below 170 *at least* again, log food without omitting anything, do at least 10 minutes of stretch/yoga each morning
cmg2008 - stick with my 5K training plan, run at least 26miles, get into the 130s, continue with the 30DS shred on my CT days and continue doing all this once Grad School starts back up!
mooky1286: finish 30ds, workout 5-6x a week, continue C25K, watch my eating on my vacation!
vjohnso3: eat 5+ servings of fruits & vegetables a day, try to eat back exercise calories (always a struggle), & work out 6 days a week
mkingraham(Megan)- Stick with my 15k Training Plan, Reach ONEderland, don't over splurge during my bday celebrations, love myself better in the second half of my 20s :)
lostalykat- Start meal planning again, Start doing the new rules of lifting weight lifting routines, Get back to 170 LBS maybe Less. Start focusing on Wedding planning and making it fun.
meagalyne- Run like I stole it Aug 13 and 28 (races!) and complete weeks 6-10 of HH 1/2 Marathon Training, allowing for some missed workouts without massive guilt; drink more water than coffee; focus on social fitness and enjoy cycling/yoga/hike/racing with Tyler whenever possible, even if it means giving up a workout; ICE AND STRETCH (!!!) when you run and your body aches; and stop giving myself permission to binge/junk because of training or stress - be accountable and plan out indulgences
Mariababe81: run x3 week and do ripped in 30 x3 a week and once a week zumba. 3 rest days per week. eat cleaner!
Melanie137: Achieve 140 by the end of month, Work out 4-6x per week, Cut carbs (Fit into 2009 holiday party dress! Old work pants by September!)
emmarie: establish a routine! lots of water, weed out the bad habits..
MissLaw - excercise for a minimum of 30 minutes as least 4 times this week! :)

Post your results, along with a copy of the new list and your new goals for Sept. Please copy and paste the list as we go and tag onto the end to keep things moving. If you aren't sure, just ask, and one of the vets around here will help to set you up and get you started! Oh - And Welcome! :flowerforyou: To those new and returning, of course. Nothing but awesomeness, honesty and lots of support here.

If you are looking for a stellar community of supportive ladies who know the trials and tribulations of healthy living, finding balance, and being exponentially more kick *kitten* than the rest, you're in the right place! All we ask is that you take some time each and every day to remember why this journey is important to you and rededicate yourself to living a healthy, active and happy life.

Good luck to all you lovely ladies (and gents!) :heart: Make this month count!
Meag

Replies

• mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    woohoo!! First one to post :) So here are my August goals:

mkingraham(Megan)- Stick with my 15k Training Plan, Reach ONEderland, don't over splurge during my bday celebrations, love myself better in the second half of my 20s :)

Well I have definitely stuck with my 15k training plan which is probably the single thing I am most proud of accomplishing during my journey to date- that's right ladies, I am more proud about sticking with this thing then I am about the 47 lbs I have dropped to date :)- We will see on friday if I have reached ONEderland, but I suspect that I will be a lb to 1.5 lbs short, but you know what thats ok. I did not over splurge on my bday, infact I think I made some really great decisions, and well so far I love myself a lot in the 2nd half of my 20s. Already making a point to compliment myself in some way each day, wether it be, holy crap you just ran really far, or look at how much weight you can leg press, you totally crushed that spin class, you look really pretty in that new dress, or even how shiny my hair may be looking that particular day. I am finding that by starting my day off with one good thing about myself that I like sets me up for a fantastic rest of the day. So I would say August 100% success!!

Now September is going to be challengeing because I am going on a 7 day 6 night cruise in the middle of it, but I am not going to let that stop me. So here it goes!! Can't wait to see all of your goals!

mkingraham (Megan)- Keep up the 15k training plan, complete my 10k on 9/24, make my workouts a priority even when I'm on the cruise, get into ONEderland
  • mkingraham
    Options
    this has got to be the most disappointing start to september :( Come on ladies!!!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in this group but I would love to join if you have space!!!
    27/f
    CW: 147
    GW: 125

Currently completing 30DS
    Ordered Ripped in 30 to start in the next few days!!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Woa! Where IS everyone!??!! :ohwell:

Looks like it may just be the three of us for now !

Abby - Welcome :flowerforyou: What are your goals for Sept? We usually set goals month to month, so pick a few short term goals and join the group! :bigsmile:

AFM - Aug goals were:
    meagalyne- Run like I stole it Aug 13 and 28 (races!) and complete weeks 6-10 of HH 1/2 Marathon Training, allowing for some missed workouts without massive guilt; drink more water than coffee; focus on social fitness and enjoy cycling/yoga/hike/racing with Tyler whenever possible, even if it means giving up a workout; ICE AND STRETCH (!!!) when you run and your body aches; and stop giving myself permission to binge/junk because of training or stress - be accountable and plan out indulgences
    How do I begin? I didn't run like I stole anything for either of those races, tbh. Aug 13th I ran with friends - that was way more social than anything I've done before, and I loved it. But not a PR :wink: Aug 28th I was coping with injury so no race at all. Very disappointing. I got through week 8 of my training plan (a full week farther than in the spring) before I hurt my foot again and had to stop running all together...
    I've been trying to drink more water and less coffee. Still a work in progress and the scales are still tipping well towards the coffee end of the spectrum. Working on it!
    Social fitness has been good. Trying to get Tyler involved and I think he enjoys it. I've been cutting out Yoga because of my foot but I went swimming once and plan to do a little more of that again. Just doing whatever I can.

For the last week of Aug my only goal was to stop logging, eat as well as I could, and minimize stress to improve sleep and chill out. I did well and I continue to do well not stressing SO much about food. I'm still a bit crazy but I'm allowing myself normal treats and not getting all bent out of shape. I even had a small piece of organic coffee cake at work today! :noway:
    All systems go on icing and stretching - that's a pro. I know I need to do it to start feeling better and improve my foot situation. Keeping up with that....

For September:

meagalayne- Ice and stretch as needed and try to incorporate core and upper body work into your weekly routine; drink more H20 than you did in August; run on Sept 18th ONLY if your foot is healing/healed and if you are capable of doing so without risking further injury; continue not logging food and be good to yourself

OK LADIES - Shape up! It's September already! Now get your a$$es over here, set some goals, and get to work! :bigsmile:
  • elksy
    elksy Posts: 45
    Options
    Ooh, I'm twenty! :D I'd love to join the challenge if you have room! I don't really have to lose much weight... I'm just trying to get in shape and learn to eat well and guilt-free. Is that okay?

Height: 5'3" (and small-framed)
    CW: 120 lbs
    GW: 113 lbs
    Goal: Run 5k three times a week, start logging faithfully, develop healthy attitudes towards food.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I am happy to join
    27/f
    CW:147.9
    GW:125
    September Goals: My weight loss have been extremely slow, but I am sticking to the plan and my goal is to lose 5lb in September. I also want to run my first 5K. And my last goal will be to keep working out at least 5 days a week.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    elsky - Welcome! And yea, of course it's OK! I've been on maintenance since January and I still set goals each and every month. We're all working towards something and if we're not, then we are really not fulfilling our potential. Great goals! Developing healthy attitudes towards food is a fabulous goal - I know that I am a work in progress on that one too! Adding you to the list :bigsmile:

Abby - Same! Great goals lady - Happy to have you on board!

meagalayne- Ice and stretch as needed and try to incorporate core and upper body work into your weekly routine; drink more H20 than you did in August; run on Sept 18th ONLY if your foot is healing/healed and if you are capable of doing so without risking further injury; continue not logging food and be good to yourself
    elksy- Run 5k three times a week, start logging faithfully, develop healthy attitudes towards food.
    abby459- lose 5lbs in September; run my first 5K, keep working out at least 5 days/week.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Jillybeanruns - Continue training for marathon; minimum 96oz of water daily; make PT/PT "homework" a priority; strength train 2x a week; stretch/do yoga on a regular basis; weigh myself once in August

I kicked *kitten* in August...and really, really worked hard in Physical Therapy, with my marathon training and not doing too much too soon. Today, I graduated from physical therapy :drinker: This stint in PT was much faster than last time...only about 5 weeks vs. 5 months last time because I was pro-active and hauled my *kitten* in there before it got too bad. Before PT today, I ran 7 miles (on a road that tore up my bad ankle about 3 weeks ago) and played soccer for the first time in years! I am doing SO well that I don't need the brace he was sure I would need to play soccer next week...yes, PLAY in my first soccer game in 3 years and just about 3 months. Holy hell! Marathon training is going well, was overtraining, but I took a step back this past week and it looks like I'm through the worst of it.

I hit every single one of my goals, except for weighing myself once this month...but that was meant as an "only" once so that I didn't weigh too often...but I'm pleased I didn't meet it, because I didn't weigh myself once in August. I feel great, my body is strong and I don't feel fat or unfit or anything bad. Just strong and capable:heart:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    elksy- Run 5k three times a week, start logging faithfully, develop healthy attitudes towards food.
    abby459- lose 5lbs in September; run my first 5K, keep working out at least 5 days/week.
    jillybeanruns - Continue training for my marathon and train smart; keep up with PT exercises, stretch/do yoga, and ice; strength train a minimum of 2x a week; 96 oz of water minimum a day; work harder to get my net cals up on long run/high burn days;

Yep my goals aren't exciting. I'm pretty much in maintenance and would be happy to shed a few more pounds, but losing weight during marathon training is not a good sign (a big reason why I haven't weighed since end of June) as I'm trying not to encourage myself to do so. Want to work hard training for my marathon, but not push myself back into injury and back to physical therapy. It is likely that I'll have to go back to see my physical therapist, there's just no telling with soccer and the potential of someone kicking me...my PT told me he'll call me in a week and see how things are. He said "I don't want to seee you back here, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to come back here...so be smart and not proud!" Who me? Proud? Never! First sign of something up and I'm back there...not messing around this time! Oh and I'm kicking *kitten* with my push-up challenge, did 98 push-ups last night (not in a row) but I've never had much upper body strength, so I am pumped! I don't need any lofty goals, just need to work hard and be smart about things so I can run my marathon in 64 days!
  • greenb
    greenb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I'd like to join if possible :) I'm 27 and trying to get back to 150 lbs. I'm currently 209; I've already lost 6.8 lbs. I also want to run a 5k and work out atleast 4x a week.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Hope everyones doing well it's Friday! :drinker:

jillybeanruns - Continue training for my marathon and train smart; keep up with PT exercises, stretch/do yoga, and ice; strength train a minimum of 2x a week; 96 oz of water minimum a day; work harder to get my net cals up on long run/high burn days;
    greenb trying to get back to 150 lbs. I'm currently 209; I've already lost 6.8 lbs. I also want to run a 5k and work out atleast 4x a week.
    GreenHumanClay continue Jogging 3xs/week, Drinking plenty of h20 64. oz. minimum, Continue practicing Bikram Yoga 3xs/week, more rest 7-8 hrs, not obsess over the scale, hiking or mt. biking 2-4 times per month and be nicer and loving to my self.

August Goals:
    Greenhumanclay -- Sleep 7-8 hours a day 5xs a week, drink 64 oz. of h20 a day, jog 10 miles per week, gym 5 times per week, and mt. bike or hike once a week! and weigh in only on Fridays!

I slacked off the sleeping part, I really tried getting in more sleep but I averaged about 6 per night which isn't too bad. I drank a lot more water this month than last which was great, successfully jogged 10> miles per week, went to the gym 27 days out of the 31. :bigsmile: Mt. biked and hiked about a total of 5xs throughout the entire month but super failed with scale and weighed my self 4 maybe even 5 times a week.....:ohwell:

I plan on making September super Kick @$$ even working and going to to school full-time I have to find a healthy balance, good luck to everyone on here and all your different goals!!!
  • mkingraham
    Options
    mkingraham (Megan)- Keep up the 15k training plan, complete my 10k on 9/24, make my workouts a priority even when I'm on the cruise, get into ONEderland
    greenb trying to get back to 150 lbs. I'm currently 209; I've already lost 6.8 lbs. I also want to run a 5k and work out atleast 4x a week.
    GreenHumanClay continue Jogging 3xs/week, Drinking plenty of h20 64. oz. minimum, Continue practicing Bikram Yoga 3xs/week, more rest 7-8 hrs, not obsess over the scale, hiking or mt. biking 2-4 times per month and be nicer and loving to my self.

Loving the goals everybody keep it up!!
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm a little late I know!!! but i've been super busy with grad school and such!

August Goal: stick with my 5K training plan, run at least 26miles, get into the 130s, continue with the 30DS shred on my CT days and continue doing all this once Grad School starts back up

I did stick with my 5K training plan, not as well as I would like but I'm still running at least 3 times a week. I believe I'm a little short of 26miles for the month, so days I had to run on the treadmill and I can't do longer runs on the tread mill, I get to bored! Also I'm down to around 137, YAY! On my CT days I did 30DS some days, but once I moved back to school, I utilized the gym a lot more! Also I'm still working on maintaining all this during grad school!

September Goals: continue to run at least 3 days a week, get into the low 130s, and try not to get stressed out over grad school =D
    cmg2008: continue to run at least 3 days a week, get into the low 130s, and try not to get stressed out over grad school =D
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bumping for now but will definitely be back!!:bigsmile:
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    cmg2008: continue to run at least 3 days a week, get into the low 130s, and try not to get stressed out over grad school =D
    imarunner8908-track at least 5 days a week, lose 10lbs (5 that I gained last month and 5 more)
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

I wanted to do a quick check in since I won' be posting for the next couple days since we are on a rode trip as I type for our 4 yr anniversary and Labor Day weekend. Heading to Groveland/Yosemite for some zip lining, mt. Biking, hiking and rappelling super excited.

I started this month out ok need to really stick with my goals and challenge myself even more did some bike riding with my doggy and paid the gym a short visit.

Hope all of you Ladies have a great weekend and make healthy decisions. Happy Labor Day!!!
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    imarunner8908-track at least 5 days a week, lose 10lbs (5 that I gained last month and 5 more)
    KanCrav~Loose my last pound.. stick with my strength training.. get back in the habit of working out at least 4times a week.
  • KanCrav
    Options
    Slow thread this month!

Thank you for being here though.. I need some accountabilty or I am going to drift back into bad habits! last month was not TOO horrible.. I did still manage to get to 131 but I am not sure how. I did find a strength training workout that works for me.. after I tweeked it a bit, but kept the general idea. Lift to Burn. !~!

My goal this month is to tone. I have back fat and I feel like its bigger than it was when I was FAT! But I know I just need to spend more time concentrating on getting my body to look like I want it to. I lost the weight, not I just need to make it look good!

Again.. thank you all for being here so I have a place to come back too! Welcome newbs!!!!!!

Happy September!~!
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am back! Rush went really well, we have an awesome new pledge class! I am not even going to go into my goals of August simply because Rush had my hands tied and unfortunately last Saturday I was involved in a pretty bad car accident. I am very thankful I was able to walk away from the crash, but it has put in me in a neck brace and no physical activity including dance. My heart is mostly broken from the fact that I can dance for a while. I still want to rejoin this for September but my goals are going to be food and recovery based than physical exercise since that is limited under doctor's orders.

KanCrav~Loose my last pound.. stick with my strength training.. get back in the habit of working out at least 4times a week.
    lalonmeg000-drink 2 full nalgene bottles of water everyday! which means it has to come with me to class , only 2 meals out to eat a week, eat something for breakfast everyday
  • KanCrav
    Options
    I guess everyone is pretty busy this month too!!!!

Well... update for me.. I got a HRM but I am not very happy with it yet.. it just cant seem to figure it out. Its a Sportline I think.. IDK.. But I am trying to get serious this month and a broken HRM isnt going to help keep my spirits up!~

Its a rainy monday here in Germany but I have my lisence back so I have no excuses not making it to the gym.. so here goes!~!