Have you ever considered gaining weight to get G-B surgery?

2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I have a friend who gained to get the surgery done. While I don't recommend it, she's fine and has kept the weight off for several years now. She now lives a healthier happyer lifestyle that includes monitoring diet and exercise.
  • I am not sure if you mean gastric band or gastric bypass. The two operations are VERY different as far as risk and post-op complications. Both are less risky than they were at once time since they are now done lapriscopically. Banding is much less risky than bypass because the big risk of the bypass is that the pouch can leak post-surgery, which could become peritonitis. But, the pouch tests done before you leave the hospital now are more effective than in past years.

If you check national statistics, you will find that the death rate is actually not as high as the forum responses make it appear. BUT, with that said, I would NOT have gained weight (unless it was a few pounds) to qualify for either surgery. But, it's also a VERY personal decision and it you honestly feel that you are sick and tired of yo-yo dieting and you feel that you need to get a significant amount of weight off (over 100 pounds) in order to be able to exercise and feel better so that you can permanently change your habits, then I can understand wanting to go that route.

Remember, many people who have bypass surgery are morbidly obese and have quite a few medical problems that make surgery, in general, risking, especially anesthesia, so when they elect this surgery, it's in order to, literally, save their lives. In most cases, statistically, they have a better chance of surviving the surgery than they have of surviving their current livestyle for much more time.

It bothers me to hear that a 21 year old died for choosing the surgery "over" a dietician because I have unlimited access to nutritionists as part of my program and there are no co-pays or out of pocket charges when I see my nutritionist.

People with the lapband are NOT prone to malabsorption problems because our stomachs are NOT rerouted or bypassed. And those with bypass surgery, are well informed of the need to take vitamins and certain supplements for the rest of your life.

I now know 10 or more personal friends, co-workers, and/or relatives who have had wls of both types and are very successful. I know of 1 person who gained back a lot of weight because he just started eating after 8 years, and another person who gained back 30 pounds of 120 and just can't keep those 30 off. I know hundreds through support group. Of all of the people I have met, most of very happy with the operation, none have died and ONE person, the guy who gained back a lot of his weight, changed his mind to thinking the surgery is a waste of time, though he acknowledged for the first 5 years, that it saved his life.

My doctor's practice (a total of three surgeons) has been around for over 10 years and they do over 1,000 surgeries per year and have had NO fatalities. That's right....ZERO. That is below the national average, but, there are doctors out there with similar results.

THE ONLY REASON I write this is because I read threads here where I hear a lot of second hand stories about the experiences of friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. I even know people who bash their friends' surgeries when the friends are happy with the results. There are a lot of people checking out this thread because surgery is at the back of their minds and they are coming here for information. I just want to provide information for those people. So, if any of you are considering surgery, go to an informational seminar and talk to actual patients and doctors where you can also find out other good sources of information prior to making any decision. Get your information first hand from patients.

I can give you first hand info on the band. I know plenty of bypass patients if you would ever like to talk to people. I am not trying to hype my doctor, but he has some good success stories on his site and he probably also has info on the procedures. You can google him, Dr. Arif Ahmad, Port Jefferson, NY at John T. Mather Hospital. It is a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

Surgery is NOT for the uncommitted. You have to really want to make changes or you will not be successful and most doctors will not perform the surgery. You have to go through a LOT just to be approved. Good luck to all of you!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    I remember a woman who called in to a radio show a few years ago. She wasn't heavy enough to qualify for gastric bypass surgery, so she was having a great time eating all these junk foods to gain enough weight. Unfortunately, gastric bypass probably wouldn't even work for someone like her who has a food addiction.

I'm sure there are a lot more people out there who do this. It's sad.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    I really thought this was a joke thread at first :noway:

me too why on earth would someone A.) willing gain weight when already overweight and B.) subject them self to a non-need surgery when all they need to do is wake up and watch what they eat and add small amounds of movement into there day

Not to mention the cost of said surgery and recovery No thank you I`ll stick with the Healthy way
  • THE ONLY REASON I write this is because I read threads here where I hear a lot of second hand stories about the experiences of friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. I even know people who bash their friends' surgeries when the friends are happy with the results. There are a lot of people checking out this thread because surgery is at the back of their minds and they are coming here for information. I just want to provide information for those people. So, if any of you are considering surgery, go to an informational seminar and talk to actual patients and doctors where you can also find out other good sources of information prior to making any decision. Get your information first hand from patients.

I can give you first hand info on the band. I know plenty of bypass patients if you would ever like to talk to people. I am not trying to hype my doctor, but he has some good success stories on his site and he probably also has info on the procedures. You can google him, Dr. Arif Ahmad, Port Jefferson, NY at John T. Mather Hospital. It is a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

Surgery is NOT for the uncommitted. You have to really want to make changes or you will not be successful and most doctors will not perform the surgery. You have to go through a LOT just to be approved. Good luck to all of you!

Well said, Nancy.

And to the OP, no, I would never consider ~gaining~ weight to have surgery. I did not have to...here is my story. I had RnY in 2006.

About 8 years ago, one of my close friends had surgery. At the time, I told her, "you are so brave, I could never do this". Why did I say this? Well, where do you think the minority of the patients that DO have complications come for treatment??? Why, the ER of course. And as an ER nurse all I ever saw were the complications, not the successes. The successes are by far the larger number of patients.

About 5 years ago, however, I saw how my friend had had such a success with her surgery, and I had continued to struggle with my weight (which I have been doing since childhood- when I was 8, I weighed 167 pounds, a memory crystallized in my head, getting on the scale at the doctor's office and when I was 12, I lost 18 pounds down to 182 and my parents got me contacts--was supposed to lose 20 but they caved, and after I got the contacts the weight came right back on). I have been on almost every diet out there and could loose weight, but even after losing some weight I would still technically be considered overweight, but then I would gain it back and tack on 20+ more pounds. I also was having a harder time just doing activities of daily living without expending a great amount of energy, becoming short of breath with simple activities such as taking a flight of stairs, and noticing little things like ankle swelling, which at 35 WAS NOT NORMAL. I also had a picture taken at that time for a photo ID (see my profile if you want to see the pic~ it is in my pictures) and could not believe that that person was me. My weight was so OUT.OF.CONTROL. I knew that I had to make a change, and nothing in the past had worked long term for me. So, I went to a information session offered by my friend's surgical group.

I learned a lot about the surgery, the statistics, the complication rate, which by the way, is not higher than other abdominal surgeries for most people. I also learned that for those people who are classified as morbidly obese, having a Body Mass Index of between 30% and 49%, the success rate for long term success has been shown to be as high at 93%. I liked my odds with that one. I also was fairly healthy despite my weight at the time, but I knew that if I continued that there were many co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc). that could be coming my way with age.

The process prior to surgery and then therapy after surgery was as important to my success as the surgery was, IMO. There are a lot of "head" issues that need to be dealt with as well. The surgery was just a tool to get me started and now that I am 5 years out I have to "buckle down" and do the hard work to maintain. One of the wonderful things that I have noticed after surgery is that I know when to stop. Physically now, I feel full. I had lost this ability to feel satiety prior to my surgery. Also, since surgery, probably due to the decrease in my grehlin, I do not feel physical hunger. Yep, that's 5 years without physical hunger. Now head hunger is another issue. It is the devil, and I really have to watch out for this still. However, as I said before, therapy post-op is so important to success, IMO. I have learned in therapy strategies to help with the head hunger. Most all of my meals are planned now. I eat every 3-4 hours. I am maintaining 5 years out , actually I am losing...I want to lose a few more just because :)

My life is so much better since the surgery. There are so many simple things in life that I now enjoy that I could not before...crossing my legs, sitting comfortably in a booth, running, wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, having men pause to open doors for me, having salespeople help me when I shop for clothes...the list goes on...

You will find many people on this site saying surgery is the easy-way out. Well, it is not. Yes, the weight comes off, but there are certain rules that you have to follow to be successful. Protein first, no drinking with meals, planning your meals, eating every 3-4 hours, exercising... However, I weighed the risks vs. the benefits and decided that it was right for me.

Surgery was the best decision I have ever made. However, that being said, I tell people that it is a very personal decision, and it may not be right for them. I encourage anyone who may be interested to do your research...and then decide!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    At the risk of offending some people who have had the surgery, I do have quite a strong opinion on this and as far as I can tell, G-B surgery is in most cases unnecessary.

It also requires just as much if not more willpower than dieting.

Why can't people just pretend they have a gastric band, and stick to the diet that you're meant to when you have one? You would avoid surgery and get exactly the same results.

It basically just forces you to change what you eat, rather than you electing to do it yourself. I can't really understand it. Do people really need to go to such lengths rather than having a little willpower? I am sorry if I offended anyone but this is how I feel about it. I don't mean to spread hate, I'm not that kind of person, I just wanted to make my point. I would really like someone to explain it to me, maybe I just don't see it from their point of view.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    My wife had the surgery 6 yrs. ago, lost 100 lbs. right away and slooooowly gained it back.

Here is the problems with Gastric Bypass surgeries (no matter what kind it is: band, roux-n-y, or other)

You lose fat, but you LOSE MORE MUSCLE!!!!!
    You have to take multiple (about a dozen) different pills every day, for life!
    Your lack of food intake slows your metabolism.
    You are treating some of the physiological things, but not the psychological reasons for the weight gain.

Do I still need to go on?
    I was against her doing it, and believe diet and exercise is the way to go. Wished they had shows like the Biggest Loser THEN.
  • Look if I was 10kg away from it-then yeah I would consider it.
    I am a nurse and have seen many sucess stories from GB, and only heard secondhand negative stories.
    Right now we have two patients on the ward who have had it, both are now a healthy weight. One, a man, is in his mid 30s and looks great, the other, a women in her mid 60s, got it done after breast cancer (a cancer that being obese has a direct correlation with), she looks good too.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    I am not sure if you mean gastric band or gastric bypass. The two operations are VERY different as far as risk and post-op complications. Both are less risky than they were at once time since they are now done lapriscopically. Banding is much less risky than bypass because the big risk of the bypass is that the pouch can leak post-surgery, which could become peritonitis. But, the pouch tests done before you leave the hospital now are more effective than in past years.

If you check national statistics, you will find that the death rate is actually not as high as the forum responses make it appear. BUT, with that said, I would NOT have gained weight (unless it was a few pounds) to qualify for either surgery. But, it's also a VERY personal decision and it you honestly feel that you are sick and tired of yo-yo dieting and you feel that you need to get a significant amount of weight off (over 100 pounds) in order to be able to exercise and feel better so that you can permanently change your habits, then I can understand wanting to go that route.

Remember, many people who have bypass surgery are morbidly obese and have quite a few medical problems that make surgery, in general, risking, especially anesthesia, so when they elect this surgery, it's in order to, literally, save their lives. In most cases, statistically, they have a better chance of surviving the surgery than they have of surviving their current livestyle for much more time.

It bothers me to hear that a 21 year old died for choosing the surgery "over" a dietician because I have unlimited access to nutritionists as part of my program and there are no co-pays or out of pocket charges when I see my nutritionist.

People with the lapband are NOT prone to malabsorption problems because our stomachs are NOT rerouted or bypassed. And those with bypass surgery, are well informed of the need to take vitamins and certain supplements for the rest of your life.

I now know 10 or more personal friends, co-workers, and/or relatives who have had wls of both types and are very successful. I know of 1 person who gained back a lot of weight because he just started eating after 8 years, and another person who gained back 30 pounds of 120 and just can't keep those 30 off. I know hundreds through support group. Of all of the people I have met, most of very happy with the operation, none have died and ONE person, the guy who gained back a lot of his weight, changed his mind to thinking the surgery is a waste of time, though he acknowledged for the first 5 years, that it saved his life.

My doctor's practice (a total of three surgeons) has been around for over 10 years and they do over 1,000 surgeries per year and have had NO fatalities. That's right....ZERO. That is below the national average, but, there are doctors out there with similar results.

THE ONLY REASON I write this is because I read threads here where I hear a lot of second hand stories about the experiences of friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. I even know people who bash their friends' surgeries when the friends are happy with the results. There are a lot of people checking out this thread because surgery is at the back of their minds and they are coming here for information. I just want to provide information for those people. So, if any of you are considering surgery, go to an informational seminar and talk to actual patients and doctors where you can also find out other good sources of information prior to making any decision. Get your information first hand from patients.

Exactly, I think people spout off about surgery without really knowing what it takes. I had something called gastric sleeve surgery. I don't have malabsorption, I lost a total of 81 lbs now, and just like everyone else, I'm dedicated, I count my calories, I exercise and I work my *kitten* off!

And to those who say we look 'old' I look YOUNGER, Years YEARS YEARS younger, I don't have gross skin hanging around me, and I feel amazing. I've not had any post surgery complications, and there isn't any reason I would... you see because with my surgery the doctor removed a good portion of my stomach, allowing me to eat like a baby for a few months, (malnutrition, I'm sure which was supplemented with nasty protein drinks to keep me healthy) I have to watch my calories just like anyone else...

Surgery is not an easy fix... it's another TOOL to help you lose weight, but just like everyone else who is losing it...we have to work hard as well...

Could I have lost the weight on my own, most likely, but I chose this TOOL, just like others choose different tools. So you haters out there who want to act hateful about those of us who had insurance 'pay' for the surgery, etc... get a grip.... we used resources available to us to help us be successful.
  • kdouglas11
    I really thought this was a joke thread at first :noway:

me too why on earth would someone A.) willing gain weight when already overweight and B.) subject them self to a non-need surgery when all they need to do is wake up and watch what they eat and add small amounds of movement into there day

Not to mention the cost of said surgery and recovery No thank you I`ll stick with the Healthy way

Do you know that Gastric surgery has a higher success rate than so called dieting... and I can assure you, I'm quite healthy. Your comments are offensive.
  • kdouglas11

Well said, Nancy.

And to the OP, no, I would never consider ~gaining~ weight to have surgery. I did not have to...here is my story. I had RnY in 2006.

About 8 years ago, one of my close friends had surgery. At the time, I told her, "you are so brave, I could never do this". Why did I say this? Well, where do you think the minority of the patients that DO have complications come for treatment??? Why, the ER of course. And as an ER nurse all I ever saw were the complications, not the successes. The successes are by far the larger number of patients.

About 5 years ago, however, I saw how my friend had had such a success with her surgery, and I had continued to struggle with my weight (which I have been doing since childhood- when I was 8, I weighed 167 pounds, a memory crystallized in my head, getting on the scale at the doctor's office and when I was 12, I lost 18 pounds down to 182 and my parents got me contacts--was supposed to lose 20 but they caved, and after I got the contacts the weight came right back on). I have been on almost every diet out there and could loose weight, but even after losing some weight I would still technically be considered overweight, but then I would gain it back and tack on 20+ more pounds. I also was having a harder time just doing activities of daily living without expending a great amount of energy, becoming short of breath with simple activities such as taking a flight of stairs, and noticing little things like ankle swelling, which at 35 WAS NOT NORMAL. I also had a picture taken at that time for a photo ID (see my profile if you want to see the pic~ it is in my pictures) and could not believe that that person was me. My weight was so OUT.OF.CONTROL. I knew that I had to make a change, and nothing in the past had worked long term for me. So, I went to a information session offered by my friend's surgical group.

I learned a lot about the surgery, the statistics, the complication rate, which by the way, is not higher than other abdominal surgeries for most people. I also learned that for those people who are classified as morbidly obese, having a Body Mass Index of between 30% and 49%, the success rate for long term success has been shown to be as high at 93%. I liked my odds with that one. I also was fairly healthy despite my weight at the time, but I knew that if I continued that there were many co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc). that could be coming my way with age.

The process prior to surgery and then therapy after surgery was as important to my success as the surgery was, IMO. There are a lot of "head" issues that need to be dealt with as well. The surgery was just a tool to get me started and now that I am 5 years out I have to "buckle down" and do the hard work to maintain. One of the wonderful things that I have noticed after surgery is that I know when to stop. Physically now, I feel full. I had lost this ability to feel satiety prior to my surgery. Also, since surgery, probably due to the decrease in my grehlin, I do not feel physical hunger. Yep, that's 5 years without physical hunger. Now head hunger is another issue. It is the devil, and I really have to watch out for this still. However, as I said before, therapy post-op is so important to success, IMO. I have learned in therapy strategies to help with the head hunger. Most all of my meals are planned now. I eat every 3-4 hours. I am maintaining 5 years out , actually I am losing...I want to lose a few more just because :)

My life is so much better since the surgery. There are so many simple things in life that I now enjoy that I could not before...crossing my legs, sitting comfortably in a booth, running, wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, having men pause to open doors for me, having salespeople help me when I shop for clothes...the list goes on...

You will find many people on this site saying surgery is the easy-way out. Well, it is not. Yes, the weight comes off, but there are certain rules that you have to follow to be successful. Protein first, no drinking with meals, planning your meals, eating every 3-4 hours, exercising... However, I weighed the risks vs. the benefits and decided that it was right for me.

Surgery was the best decision I have ever made. However, that being said, I tell people that it is a very personal decision, and it may not be right for them. I encourage anyone who may be interested to do your research...and then decide!

Very well said! People just don't get it sometimes! I've also had surgery, and while I"m not at a 2 piece suit yet, I'm hoping next summer! :) Congratulations.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    My wife had the surgery 6 yrs. ago, lost 100 lbs. right away and slooooowly gained it back.

Here is the problems with Gastric Bypass surgeries (no matter what kind it is: band, roux-n-y, or other)

You are treating some of the physiological things, but not the psychological reasons for the weight gain.

I was against her doing it, and believe diet and exercise is the way to go. Wished they had shows like the Biggest Loser THEN.

Please go read my "the Biggest Loser casting call" msg board. Thx for sharing your wife's story, best of luck to both of you. :flowerforyou:
  • kdouglas11
    At the risk of offending some people who have had the surgery, I do have quite a strong opinion on this and as far as I can tell, G-B surgery is in most cases unnecessary.

Why can't people just pretend they have a gastric band, and stick to the diet that you're meant to when you have one? You would avoid surgery and get exactly the same results.

It basically just forces you to change what you eat, rather than you electing to do it yourself. I can't really understand it. Do people really need to go to such lengths rather than having a little willpower? I am sorry if I offended anyone but this is how I feel about it. I don't mean to spread hate, I'm not that kind of person, I just wanted to make my point. I would really like someone to explain it to me, maybe I just don't see it from their point of view.

It forces you to eat less, it forces you to feel full, in order to let your body consume the fat.... some people say you lose more muscle... No you don't, not if you take your protein like you're supposed. I'm on 3 'pills' a day, which are what I took before my surgery.

It's a tool to help you lose weight, it's not a be all end all to a weight problem.. .it helps you retrain your body to eat less... and yes eventually you stop losing and you still have to work. I exercise for an hour a day... I keep my calories at about 1400 a day... and I work... some days I'm better than others... but it's not like surgery cured me of my eating issues... I am working at it every day, so I can be successful.

I hope that helps... some people don't understand it, but it's a method that does work for SOME people, just like other tools work for some...
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Yeah, be careful what you say since some people like to rage about this topic...
  • If there was an "easy way" to dieting, we wouldn't be here now...would we?

Oh and with lapband, I take one multivitamin a day and that's all I need. It has all the supplements then when I didn't have the surgery and I was taking 8 different vitamins. Regardless surgery or not you have to take supplements. It's a part of life.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Haha, I thought about it before I started losing the weight the first time. I looked up how much, at my height, the insurance would cover for me to get it. I was 20lb off...that was a shock and a kick in the butt. Then I got pregnant and shot up in weight and could easily have gotten the surgery if I wanted bc of how much I weighed. I opted to do it all myself. So far, best choice I've made.
  • My wife had the surgery 6 yrs. ago, lost 100 lbs. right away and slooooowly gained it back.

You are SO FACTUALLY wrong about so much of the information you have just given. As a lapband patient, I take a multivitamin and a calcium chew every day....something I should do anyway. I no longer have to take my cholesterol medication and my blood pressure medication is cut in half. I am no longer taking Advair for asthma.
    I have more muscle than I did when before surgery because I can walk around more.
    My metabolism is fine....I eat 1500 calories a day.
    Shame on you for passing on INCORRECT information about the facts of WLS!!!! I have several hundred fellow patients to back me up on this!
  • At the risk of offending some people who have had the surgery, I do have quite a strong opinion on this and as far as I can tell, G-B surgery is in most cases unnecessary.

That's not how it works. The band places the food near the nerves that send messages of fullness to the brain so people can get back in touch with their bodies signals. Maybe you should go to www.lapband.com and educate yourself a bit if you want to have a more informed opinion about the subject? It's very different than your opinion, thank goodness. LOL
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    My mom and my sister both had it done. I had considered it at one point. Had even seen two different drs on two different occasions. The first was my mom's dr back in 1990. I did not weigh enough. I was only like 4 lbs away. So dr told me it would be easier to gain than to lose. I think it was only two weeks til I had another appt to check weight gain. I was eating SOOOO much. However, I lost 8 lbs. I did not consider it again until late 90s when my sister was going to have it done in 2000. Everytime I went something stop it from happening. NO WAY will I even consider it again!!!! (Even though my mom and sister both did well and both try to talk me into it and say they would do it again)