stopping cravings?

Options
i've been on my diet for 10 days now (TEN WHOLE DAYS I KNOW RIGHT) and i've started having MAJOR fast food cravings, it hasn't been easy switching my diet- i know i have a lot of issues with food besides from simply eating too much of it, but i've been able to deal with it till the last couple of days. i'm absolutely CRAVING fast food- if i make it till 1 am i'm fine since that's when the last one closes, but up till then it can be a constant struggle, and something i can't stop thinking about it.

any advice? i don't want to go and get a healthier option from the restaurant, because the food itself is only about 10% of it, the rest is just like... the feeling i got after eating all that fatty/sugary food. any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I learned that if you want to be a certain weight, to follow the power of 10s for your caloric intake. So if you want to be 140 lbs and if this is a realistic goal (I don't know anything about you nor am I a qualified person to make that confirmation), you should be eating no less than 140x10= 1400 calories to stop binging.

Try getting your nutrition before taste. I know it's difficult, but it will help with your cravings, trust me! Drink your water!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    It takes a lot of self-control. Think about what is the best for your health. Is fast food worth the sickly feeling that comes after eating it? Is fast food it worth damaging your health?

Here's a thread that has some tips to prevent overeating, since you said you are "eating too much"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332261-prevent-binges-and-overeating
  • smoore85
    smoore85 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i know it sound strange but i take a green tea tablet which helps stop my cravings,, i am terrible for pizza,, my fave, i wood literally eat it till i feel sick,, i try to fill my self up wiv salad if get the craving for bad food low cals but filling,,
    also try putting the money u wood spend if u gave in, in to a pot and at end of the week treat ureself to something non food related, piece of clothing, shoes, book, cd etc,, that worked for me when i cut out chocolate. u will be amazed how much u can save,, i didnt realise how much i had been spending,, xgood luck, u can do this, think of the bigger picture, xx
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    thanks guys :D i'm not actually hungry tho- i'm eating enough to where i'm not hungry, but the fastfood+bingeing are just so connected for me, i can't imagine doing one without the other :/
  • cfrock
    Options
    I tend to chew minty gum when i feel like I'm about to eat out of boredom.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth.
    That's what I do to stop cravings.

Or I do something to distract myself. Writing, drawing, reading, something that's takes a bit of mind power.
    Good luck. ^^
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You're eating under 1000 calories a day. I've seen as low as the 500's, flipping back a few days. I saw perhaps 1 day where you hit your calorie goal. Let's call this what it is. It's called hunger. Go eat something.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    ooh, brushing teeth? hahah, i'll try that next time!

@taso- i know what i'm eating, but i assure you, i'm not hungry. i have some mental issues going on and my sleep schedule and hunger fluctuate wildly- before i started this diet, i would sometimes forget to eat for a day, and then a week later there wouldn't be a second when i wasn't chewing anything.
    so right now, i'm in a not-hungry mood, but trying to eat at normal times. when it changes, i'm sure i'll be up to 1200 :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    ooh, brushing teeth? hahah, i'll try that next time!

@taso- i know what i'm eating, but i assure you, i'm not hungry. i have some mental issues going on and my sleep schedule and hunger fluctuate wildly- before i started this diet, i would sometimes forget to eat for a day, and then a week later there wouldn't be a second when i wasn't chewing anything.
    so right now, i'm in a not-hungry mood, but trying to eat at normal times. when it changes, i'm sure i'll be up to 1200 :)

your mind is not hungry but your body is. your hunger signals are not working reliably. so pre-plan you menu and eat what you planned, hungry or not. you will become healthier and the cravings will go away.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    i have some mental issues going on and my sleep schedule and hunger fluctuate wildly- before i started this diet, i would sometimes forget to eat for a day, and then a week later there wouldn't be a second when i wasn't chewing anything.

please, for the love of all that is good in this world, tell me you have a doctor, sweetie. I understand the not being hungry and forgetting to eat. I have been there, done that and still fight it. If you do not have a doctor for the other stuff, think about finding one.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    @taso- it's more like my body's not hungry, but my mind desperately wants multiple cheeseburgers >_< i'll try the menu thing tho!

@bry- have an appointment next month :D it's hard to get there, because the appointment is scheduled so far in advance and by then i end up either a. feeling like absolutely nothing's wrong or b. am on a reversed sleeping schedule where i wake up at 10pm or so and fall asleep at 10am, and fall asleep before i leave.

those are pretty crappy excuses tho, so i WILL get there this time! thank you for asking :)