insomnia anyone?

Options
Fairly new...still trying to figure out everything going on with me, but the lack of sleep is killing me. Has anyone experienced insomnia type behavior when they first started changing their diet/exercise? Also I've been having my hamstrings tighten up on me....and think this may be the reason why I cant stay asleep. Any thoughts?

Replies

• whatwentwrong
    Options
    i have insomnia about a third of the time, not diet-related, AND i've woken up with cramps so bad i've started crying D: i usually just try to deal with the insomnia, but for the cramps i've found potassium helps! i ate a banana every morning for a few days, and they stopped :)
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's my diet/lifestyle change but I'm having insomnia. I get somewhere between 4-6 hours/night, usually wake up around 2-3am and stay awake for 1-2 hours. I feel drained in the afternoons and it's annoying.

Even though I exercise regularly, I am an anxious person and once I wake up to use the restroom or whatever, I lie awake worrying.

I'm curious to see what others suggest. BTW, I've tried Ambien, Nature's Made "Sleep", Melatonin, and Advil PM. The Advil PM worked best for me. Ambien allowed me to fall asleep but I was groggy the next day. "Sleep" gave me weird dreams and a dry mouth and I always woke up in the middle of the night. Melatonin gave me horrible nightmares.
  • jwgca
    jwgca Posts: 44
    Options
    nocturnal leg cramps are the worst, something i have had to live with since i was 13 ;(
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I dont sleep more than 4 hours at a time :(
  • pipistrula
    Options
    Ugh! It's KILLING me! I don't know WHAT it is about the change in diet and exercise, but I basically haven't slept right since the day I started (a month ago now). About once a week I'll crash and sleep for like 12 hours, but besides that I run on an average of 4 hours a night. I can't wait till it stops. It's not hunger pains, it's not energy, as I run at 6am, I honestly have no idea what it is...
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    God, 4 hours a night would be heaven! Especially if that's 4 hours unbroken sleep. I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep, I wake pretty much every hour. This has been going on since I was a small child so I doubt it's going to change now.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When I was younger (and lighter), I slept like (er) a baby! I would get up perhaps once to pee at night. I could easily sleep in till noon! Beautiful, deep, sound sleep . Now I too often suffer from insomnia and interrupted sleep. I blame my weight as well as the stressors of the day. I also have the annoying habit of waking up at least 3 times at pee. I CAN however make a few recommendations re some things I have found which makes my slumber a little more peaceful and less interrupted:

1. I have learnt to avoid coffee and caffeinated drinks shortly prior to sleep (I know, it's obvious but sometimes I can't help it)
    2. I have learnt to avoid exercise too soon before bed. It doesn't seem to tire me out, it hypes me up!
    3. I found that avoiding the computer/iPad/iPhone at least an hour before sleep (surprisingly hard to do) helps me nod off quicker.
    4. If I can't sleep within 15 minutes of hitting bed, it's better to wake up and do something like reading a book rather than lying awake in bed for a long time.
    5. A nice warm bath and nice warm cup of milk with a touch of honey really does work! (though now that I am calorie counting I don't seem to over indulge in the latter).
    6. I dont bother with sleeping medication. I know that my body would get used too it too quickly.
    7. Funnily enough (and I'm not 100 percent about this) but I think if I have more water during the day (but not within a few hours of sleep) I seem to wake up less frequently with the urge to pee than if I am not properly hydrated)
    8. Noise is important. I can't sleep if others are up!

Hope this helps... Like to see more tips from others
  • walkdmc
    Options
    Any of the insomniacs around?

My DH got called into work at 1:30am and I've been awake ever since. Last night, I couldn't fall asleep until Jimmy Fallon was 1/2 over. This stinks.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am always up until 2 or 3 am. Sometimes even later! I hate it at times
  • walkdmc
    Options
    What time do you wake up?

I don't have a fixed schedule since I'm a SAHM and the kids are still on Summer vacation. So, I get up around 7:30am and still feel tired.
  • Nette2172
    Nette2172 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have always had issues sleeping. I fall asleep just fine but wake up at 1 or 2 and then I am up for 2-3 hours. It makes for a rough day at work the next day! I haven't found any relief since most medications make me too groggy when I am getting up. I have just been dealing with it the best I can.