Anyone know how to figure out percentages?

Options
Hi there,
I was trying to figure out how to allocate my calories into percentages--I'm shooting for 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat, but I have absolutely no idea how to figure it out. Maybe its because I'm just awful at math and am clueless, but if someone knows I would definitely appreciate some assistance. My calorie intake is 1300 if anyone knows how to plug in the percentages...Thanks alot! Happy New Year!

Replies

• rachel512
    rachel512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I was trying to figure out how to allocate my calories into percentages--I'm shooting for 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat, but I have absolutely no idea how to figure it out. Maybe its because I'm just awful at math and am clueless, but if someone knows I would definitely appreciate some assistance. My calorie intake is 1300 if anyone knows how to plug in the percentages...Thanks alot! Happy New Year!
  • lolakey
    Options
    You can change your percentage by going to HOME, GOALS, CHANGE GOALS, and CUSTOM GOALS. No math involved. :wink:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    You can choose the percentages of how you want each micro nutrient to make up that 1300 here on mfp. Under the "my home" tab, click "goals". The click "change goals" and choose custom. Then you can select the percentages you want for each nutrient.

The other way you can do this is by going 0.4 x 1300, which is 520 calories. So you need 520 calories to come from protein. There is 4 calories per gram of protein, so that's 520 divided by 4, which equals 130 g of protein per day.

For carbs, it's 0.3 x 1300 which is 390. So you need 390 calories to come from carbs. There is 4 calories per gram of carb, so you need to eat 98 g of carbs per day.

For fat, it's 0.3 x 1300 which is 390 again. So You need 390 calories to come from fat per day. There is 9 calories per carb, so thats approximately 43 g of fat per day.

Hope that helps!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how to figure out percentages?

You mean do math???.
    Not I.... I play around with math until I brush up against an answer that looks right.

But it looks like those folks who already posted directed you to what you needed. :wink: