Favorite running clothes for overweight folks?

Options
I take a 1x in women's plus sizes and am planning on running my first 5K on Oct. 1. The run will be in Fl. and I expect temps to be in the 80-90 degree range. I'd like a moisture wicking shirt and would love suggestions.

I also want suggestions on pants. I currently wear capri-style workout pants and like them but am open to other suggestions. I weigh 238 and don't want to wear short shorts.

Thanks!

Replies

• pipistrula
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k October 8th! Cool! Also, I'm only slightly under your weight. Personally I love a lightweight dark-colored cotton tshirt, and I use sweats with ankle cuffs up to my knees or capris yoga pants.

Best of luck in your 5k!!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm about 185 ish now, but started at 230. and i used to wear 3/4 track pants (with the waist tie thingy- that's very important because as you lose weight your pants start to fall down when you run, but you're not small enough to bother with a smaller pair). and just a t shirt. i didn't get the moisture wicking stuff until i knew i was going to stick with it, and bought it for myself as a reward for achievements reached.
    just be aware though that i'd suggest getting a wicking tshirt in 1 size larger than you like to think you are! they're expensive, and i found that if i bought them in my size (UK 18) that they would ride up over my stomach while i was running (ALL of them were like this). so i either would not wear them or i'd spend the entire time continually pulling down my tshirt and feeling quite self conscious. which is the last thing i wanted.
    now i'm smaller and have gradually accrued more stuff over time, i either wear tight sports trousers- i like ionx skins, or sports legging things from k mart. and my t shirts fit better.
    but it is worth spending the money on a decent bra, and then getting a crop top to go over the top of it- it's hard enough running when you're overweight without thinking people are looking at your boobs jiggling too. extra security is always good.
    but the right knickers are important as well! you don't want chafing.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to check out those track pants.