walking a mini marathon

Options
Has anyone ever walked a mini? I am thinking about doing one next spring during the Louisville Derby Festival marathon. I have started doing the training for walking a marathon but I may slow it down because I will not be doing it until next spring. Anybody have any suggestions? Its a 14 week plan http://www.marathonwalking.com/schedule_ez_half.html, I think the long walks can be scaled back and paced let me know what you think :)

Replies

• kmumansky
    Options
    I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer 5 years in a row. It's a marathon walk on Saturday followed by a Half marathon on Sunday. Its HARD...I admit to not training at all, as long as I kept my pace at a little over 3 miles an hour I was fine. Just be prepared with extra socks...and blister treatments. And know that your feet will hurt...a lot! Pretty much every year after the 10th mile I couldn't even feel my feet anymore LOL.

It is a great sense of accomplishment once you finish! They say with training that you shouldn't walk the full distance at all during your training maybe a few miles less...then at the actual event you go the full way. I dunno how true that is, but that's what all the people who trained for the avon walk were told to do.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired. I had never considered walking a marathon before and your post has peaked my interest. I just signed up for the Long Beach, CA half marathon. My walking pace is 3 miles per hour, so hopefully I can complete the route in just over 4 hours. I do walk everyday for about 3-4 miles, so hopefully I won't need to up my training too much. Really looking forward to this!
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired. I had never considered walking a marathon before and your post has peaked my interest. I just signed up for the Long Beach, CA half marathon. My walking pace is 3 miles per hour, so hopefully I can complete the route in just over 4 hours. I do walk everyday for about 3-4 miles, so hopefully I won't need to up my training too much. Really looking forward to this!

yay! you u can do it! My friend is trying to get me to sign up for a mini in october but I dont know if I will be ready that soon :)