Struggling After Surgery

Options
I had surgery on my foot June 1. I have gained back 6 pounds - not a lot a know, but still a GAIN. I am not able to exercise normally yet on my foot (bunion removed and flat foot reconstruction). I start physical therapy on it tomorrow to gain back a full range of motion. Admittedly and ashamed, I have not been closely monitoring what I eat either. Comfort food has definitely been my friend.

Is anyone else struggling after having any kind of surgery and what advice do you have?

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in the winter and it has been tough. I am having trouble getting up to the same speed and level I was.
    All I can say is just don't quit.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Even though you are not able to exercise you can still lose. I lost all the weight I wanted without exercise. You just have to watch you calorie intake.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery in April, but had my injury since last October. I gained 20lbs because I had moved to a new home, started school (Freshman 15 DOES exist), etc etc and wasn't monitoring what I ate and was barely exercising. When I developed the injury, I wasn't able to exercise (hip), so I ate like crap.

After I had my surgery, I said "I'm not doing this anymore" and I started eating healthy and exercising. However, it wasn't until about a month ago that I really just couldn't deal with the weight anymore and I really cracked down on it.

Don't give up :) Heal fast!
  • stripeyrache
    stripeyrache Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I fractured my ankle last September which was about 4 months before my wedding, so just about the worst timing ever! I watched everything I ate, bulked out my main meals with vegetables and snacked on fruit.
    Can you swim? I was able to go swimming instead of my usual aerobics so managed to keep a little bit active.
    I'm not sure how much I lost over the time, but I definitely didn't gain any weight and my dress was still taken in considerably.
    Good luck!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Google paraplegic exercice. You can still work out without using your legs. Even air boxing can be a very good cardio exercice. That being said, you decided to jump off the wagon. Now you have to decide to jumb back on and stop using the surgery to justify your diet.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I broke my leg in Januray of this year and was in a cast for 12 weeks. I tore/rupture tendons and ligaments and it was really painful and swollen for months after the cast was removed. I found it difficult to trust my leg had the strength to do anything. But in July I started working out/paying attention to what I ate and gradually I noticed that my pain was less and less. It took me six months to feel confident enough to trust my leg but even then I was feeling pain. But I knew that my leg/ankle just needed to be worked...and now I would say I'm pain free, only feeling slight pain when doing static stretches after working out. Before breaking my leg I would have told you to wait until you're pain free, but now I'm realizing for me it was the exercise that helped speed up my healing process. Its awesome! Good luck!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Google paraplegic exercice. You can still work out without using your legs. Even air boxing can be a very good cardio exercice. That being said, you decided to jump off the wagon. Now you have to decide to jumb back on and stop using the surgery to justify your diet.

You hit the nail on the head!! Thank you for that :) I am climbing back on the wagon TODAY!!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

You hit the nail on the head!! Thank you for that :) I am climbing back on the wagon TODAY!!

Ahh good!!!! For a moment I almost deleted my answer since I am not that bit@hy usually LOL
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    After my daughter's extensive hip surgery 2 years ago, they had her doing water exercises with a life jacket on even though she is a good swimmer. It kept her buoyant. She walked, jogged and ran in the swim lanes of a pool for 10 minutes twice a week and did water aerobics. Since I had to drive her, I went with her and was amazed at what good exercise it is.

We still swim and we still do warm ups and stretches in the water.

Also look up chair exercises for the elderly. They have some good routines for seniors who can't do a lot to keep fit.

Hang in there.

Jeannie