Exercise Calories Question

Options
When I input my exercise the site adds calories to my daily target. Should I be eating those extra calories or keep some of them in my deficit to lose more weight?

I do not work out until the evening (5:30pm), so by the time I log my exercise, it's dinner time and I don't want to eat all my extra calories in the evening. I usually burn 400 calories per 30 min. workout.

Any thoughts / input?

Replies

• jbabchak
    Options
    When I input my exercise the site adds calories to my daily target. Should I be eating those extra calories or keep some of them in my deficit to lose more weight?

I do not work out until the evening (5:30pm), so by the time I log my exercise, it's dinner time and I don't want to eat all my extra calories in the evening. I usually burn 400 calories per 30 min. workout.

Any thoughts / input?
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Try checking out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

It'll help answer your questions. :flowerforyou:
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you to eat all your exercise calories because if not you will put your body into starvation mode and then actually not loose weight. There might be some truth to that, but my opinion is that is not completely true unless you are working out like 1,000 calories per day. Then you should probably eat at least half of those calories. But it will not throw your body into starvation mode if you don't eat your exercise calories on some days. Just don't make it a habit. It's a big topic here on MFP, and very controversial :laugh:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, you just need to figure out what works best for your body! :happy:
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree...
  • jbabchak
    Options
    Thank you this helps! I am used to Weight Watchers and how you earned bonus Points for working out, so I'll kind of relate it to that... use the extra calories to treat myself or eat a little extra, but not go overboard. Everything in moderation right?