My First pair of Running Shoes - advice required pleeeease

Options
Hey everyone!

I am going to start Couch to 5K along with kettlebell stuff but I have no idea what would be a good 'running' shoe. :huh:

I have Reebok trainers for normal workouts indoors and for the odd bit of mucking about in the local park with a rugby ball or tennis etc but I think I should invest in some good running shoes.

So, I would appreciate any opinions on a good shoe. I need to be able to purchase them in the UK though and would need to try them on rather than order online.

Cheers
:bigsmile:

Replies

• laz22girl
    Options
    Find a running store in your area, and get fitted!

It will be a bit more running, but you will be thankful.

We all have a different gait, foot strike, foot shape, etc. An experienced running person can help find the perfect shoe.

And I am not talking about going to ****'s, academy or similar.

I'm talking about a fleet feet, or an actual running store.

Good luck!!
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    I use Brooks- they are great running/exercise shoe.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    if possible go to a place that can fit you into the right shoe. I go to a running store so they can help me find the right fit. Don't buy according to looks buy what fits best for you. I wear brooks but I have used other brands.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love brooks ariels, But if you have a running store in the area, I totally agree that is the way to go. They should have you try on a few different pairs and some will even watch you run a bit to check your stride. Definitely get a good pair of dedicated running shoes. This will really help you prevent injury.

Good luck!!:drinker:
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    ASICS RULEEE
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Each foot type needs a different shoe. The height of your arches, how you pronate, where you strike will all affect which shoes provide the best support and comfort for you while running.
  • rob504
    Options
    I got New Balance running shoes from sports direct in their sale (which I believe is still on) I chose these over other brands as they tend to make them for the wider foot. They are incredibly comftable to the point where I wear them every chance I get.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would find a local running store and get fitted and evaluated. They'll watch you walk, evaluate whether you over- or under-pronate and suggest the proper shoe. If you know that kind of information (pronation? Heel or mid-foot striker?) You can start here: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor at least for recommendations on what to try.

Personally I've had Brooks, New Balance and Mizunos. So far I've liked my Mizunos the best (the Brooks were HEAVY and the New Balance wore out a lot quicker than I would have liked).
  • andtian
    Options
    I agree with Laz, a running store is the best. I went to Runner's world here in the Netherlands. I also started the C25k.. There they give you attention and try and find the shoe that is best for you. Since I badly sprained my ankle a few years back and still walk a bit funny because of it, they gave me a shoe that fits with my supination of my foot. Some places even takes a scan of your feet and sees where the pressure points and what shoe will support those etc. It might be expensive, but it is worth it. Believe me. I'm loving my shoes.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You MUST have your gait analysed - you don't want to buy a neutral shoe if you aren't a neutral runner (you can read up on shoe types online). There are plenty of running stores around even small cities. e.g. Up & Running, Runner's Need (though I'm not sure if that's a chain)... plenty of places to get fitted. Good luck! Remember for a healthy-weight individual, shoes typically last 500 miles, then you'll need to replace them. :)
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, definitely go to a running store where they can fit you in the right shoe. When I went in for the first time they put me on the treadmill and the shoes I was wearing were causing me pain. When I got new shoes they fit me in, it made my running very enjoyable. They really know what they are doing.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    The running store is a great piece of advice. Also make sure you try on and run a little bit in the shoes. The shoes are only going to last you 300-500 miles. Good luck with your training. This was how I got started running.
  • wedjul05
    Options
    Some running shops here (Ireland) do a proper gait analysis for free. ALot of people I know wear Asics. I need to get my gait analysis done, will prob need the Asics Gel Nimbus as I supinate.

I'd recommend getting it done properly, prevents shin splints, torn calf ligaments like me!!!!!!!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I had my gait analysed, and although the trainers weren't cheap, they take the price of the gait analysis off the price of the shoe.

I was getting knee trouble before I went, and the trainers I got solved it.

Having said that though, I'm debating getting some vibram five fingers instead and trying those and not using the trainers I go anymore.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I bought 3 pair of shoes this year before finding one that didn't hurt my legs and feet. I went with what I thought I knew about brands in the past, and the brands have not kept up the same trends for me. The difference is obvious looking backward. It wasn't me that couldn't run, it was the stupid shoe fit and all the pumping up they do to a lot of the shoes. I got a neutral shoe that fits like a well fitted sock, and I just can't stand to put on the other shoes for even walking around, now. I have a high arch and was happier running without shoes at all than using my cheapo running shoes. I still won't buy expensive, but next time i'm going for more advice. This is why you will save money going to a running shoe in the first place. Don't be like me buying them cheap. I still haven't been to a running shoe store, but next time I will.
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I looked online and voila!...............there is a local running shop in my town! Yay!

I popped in this afternoon and the man assessed how I walked etc - was very thorough. He brought out 3 pairs of running shoes that I had never heard of before and the winner for me was a pair of Brooks! They felt great. Bit more pricey than I'd hoped (being a single parent and on a tight budget is a pain in the butt! :angry: ). But after looking around online, the cost of £75 isn't that much in comparison.

So, now just need to save some pennies so I can kick start the running very soon.

Really appreciate the comments everyone - cheers! :bigsmile:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Glad you found a pair! Price is always the worst part but worth every penny in the long run! Good luck with your training!
  • LeslieAJ
    LeslieAJ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing my couch to 5K class and do my first 5K in 2 weeks so congrats on getting started.. There were so many people in my class who came with shoes they bought from discount or regular shoe stores, or from general sporting goods stores and they all had problems with their feet or knees. The coach for our class personally took some of them to a local running store to get the right shoes for their gait and feet. Glad you found a good running store and good shoes. Happy running!