Weights?

I just can't get off my last 5 kg / 12 lbs..I've been trying for months, no cheats on the food, cardio almost every day, but the weight is stuck. Is it impossible to reach your goals without paying for a gym membership? Most of my friends tells me that I cannot reach my goal without the dreaded weight lifting. :angry:

Is this true? :sad:

Replies

• Weight lifting is a must... it is true. Sorry. Even us women need that to build muscle b/c muscle burns fat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I just can't get off my last 5 kg / 12 lbs..I've been trying for months, no cheats on the food, cardio almost every day, but the weight is stuck. Is it impossible to reach your goals without paying for a gym membership? Most of my friends tells me that I cannot reach my goal without the dreaded weight lifting. :angry:

You don't have to go to a gym to lift weigths - unless maybe you are looking for a bodybuilders body. You can even make your own weights if you want - water, sand, concrete, gallon jugs can make you a wide variety of weights for next to nothing. You can buy some pretty cheaply too.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    agree with comment above, you dont have to go to gym for weight lifting. Invest in hand weights and any jillian micheals dvd, they are not expensive at walmart. Do it consistant and you will get results!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

You don't have to go to a gym to lift weigths - unless maybe you are looking for a bodybuilders body. Yo

Ugh, lifting weights doesn't turn you into a bodybuilder. There's so much more that goes into it to achieve that type of build.

Yes, if you really want to get your body into shape and control your weight then you SHOULD do some strength training. Cardio, videos like Insanity and P90 are all great but it's not the same as pumping a little iron.
  • vim_n_vigor

You don't have to go to a gym to lift weigths - unless maybe you are looking for a bodybuilders body. Yo

Ugh, lifting weights doesn't turn you into a bodybuilder. There's so much more that goes into it to achieve that type of build.

Yes, if you really want to get your body into shape and control your weight then you SHOULD do some strength training. Cardio, videos like Insanity and P90 are all great but it's not the same as pumping a little iron.

If you read the rest of my post,I wasn't against weights - I am quite in favor actually. I do think that someone looking for the bodybuilder physique would need a gym membership, but the average person can cheaply and easily create their own weightlifting routine at home.
  • I'm not against weights or fear that I will turn into a body builder, I just think it's boring :blushing:

Thanks! Guess I have to change my focus a bit.
  • vim_n_vigor
    I'm not against weights or fear that I will turn into a body builder, I just think it's boring :blushing:

There are some weight routines that use an exercise ball and bands.You may enjoy that too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member

Tru dat. Do you know why you have to strength train?
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    I'm not against weights or fear that I will turn into a body builder, I just think it's boring :blushing:

I used to feel that way too. I recently bought the Chalean Extreme videos and she really kind of makes weight lifting fun.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I used to feel that way too. I recently bought the Chalean Extreme videos and she really kind of makes weight lifting fun.

I was reading this thread thinking "OMG not another you "must" lift weights" thread and waiting for the "you must lift heavy" crap to start, when I saw this. Weight lifting fun?? Really? I am intrigued, but skeptical. Very, very skeptical.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Re: weights being boring - I just started Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones. It's all about firming/toning with weights, and no cardio. She goes in 6 minute circuits, so it really doesn't get boring. (Ask me how I feel about this in 30 days, but for now it's a lot of variety.)

My DVD player also lets me program the DVD to play chapters in a particular order, or in random order, a lot like a CD player. That changes it up, too.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    If you lift weight with a plan on a proper progressive loading program it will not be boring because each day/week you will be setting a new personal record. How is improving your abilities boring?
  • ninerbuff
    I was reading this thread thinking "OMG not another you "must" lift weights" thread and waiting for the "you must lift heavy" crap to start, when I saw this. Weight lifting fun?? Really? I am intrigued, but skeptical. Very, very skeptical.
    Lifting heavy isn't crap, it's actually proven. But if you're skeptical, then it's already going to be boring if that's the mind set. I don't believe in "Chi" or any "body energy", so trying to convince me of it would be in vain.
  • ninerbuff
    If you lift weight with a plan on a proper progressive loading program it will not be boring because each day/week you will be setting a new personal record. How is improving your abilities boring?
    It's the mindset. I improved at counting money faster when I used to close up a store that I managed at. But can't say that that improvement made it more exciting or bearable. For some it's just how they feel.
  • bcattoes
    Lifting heavy isn't crap, it's actually proven. But if you're skeptical, then it's already going to be boring if that's the mind set. I don't believe in "Chi" or any "body energy", so trying to convince me of it would be in vain.

I believe in lifting heavy. I mean, I know it exists, and it will increase muscle mass. What I don't believe is that it's necessary for good health. It seems more about vanity than fitness. But I do believe some strength training is needed for optimal health. And health is my goal. But that doesn't make any less boring.
  • JNick77

I believe in lifting heavy. I mean, I know it exists, and it will increase muscle mass. What I don't believe is that it's necessary for good health. It seems more about vanity than fitness. But I do believe some strength training is needed for optimal health. And health is my goal. But that doesn't make any less boring.

Just need to find something that makes it enjoyable. I hate cardio with a passion. But lifting in conjunction with my diet and cardio as a trio become very worthwhile everyday as I see more and more definition and fat loss. I guess that's what motivates me with the cardio.
  • bcattoes

Just need to find something that makes it enjoyable. I hate cardio with a passion. But lifting in conjunction with my diet and cardio as a trio become very worthwhile everyday as I see more and more definition and fat loss. I guess that's what motivates me with the cardio.

If it were possible I'd gladly do your cardio for you and you could do my weights. I love my Zumba.
  • JNick77

If it were possible I'd gladly do your cardio for you and you could do my weights. I love my Zumba.

Thanks, that is a very gracious offer. :) Would you run my weekly 5K for me too and just make sure I get the benefit. That would really rock and free up 35 minutes from my day for more ESPN or sleep on Sun mornings. :)
  • bcattoes

Thanks, that is a very gracious offer. :) Would you run my weekly 5K for me too and just make sure I get the benefit. That would really rock and free up 35 minutes from my day for more ESPN or sleep on Sun mornings. :)

LOL I most certainly would if only it would work!!
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    It's true, lifting weights can be FUN!!! Cathe Friedrich has some awesome weight-lifting DVDs that are choreographed to keep things exciting while feeling the burn!!

The burn from lifting weights is seriously a high!! So many benefits!

You don't have to use every machine at the gym or have tons of weights. I have a barbell, usually never heavier than 35lbs, and hand weights from 5-25 lbs and that's it.

But it's enough!!