12 years old and 272 pounds!!!

Options

Replies

• AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My one niece is only 10 and weighs 150lbs! My little sister(who is extremely fit) gets really angry when we talk about it.

Growing up a "fat kid" myself, it really isn't fair to the children. The parents for the most part have full control over what their children eat. Kids really look up to their parents example too. My parents weren't very physically active with me, and didn't push me into sports either.

Sometimes when the parents realize the weight is unhealthy, it's too late and the child already has those bad habits.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    That's sad but there might be much more as to why this child got that way. Can't blame anyone until you have all the information.
    Totally agree facts first and who are we to judge others
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i wonder what the parents weigh!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The parents. That started in infancy. When parents introduce food, babies don't have a choice...they aren't turning down broccoli because they prefer pizza, they're just being babies. It's a parent's responsibility to educate a child on healthy food choices. How sad for that child. She'll be diabetic soon, if not now.
  • cazjosjac
    Options
    WOW, I say the mom is to blame, but there has to be a reason why the child is so overweight, the kid is maybe using the food as a comfort for some reason. The mother needs to look into why.
  • tatummcbaters
    tatummcbaters Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's all to do with the mother, and it's sad really.
    Obviously the mother needs some sort of education on which foods are best for her family, as well as possibly some parenting education as well.
    I'm sure at this stage, it's likely the child will be throwing fits to get what he/she wants, so the mother is going to have to learn how to deal with that in order to get her child to eat healthier.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Of course it's the mom's fault! She didn't wake up at 12 being that weight, she's probably been overweight for years. Parents control what their kids eat, how much they sit around, etc.

I used to work with an obese woman who had a 1.5 year old daughter at the time we met. This toddler would walk around snacking on sausages, was given fast food 3-4 times per week, on and on. She's always been fat and now at age 9 she is obese. It's really sad to see the way her parents set her up for a lifetime of weight problems.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    how awful :(
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should judge until you know the facts . It is wrong to judge with knowledge

This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That's sad but there might be much more as to why this child got that way. Can't blame anyone until you have all the information.
    Exactly. My niece was 190 at about the same age (she's in her late 20's now) because of a thyroid condition. She ballooned up to 300lbs because of hormonal issues. Finally got bariatric surgery and is now down to 180, but still working on it.
  • Esquie
    Options
    I look at it this way, if it were the opposite and the child was emaciated, CPS would be at the front door. At 12 years old, a parent may not be able to control what is eaten outside of the house, but a parent can certainly control what is eaten in the house and how much is eaten.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    She is 12.....its the mom. She sure doesn't buy her own groceries or McDonalds!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Wow...its the parents fault for shoving food in her face. I hope someone helps this child!!!
  • darsh11
    Options
    I wish this was a unique case, but I am seeing more and more kids that are obese. It is scary to think where many of the kids I see will be in 10 years time. I do think the parents have to take responsibility for their kids health. but I also think the schools really need to step up and teach healthy habits as well. I hope this family will find the solution to the problem instead of letting this poor girl suffer any longer. I once weighed 269 lbs and everyday life was so hard. I can only imagine what her little body is going through.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Poor kid.
    Im sure the great medical debate will be here soon, I put the blame on the parents. Im struggling with un-doing 11 years of bad eating habits with my daughter but if i dont buy junk she doesnt have it to eat. I take full responsibility for her health and fitness. We are both on the road to a better way of living.

This really makes me sad and its EVERYWHERE! My cousins son is 7 and he is about 110 lbs and mom and dad are fat too. I read her posts about what she has cooked for dinner and not once has she ever cooked a grilled anything. Fried everything covered in cream cravy dipped in bread. Dont get me wrong I wish i could eat that everyday but we have to set examples for our kids.

Are the parents out of control too? Im curious to know that one.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would say that #1- its the parents fault. This is child abuse. #2 - It's societies fault for being so P.C.. The parents should feel the critisism from the public at large. It's just not PC to tell someone that their kid is simply a huge fatty. On the contrary, fattness has become acceptable in our society. They are predicting that by 2030, 50% of Americans will be obese; not over weight, but OBESE. What we need is a little more shame, and personal responsibility. Today the fittest state (Colorado), would have been the fattest state 11 years ago. Think about that.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Both.... the Mom and the child. At 12 you can't watch what they eat every minute of every day, but it is the habits that are passed down and taught....then again, the child may be depressed and is self-medicating with food. This little person needs help!
  • nccolli9
    Options
    Its def the parents fault. Its not like the child just gained all that weight by themselves. They have to eat the food the parents are buying for them and allowing them to eat. My neice is 10 years old and weighs 160 pounds. She has horrible eating habits but it is because my sister hasn't taught her good habits. She lets her eat whatever she wants whenever she wants. If there were fruits and vegetables in the house rather than chips, crackers and cookies she wouldn't have a choice. It's totally unacceptable. I took her school clothes shopping and had to buy her a 12 in womens. Pretty sad when shes shorter and heavier than I am and I got the same pants in a size 8 and I am dieting.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should judge until you know the facts . It is wrong to judge with knowledge

You're right. I take back what I said. Good call.