Cream and Sugar with a little Coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• Quiltmania
    Options
    I love, love, love my coffee. I usually drink about 5 cups a day. I used to drink it with cream (whipping cream if I could get it (gasp!)) and about 3 tsp of sugar in each cup. I don't even want to think about how many calories that was. I started by putting in 2 tsp of sugar. Then when I got used to that, 1 tsp, then 1/2 tsp and so on until there was no sugar in my coffee at all. Then I started replacing some of the cream with non-dairy creamer. Eventually, I got to complete non-dairy creamer. Then I went to fat free non-dairy creamer. I hate black coffee so I'll be stopping here. It took about 6 months or so but it wasn't hard and now I love my coffee the way it is. In fact, someone accidentally served me coffee with sugar in it the other day and I couldn't drink it.
  • cchristman12
    cchristman12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I won't give my coffee up either. I have one cup with my breakfast every morning and I have to put some sweetener in it. I use sweet n' low in mine. I drink water the rest of the day as well. I normally take a couple of cups of coffee with me to work and I have sweet n' low in that too. All together it iw probably about 120 calories.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Fresh ground coffee and a splash of 2% milk makes my day. I often drink half and half in my coffee, but just a splash too. (that's what we keep at the office).
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Americanos taste better than black coffee, I think. It's espresso with water as opposed to drip...far less bitter, more of a smokey rich taste.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I usually use a vanilla or plain soy creamer (Organic Valley brand - the vanilla is amazing). If I'm out of those, I use vanilla coconut milk (So Delicious brand), or vanilla almond milk (Silk brand). All of these are most delicious. :drinker:
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    About 1/4 of a cup of 2% milk, and 2 teaspoons of sugar, or 2 teaspoons of honey - it's really nice if you have fancy pants honey.

and very yes on the kind of coffee being very important! (ignore the lack of grammar respect)

If coffee is important to you MAKE it important! Use a good coffee machine, clean your grinder, buy your favorite beans, and by all means: use the silliest cup available.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    after doing this for over 7 months, and trying just about everything to lower the calories and sugar in my coffee, i've decided to just SCREW IT! i'm gonna drink my 16oz. coffee with my 100 calories worth of fat free hazelnut coffee-mate, and i'm gonna enjoy it, gosh darn it!

i quit smoking 4 months ago and, no joke, that was easier than trying to stop using cream in my coffee.

i HAVE gone from drinking coffee about 5 times a day to twice a day, so that's a huge accomplishment for me.

sorry i couldn't be more help, but that's the one thing i can't give up.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • fas815
    Options
    I can't give up my coffee either. I use flavored creamers which also add calories but i'm with you coffee, coffee, coffee!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think you need to slowly decrease the amount of cream and sugar you use instead of going cold turkey.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually use a vanilla or plain soy creamer (Organic Valley brand - the vanilla is amazing). If I'm out of those, I use vanilla coconut milk (So Delicious brand), or vanilla almond milk (Silk brand). All of these are most delicious. :drinker:

Agree!

Pre-MFP I used to used a ton of milk/half&half and like four sugars, and have about 2-5 a day. :noway: Since MFP, I've cut out all white sugars, cold turkey, it is terrible the first couple of days but it's totally worth it after. I feel like when you're taking in a ton of sugar, you're way less sensitive to it. Now things are so much sweeter!

I still use some kind of "creamer", Soy when I order out and Soy Vanilla Creamer (silk) at home or International/Coffee Mate make sugar-free/fat-free flavored creamers. It's low-cal, sweet enough, & creamy!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I drink mine exactly like that; gotta be sweet and white. I just fit in to my day and don't worry about it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I rarely drink more than one cup and normally do not drink the entire cup.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Almond milk tasty! I drink (embarrassing to even say) almost 2 pots of coffee on days that I am home, and at least one pot when I am not. I don't use sugar, but I hate black coffee, so I had to figure something out. Almond milk has 40 calories per cup instead of 120 for milk so I feel like I have done all the changing that can be demanded of me :) I will skip a snack any day to get my coffee.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I switched to unsweetened vanilla almond milk in Coffee Beanery flavored coffee with Ideal sweetener. The quality of the coffee makes a huge difference! Now, I don't even need the Almond Milk....just the sweetener and I use less of it! The QUALITY IS THE KEY!