What breaks you out of "stinkin' thinkin'"...

Options
Usually I'm a pretty positive person, but yesterday was an attitude disaster...big work drama/ stress...anyway...
I brought the stress home with me and everywhere else I went yesterday after work. Also I could feel those ol' stress eating triggers clicking away...I stayed pretty much in control for dinner but wine and french bread were included... :/
Last night my husband and I had a good heart to heart and this morning I did some praying and found encouragement in some good reading and music. I feel much better and am ready to face the day!
I was just wondering what helps you all when the bad 'tude strikes you??

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm a pretty positive person, but yesterday was an attitude disaster...big work drama/ stress...anyway...
    I brought the stress home with me and everywhere else I went yesterday after work. Also I could feel those ol' stress eating triggers clicking away...I stayed pretty much in control for dinner but wine and french bread were included... :/
    Last night my husband and I had a good heart to heart and this morning I did some praying and found encouragement in some good reading and music. I feel much better and am ready to face the day!
    I was just wondering what helps you all when the bad 'tude strikes you??
    I take it out at the gym. Studies show that people that exercise intensely a few times a week have greatly reduced stress levels.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    A nap. Or a glass of wine. Or a good cry. Or all three.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Music! I liked that you said about praying! Walking and listening to music helps me. I have Christian and secular.
    Good luck!
  • shonasteele
    Options
    A nap. Or a glass of wine. Or a good cry. Or all three.

Yup, without chocolate and cigarettes, that's pretty much what's left...
    Or a good talk with hubby or bff.
    Oh, and bubble bath goes without saying, right?
    And sometimes, wanting to be a better example for my daughter helps shake it off, as does a good cuddle with her!
  • satine20021
    Options
    Currently I am feeling that way... Stressed and in a bad mood. Just life and bills and this whole weight loss thing going at a snails pace... I am just trying to keep the big picture in mind. That hard times don't last forever, and the weight loss... Well it will work if I continue to work it.

And it helps being on here... knowing that there are other people with the same issues. Sometimes it just takes venting a little in a blog or to your husband to get the "tude" outside of yourself and just start moving on.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Depends on if it's just a bad 'trude or pms.

For a bad 'tude I simply remind myself I am the one who controls how I am going to feel and this 'tude isn't effecting anyone but me. I just refuse to allow myself have any bad feelings longer than an hour or two, I remember that what I am upset or pissy about is probably something so tiny in the bigger scheme of things.

PMS - I have to have a good cry. So I get some good crying tv show or movie and I drinks some wine and let it out. The next day I am happy as a clam!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sweat ... as in a hard walk up stairs or a good hill. Takes my mind off whatever's annoying me pretty quickly. :)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I read a really good book, or hang out with my dog - it's hard to be in a crabby mood when he heaves a big sigh and his lips flap together!
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    I read a really good book, or hang out with my dog - it's hard to be in a crabby mood when he heaves a big sigh and his lips flap together!
    I have to agree that its hard to stay in a bad mood when there's a dog around...our little daschund is such a character! They are ALWAYS happy to see you! :)
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing...hope we all have attitudes worth catching today! :)
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I take a deep breath and look out a window for a few minutes. I start to control my thoughts and take a step back. I ask myself:

1) Is getting worked up going to help me solve the problem?
    2) Is there a way I can solve this stress, or is it something I'm going to have to let go of? (Good ole' control what you can and let go of what you can't)
    3) What am I grateful for today?

By the time I get to #3 and start to list what I'm grateful for, my frustration is under control. May not be completely gone, but it kicks it out most of the time. The rule with #3 is that you're not allowed to follow up the gratitude with a negative. Example: "It's a beautiful day outside." is okay. "It's a beautiful day outside but I'm stuck here in this crappy job." Not okay. :)

If that doesn't work, I call a good friend I can talk to and vent it all out or brainstorm solutions. Just feeling understood and validated holds a great power!

Oh yeah! And honestly, if you bring the stress home, sex is a GREAT stress reliever, and it may help you bond w/ your partner. :) Even when you're not feeling it, eventually it becomes a mood changer!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Brain deodorant. I recommend roll-on.

STAR. It's what my kids taught me. Stop, Take A breath and Relax. After I grounded them for not understanding how to make an acronym correctly, I started incorporating it into my life. Exercise/sweating is always good, but for me, I need something the INSTANT I realize I'm being negative/pissy/over-critical/etc. As soon as I'm aware, I try to break out of the thinking pattern.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    ...a good workout, yoga,Breathing, yelling and screaming (although not productive and hopefully not at my poor husband), crying, getting outside, organizing whatever (a little odd i know), and a NAP.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    After I grounded them for not understanding how to make an acronym correctly, I started incorporating it into my life.
    You're evil. I appreciate that in my friends! :bigsmile:

Seriously though, what I'd like to say is that I do a good workout and get into a positive mindset that way, but unless I have a class booked or it's a gym night, that tends not to happen. My partner's currently in a different time zone, if he's awake / available we'll chat and that helps put things into perspective, otherwise I eat too much or drink too much or both.

I'm not proud of it, but it happens infrequently enough that it's not wrecking my healthier lifestyle. And while I'm sure that going for a run would be better for me, sometimes opening a bottle of wine and curling up with a good book really is the answer.