Is it ok to eat PAM, The buttered flavor??

Options
Ok so this might be a very strange question but tonight I want to have some brown rice with some crab meat mixed in with it.. I wanted to spray it with the buttered flavor PAm and alittle bit of seasoning because the spray has 0 calories with the buttery taste..I was just curious about the cons of this spray if there are any?? Thanks!

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like spray it on top of your food as a flavoring or in the pan while you are cooking???
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    hungry girl uses that a lot in cooking. IDK if its the butter flavor.. but I dont think that makes a difference. I use it to spray on my chicken strips when I bake them to get them crispy.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I use it (the olive oil kind)

I find no 'issues' with using it at all.

Check the label I think more than a short spray may add up to 'some' calories.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just use a bit of olive oil spray - it's only 0 calories if you use a tiny bit, but if you are covering your food, it's not as good and it's completely fake.

Or just suck it up and use a tiny bit of real butter, heat the rice in a pan with the butter and toss to coat - it's only 25-50 calories and you will be more satisfied.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to top already cooked food.. I would get the I cant believe its not butter spray.. I think its minimal calories per spray.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like spray it on top of your food as a flavoring or in the pan while you are cooking???

After the food was hot in the bowl and cooked I was just going to spray alittle on it and mix it up.
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    This is my go to when I make scrambled eggs or chicken. Just watch how much you use because the calories quickly adds up!
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    If you are looking to top already cooked food.. I would get the I cant believe its not butter spray.. I think its minimal calories per spray.
    Thanks!
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    This is my go to when I make scrambled eggs or chicken. Just watch how much you use because the calories quickly adds up!
    It says 0 calories on the one I have though?!
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that PAM is made to be used as a pan spray - not a food flavoring agent. You might try the olive oil pan spray (it is in most cases just olive oil and propellant without unnatural flavorings) or the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray (carried near butter/margerine in the grocery store) - it's low in calories too, and won't have the chemical taste. I
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    I use it (the olive oil kind)

I find no 'issues' with using it at all.

Check the label I think more than a short spray may add up to 'some' calories.
    Thanks!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Cooking spray i think you should only use to cook with. But you can buy parkay spray butter, or i cant believe its not butter spray to eat witth and they r 0 cals also!!!
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    Just use a bit of olive oil spray - it's only 0 calories if you use a tiny bit, but if you are covering your food, it's not as good and it's completely fake.

Or just suck it up and use a tiny bit of real butter, heat the rice in a pan with the butter and toss to coat - it's only 25-50 calories and you will be more satisfied.
    I really don't want to use real butter, but thank you very much for the info!! :)
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    I am pretty sure that PAM is made to be used as a pan spray - not a food flavoring agent. You might try the olive oil pan spray (it is in most cases just olive oil and propellant without unnatural flavorings) or the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray (carried near butter/margerine in the grocery store) - it's low in calories too, and won't have the chemical taste. I
    Thank you!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    yeah, I wouldn't spray it on top. It doesn't ACTUALLY have that buttery of a taste. You'd be better off with something else, personally I'd use real butter. You'd only need a TINY bit and it it's really so much better for you. No chemicals or anything.
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options

It is 0 calories if you do a 1/4 second spray which isn't very much at all. A 1 second spray is like 7 calories. I use the original canola oil one tho so the calorie count on yours might be a different, but it definitely does have calories.
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    Cooking spray i think you should only use to cook with. But you can buy parkay spray butter, or i cant believe its not butter spray to eat witth and they r 0 cals also!!!
    Thats what everyone is say. I think I will try the I can't believe its not butter! Thanks so much :)
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    yeah, I wouldn't spray it on top. It doesn't ACTUALLY have that buttery of a taste. You'd be better off with something else, personally I'd use real butter. You'd only need a TINY bit and it it's really so much better for you. No chemicals or anything.
    Well I definetly don't want to use it if it doesn't tast like butter then lol..I will probably pick up some I cant beleive its not butter and try that out...Thanks for the info!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, the 0 calories sprays actually have calories, but they are rounded down to 0. I think the law says that if it's less than 5 cals per serving they may write "0". So each spray is probably about 4 calories. If you spray a whole bunch, make no mistake - you are adding calories.
  • msblueyes5
    Options

It is 0 calories if you do a 1/4 second spray which isn't very much at all. A 1 second spray is like 7 calories. I use the original canola oil one tho so the calorie count on yours might be a different, but it definitely does have calories.

Wowo that should really be in the nutritional info on the back of the can if its not..thanks for the heads up!