Hidden Sugars in Skim Milk

Options
I have definitely balanced out my diet and am training hard but I'm finding that sugars are still the biggest inhibitor for me. Now I drink a lot of skim milk, so with the lactose in it that can add up to about 13 or so sugars a cup!

My query, has anyone tried switching to lactose-free milk, simply to avoid the sugar but aren't lactose intolerant? I'm shooting blind because I've never actually tried it and have zero idea if there is a taste difference. And if anyone has, what have you observed?

Replies

• bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm not intolerant but have started replacing about half of my milk intake with soya milk (unsweetened). For about the same amount of calories you get fewer carbs, more protein, and it's usually cheaper too.
  • TheNewLeah
    Options
    I started checking out other lactose free brands and they are showing about the same amount of sugar as well, so maybe unsweetened soy is other route to try? Thanks!
  • kslindner
    Options
    Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk! No sugar AT ALL!! I swear by this stuff!!! Lower calories than soy milk and regular milk, too!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    allergic to soy and nuts, so sticking to regular milk for me. rice milk is nasty too. yuk!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    hits imaginary "like" button.
  • Bmoviemama
    Options
    Wow! really??? and here I thought skim milk was like water!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars in milk and fruits aren't bad for you. In their natural form they take longer for the body to fully break down and they give you a more time released energy. They are not at all the same as refined white sugar.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've tried unsweetened almond milk but it's a very different taste and I just don't like it as much....

But it's worth a shot for you!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check out almond and hemp milk also, I enjoy those when I'm bored with my whole milk.
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    I also swear by Silk's unsweetened almond milk. In the half a cup I use with my cereal, it gives me only 18 calories, tons of calcium, some protein, and no sugar. It definitely tastes different, but I got used to it really quick. I don't drink it by itself very often, but it's great with cereal and cooking. (But don't use it for mac and cheese....not good at all, haha!) :)
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i've been recommended to drink 2% because that small amount of fat keeps you fuller and it has less sugar than skim.
    it was true for the brands i was buying when i read the jugs.
    so check out that option.

otherwise go or almond and soy milk, i just hate the unsweetened varieties since i hate almond flavor and soy flavor lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Hidden sugars? They're right there on the label. Lactose has a low glycemic load. It's fine (unless you're lactose intolerant).
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Soy had a plant-based estrogen in it. If you start getting headaches, it is because of this. Some people have problems with soy as a substitute.
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk! No sugar AT ALL!! I swear by this stuff!!! Lower calories than soy milk and regular milk, too!

YES! love it - I'm lactose intolerant so since I was young I used to eat my cereal with Dole juices since all those lactose free milks were nasty to me but I finally tried Almond Milk and the Unsweetended Almond Milk and they are amazing!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about Lactaid brand products, they don't take the lactose out. They just treat it with the enzyme (the one lactose-intolerant people are missing) to break down the lactose sugar. It's still the same amount of sugar.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm not intolerant but have started replacing about half of my milk intake with soya milk (unsweetened). For about the same amount of calories you get fewer carbs, more protein, and it's usually cheaper too.

Not sure where you live but soy milk here is almost double regular milk. A gallon of skim milk here $2.98. A gallon of soy milk is over $6 (each half gallon is $3.19 each) I have 2 in my family that can't have cows milk and we spend a fortune on soy milk for them.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Lactaid has 12 grams of sugar per serving. Not a big difference.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Not sure where you live but soy milk here is almost double regular milk. A gallon of skim milk here $2.98. A gallon of soy milk is over $6 (each half gallon is $3.19 each) I have 2 in my family that can't have cows milk and we spend a fortune on soy milk for them.

I'm in the UK, and some brands of soy milk definitely are cheaper here. Almond milk on the other hand.......would love to try it and would probably incorporate it into my diet but it's about 3 times the cost of dairy milk!
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try Almond Milk :)
  • Caperfae
    Options
    I had to argue with my husband about sugar in milk. He doesn't read nutrition labels at all and didn't believe me.
    I have gestational diabetes and can't drink much milk because of all the sugar in it.