I Love Salt!

Options
I am trying really, really hard to cut back on my salt intake. I know all the rules - it causes weight gain and all that jazz. But I just love it SO much!

I have tried the alternatives - use a bunch of seasonings - make them your best friend - use Mrs. Dash. But none of them taste as good!! Does anyone have any suggestions? MY alternative to salt is jarred chicken bouillion! HA! It has about as much sodium as salt does! I use soy sauce, too, but again, it has a ton of sodium.

In fact, tonight I made baked chicken breasts with a ton of Mrs. Dash, steamed brocolli, and brown rice. I did use some chicken bouillion, but tried to stay away from the salt. I seasoned everything well - onion powder, garlic, Mrs. Dash - EVERYTHING. And then everything tasted so bland and boring!

I keep telling myself "Oh, you're doing good at cutting back on calories and fat and you are drinking tons of water. Don't deprive yourself of everything!" So then I convince myself that my high sodium intake is okay since I'm doing other things right!

Help!!

Replies

• kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    I am trying really, really hard to cut back on my salt intake. I know all the rules - it causes weight gain and all that jazz. But I just love it SO much!

I have tried the alternatives - use a bunch of seasonings - make them your best friend - use Mrs. Dash. But none of them taste as good!! Does anyone have any suggestions? MY alternative to salt is jarred chicken bouillion! HA! It has about as much sodium as salt does! I use soy sauce, too, but again, it has a ton of sodium.

In fact, tonight I made baked chicken breasts with a ton of Mrs. Dash, steamed brocolli, and brown rice. I did use some chicken bouillion, but tried to stay away from the salt. I seasoned everything well - onion powder, garlic, Mrs. Dash - EVERYTHING. And then everything tasted so bland and boring!

I keep telling myself "Oh, you're doing good at cutting back on calories and fat and you are drinking tons of water. Don't deprive yourself of everything!" So then I convince myself that my high sodium intake is okay since I'm doing other things right!

Help!!
  • nicolet04
    Options
    i use nosalt salt!! it tastes exactly the same...except on eggs for some reason??:huh: theres no sodium, just potassium!!! i get it at walmart!!
  • MadTurtle
    Options
    You maybe drinking to much water! Your body needs a certain amount of essential nutrients and to much water washes these away leaving your body craving them. Do you get sometimes where you drink and drink and are still thirsty. This may even be accompanied by a small headache. It means you are drinking far to much water. The cure is to take a small amount of kosher salt in your palm maybe about the size of a dime and let it melt on the back of your tongue and this will cure the head ache.
    You need to find the balance in your water intake. My self personally it is 5 glasses a day right now with my exercise levels and so on. To much water will dehydrate you and leave with abnormal craving for salt, I know it sounds crazy but it is the way it works.
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    if you're using regular table salt try switching to sea salt. I think it tastes better and has more flavor so you don't have to use as much.

just a thought...though I've never actually looked in to it as far as the sodium is concerned.
  • neabgood
    Options
    Are you an O blood type by chance? if so O's do okay on a high sodium intake, but yes... sometimes it can be too much. I LOVE salt too but have cut back by monitoring my sodium intake in foods. know your limit and just like everything else its a habit.
  • sarah21
    sarah21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh i know! i love salt too! & i feel so bad because I'll have a bowl of mixed vegies and then put a bunch of salt on it to add more flavor, so i dont even want to count it as ahealthy meal then. :cry:
    so im going to walmart and looking up this NoSalt salt, THANK YOU! you may have just saved my life :flowerforyou:

sgw

116647.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Are you an O blood type by chance? if so O's do okay on a high sodium intake, but yes... sometimes it can be too much. I LOVE salt too but have cut back by monitoring my sodium intake in foods. know your limit and just like everything else its a habit.

interesting why is that?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    If your going try to leave salt and use other seasonings I would get some herbs and experiment. Mrs dash is not that tasty. Plus if you use it on everything then everything tastes the same.
    A few I like are rosemary, thyme, sage, those together or alone are good on chicken.
    Thyme or chives on my eggs.
    Basil, oregano together or alone on chicken.
    Basil is really good on carrots.
    Experiment and find ones and combinations that you like.

Do a recipe search for Herbs de Provence. There are different ones for it but you can use it on beef, pork, chicken, pasta. Almost anything.
    Another good blend is Essences of Emeril, it has a little spiceyness to it. You can buy it or make your own.
    Ingredients
    2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    Directions
    Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

I think if you experiment with herbs you will find out how good food tastes without alot of salt. Alittle is good for seasoning. Using lots you aren't getting the full flavor of your foods.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't salt anything. In fact, my pepper needs to be replaced before the salt shaker. :laugh:

If I get a craving, I just eat potato chips. :blushing:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I love salt too!!!

Is your blood pressure high? Maybe your body naturally needs the higher levels of sodium. I'd check with your doctor about it, and see if they think it's an issue. Of course, if you are cooking for a hubby or kids, you need to be cautious about their salt intake too...
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i use nosalt salt!! it tastes exactly the same...except on eggs for some reason??:huh: theres no sodium, just potassium!!! i get it at walmart!!

I use that too and I LOVE it...
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    I am a type O+ (if that matters) but I don't really crave or even like salt. The only thing I salt is boiling water for pasta! Not to say I don't like salty things occasionally (TOM) but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me very much! Now sweets and chocolate, entirely different story!:love:

I have a friend who loads, and I mean loads salt on anything...including chinese food!!! And that is sooo salty as it is especially if it's got MSG. MSG is also in the bouillion which is not really good for you.

I would say if you really need excess salt try the no-salt salt and in moderation use sea salt as a "supplement".