Got a question about logging exercise

spade74
spade74 Posts: 42
So our home is heated by wood heat, and I’ve been doing the firewood work with my husband for the past couple of days. I'm not sure how I should be logging it in the exercise activity, can anyone help?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Do you have an HRM? If so use those numbers and "add exercise" You can call it Wood Chopping or something like that.
  • Sadly I dont have one :(
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    I would log that maybe as housework? That or check out the below link, which has a calorie calculator and 'Chop Wood' activity. Put in your weight and the time you did that and it will give you the calories:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Hope you find it helpful

9334018.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Griffonics
    Griffonics Posts: 6 Member
    Maybe log it as carpentry?

Even for a general HR reading try counting it like a nurse/doctor would. 30 seconds count x2.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Ooh! I can answer this one! When I spent half the day helping my hubby by throwing/carrying and stacking (3 cord) wood, I wore my Polar FT4 HRM and it said I burned about 300 calories per hour. That was for pretty much non-stop movement on a hot day for a 37 year old, semi fit, 190 pound chick.

Took a cue from KA29 and checked out what MFP would give me for vigorous cleaning and it gave me about the same calorie numbers so I think you could use that. And maybe if you're not feeling like it's "vigorous", use the moderate instead. FYI, that gave me just over 200 calories per hour.
  • moffee01
    moffee01 Posts: 67 Member
    Its in the data base under chopping wood. I know for sure because thats what we use and Ive been chopping alot lately :-)
  • cool thanks
This discussion has been closed.