Paleo Diet

Options
I hear stuff here and there about this but I am unsure what it is. Can someone, who has been on it or knows about it, explain the diet and what type of results you get from it? I read the post about the caveman diet. Is that what this is? Is it healthy?
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Noname225555
    Noname225555 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same thing as the caveman diet -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    :explode: where is my popcorn??
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Use the Search button above. There are TONS of threads on this topic (it's popular). :happy:
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    It's healthy, you pretty much eat organic meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts. Pretty much everything natural
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    First it is very healthy, though the uninformed will disagree.

The diet referred to as paleo, primal, or caveman is not intended to be a short term solution, think of it as a lifestyle change like being vegan; just the opposite direction. The diet is simple; no grains, legumes or dairy and little sugar and starches. You get your calories from mostly meat and vegetables and some fruit, nuts, seeds, and oils.

A good reference is here: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I think it may be the blood type diet. Each blood type burns certain food differently. Some are bad for certain types and some are good. Dr. oz recomended. But, who can trust him anymore. Dr. Oz has turned commercial.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's healthy, you pretty much eat organic meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts. Pretty much everything natural

On another thread re: paleo someone on following it said beans (legumes) were a big no-no because they are poisonous. Also, grains (which are natural) are not part of the diet.
  • roboto789
    Options
    My mom followed this diet a few years ago and saw results. What I understood it to be was eliminating everything "processed" in your diet and this includes breads, cheese, most or all dairy (I think) etc. She called it the "caveman" diet because it was supposed to be things that our ~ancestors~ as cavepeople ate. I think there's some validity in it (people being lactose-intolerant due to where cow domestication was located centuries ago) but I'm not sure how "healthy" it is.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It depends on your preference and how you interpret your own research. Proteins, good medium chain and saturated fats with a lot of nuts, non-starchy vegetables and fruits. No processed foods, flour, grains (eliminates gluten), starchy foods -- basically no "bad" carbs. It is realatively easy to maintain -- you don't need to count calories so much as stay away from certain foods. I've been doing it since April and it has worked well for me.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I think it may be the blood type diet. Each blood type burns certain food differently. Some are bad for certain types and some are good. Dr. oz recomended. But, who can trust him anymore. Dr. Oz has turned commercial.

There was a book out years ago called "Eat Right 4 Your Type"...and it was about blood types and diets, and was very interesting how some foods really didn't work well with some types. I actually have it at home and haven't looked at it in years, but your post has inspired me to drag it out when I get home tonight.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options

The tin man wants a heart!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :explode: where is my popcorn??

With ya sister!!! LOL

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

On another thread re: paleo someone on following it said beans (legumes) were a big no-no because they are poisonous. Also, grains (which are natural) are not part of the diet.

Beans can be toxic due to the high lectin content, however this can be mitigated with proper preparation.

The point of paleo is not to mimic the diet of Paleolithic man, though some in the paleo community will disagree with me. The point is to use what we know about his diet to chose the most nutrient dense and beneficial foods. So where legumes consumed by paleo man, maybe but because of the preparation required, it is not likely. We also know that paleo man was a hunter/gatherer, not a farmer; so did he consume grains, maybe but not nearly as many as we consume today.

Paleolithic man is used as a model for the diet, that’s all.