Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Options
I'm looking to purchase a heart rate monitor (under $200) that can be used for a variety of excercises. My must haves are:

Calorie Counter
Distance/Time Tracker (GPS)
Works well through excessive amounts of sweat (would like to use during heat yoga, running, biking, rollerblading, Insanity, P90X, etc...)
HRM (preferrably without a chest strap)

I am have been reading a number of reviews and am getting overwhelmed.

I have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 405CX but really don't want to spend that much money if it isn't worth it.

Thanks!!

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My polar blue tooth was $70. works with my cell phone.
    It has a chest strap. the ones with out the strap won't work very well.
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    the best HRMs are with a cheststrap. They are way more accurate and you really don't feel them. I love my Polar T4. I got it for around $ 90 and its worth every penny!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend getting one with a chest strap, it's much more accurate. They are waterproof so sweat isn't an issue. I have one that does not do the calories for you, but it is inexpensive and quality - Polar FT1. I just take the average HR it gives me for the workout time and go to a website online that tells you calories based on gender, age, time, & avg HR.

In fact, although this one is normally around $70-80, it was advertised in my Sunday paper for $49.99 at the local Big 5 Sporting Goods. Might be worth it to check it out?
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have the CX and can say it's worth every penny and I LOVE it. If you are looking for distance and pace, Garmin is the only way to go IMO - that's what they do. The heart rate monitor it comes with is awesome as well.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7! Awesome
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 HRM. I've had Polar HRMs in the past and they have excellent customer service, they even replaced one my old watches with a new one for free!

I'm currently using the Garmin 405 because I wanted to know my distance and pace but if you are not interested in that I would recommend the Polar FT7.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need one with a chest strap if you want an accurate calorie estimation.

Polar FT60 is what your looking for it sounds like.