How do I survive my Labor Day cookout???

Options
How do I survive my Labor Day cookout???

My parents are having their annual labor day cookout with all the fatting food!!! Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Chips, Dip, Pasta Salad, Beer...etc!!! HELP!!! I am thinking about buying my own stuff to throw on the grill. What would you recommend???

Thanks,
Melissa

Replies

• AlyAnt26
    Options
    I would! You can get turkey dogs, or my favorite, CHICKEN SAUSAGES! Throw one on, no one will know the difference! You could take some pretzels or baked chips too! Ease up on mayonaise/creamy based salads! And go for lite beers (i know they aren't as good, but it's at least something!) Most of all, ENJOY the day! Get some extra exercise and you will be fine !!!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Offer to bring some food to help out like fruit salad, mixed green salad, chicken sausages as mentioned above, veggie burgers, etc...As backup shove some almonds in your pocket ;)
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love veggie burgers...so I bring those whenever my fam is bbqing. I also offer to bring a side that I can eat guilt free (green salad, fruit salad, or baked tostitos and salsa!).

Good luck! I think we will all be struggling at some point this weekend.... :)
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I recently had a hot dog with bun, a can of Coke, and a snack sized bag of Cheetos rather than starve at an event recently. Since I was on my feet all day and walking around a lot I didn't sweat it.

Don't park yourself near bowls of snacks - that's the biggest temptation. Chew mint gum all day.
  • nicksaysnever
    Options
    Have fun, first of all, because the more time you spend walking around, talking to people and generally loosening up, the less time you'll spend parked in front of the buffet eating things you shouldn't.

Hot dogs are a good choice for meat, as there are several popular brands that are surprisingly lean and low calorie. If you feel comfortable doing it, definitely ask the cook which brand they prefer and whether it's lean or not. Fruit salad and watermelon are a great alternative to chips. I generally eat so much watermelon at these things that I don't have room for anything else.

I also like to ask around and see whether anyone wants to take a walk around the neighborhood after lunch - I always get a few interested people and it's a great way to burn off some excess calories and avoid the buffet while continuing to have a good time.