Zumba???

2»

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member

Depending on your fitness, I don't think it's all that effective though. Loads of fun and counts as a good workout but it's not intense. There's no way I could burn more than 300 calories in a class and that would be doing all the advanced options flat out for the whole hour.

Jelly~ don't forget that our calories burned are based on our weight.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member

Depending on your fitness, I don't think it's all that effective though. Loads of fun and counts as a good workout but it's not intense. There's no way I could burn more than 300 calories in a class and that would be doing all the advanced options flat out for the whole hour.

To the person that posted this~ don't forget that our calories burned are based on our weight.

totaly agree with (rosied915) I can get over 300 cal burn doing 25min with the wii game ( I use a HRM )
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member

To the person that posted this~ don't forget that our calories burned are based on our weight.

Oh I know they are, but I could burn 500 in an hour of Body Attack, Spinning or Running. So, comparitively speaking, Zumba is not an intense option in my experience. I could be wrong but I assume that someone who burns 800 in a Zumba class could burn over 1000 doing something more intense.

totaly agree with (rosied915) I can get over 300 cal burn doing 25min with the wii game ( I use a HRM )
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Depending on the instructor it can be great fun (I've been to one class which flew by and I loved and two which had me bored to tears 10 minutes in). Instructors don't have to be properly trained in dance, just do a short course. So be careful how you pick your class and if you don't enjoy it try to find another one

If you're fairly new to exercise and not super fit I think it would be effective. If you're a very fit gym bunny who is used to spinning and circuit training it won't be effective for you.

I agree it depends on the instructor and the intensity the participants put into it . I wear a heart rate monitor, I am a gym rat, pretty fit and I've been doing Zumba for 2 and half years. I am 4'11, weigh 110 and tonight I burned 493 calories in 60 min. I would have to say it's a pretty darn good workout :wink: I don't burn as much running or doing the elliptical. But everyone has their preferences :smile:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    I love love love it!

did you check the web site, they list all instructors, there may be one near you that you just don't know about yet.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Depending on the instructor it can be great fun (I've been to one class which flew by and I loved and two which had me bored to tears 10 minutes in). Instructors don't have to be properly trained in dance, just do a short course. So be careful how you pick your class and if you don't enjoy it try to find another one

If you're fairly new to exercise and not super fit I think it would be effective. If you're a very fit gym bunny who is used to spinning and circuit training it won't be effective for you.

I agree it depends on the instructor and the intensity the participants put into it . I wear a heart rate monitor, I am a gym rat, pretty fit and I've been doing Zumba for 2 and half years. I am 4'11, weigh 110 and tonight I burned 493 calories in 60 min. I would have to say it's a pretty darn good workout :wink: I don't burn as much running or doing the elliptical. But everyone has their preferences :smile:

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't know it was possible to have that good a class. You must have (or be?) a great instructor.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't know it was possible to have that good a class. You must have (or be?) a great instructor.

Lol, I was the one instructing... thanks!!! The sad thing is, I used to burn more!! My body is too used to it now :ohwell:
  • Luv2Cook
    Luv2Cook Posts: 24 Member
    I recently bought the DVD's and love them! I have attended a few classes. They're fun, but if you're a beginner they can be difficult. The first time I took a few classes I felt like I had 2 left feet compared to everyone else in the class. The insturctor assurred me that it would get better with time. I agree with other posts that the classes are more fun, but if you want to learn the basics without embarassing yourself, buy the DVD's! I do them 3 times a week and I'm dripping wet when I'm done. I just learned tht my Rec Center is offering Zumba water aerobics! I'm going to attend a class next week! Can't wait! :)