Do you log cleaning as exercise?

Replies

• tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Only if I break a sweat while doing so.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    If I get my heartrate up over 140, I'll log it. That does not include most housework, ever, but two weeks ago I had my carpets cleaned and moved all of my furniture off the carpets and then back on the next day. You better believed I counted it. It was intense resistance training too with everything I lifted, so I needed a recovery day as well.

If I scrub the toilet, I'm not logging it, but if I'm scrubbing the shower vigorously for 1/2 an hour, I log it. It's up to you, but I say that if you're not feeling like you're working hard while you're cleaning, it's probably not worth noting the small calories burned. Many will already be accounting for your body's natural burn calories.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    I only log if I do enough that I sweat.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    I would only log something if it's in addition to the things I was doing before I started to losing weight. Mowing the lawn, for instance, I used to pay the kids to do it, now I do it.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    I don't log cleaning only because when you set your goals it asks you your activity level and so that kind of stuff would be fiqured into the amount of calories you burn per day, I do however log gardening/yardwork because that is not something I do on a regular basis its more of a once a week or every other week type thing for me. I just feel like for me if I log my cleaning then I am just trying to justify having a snack.
  • I don't, because I look at it like, I was doing this while I was gaining weight so it didn't do anything for me in the way of exercise then so why should I count it now.
    my thoughts exactly
  • "light" cleaning, even for a few hours, is normal. it's part of peoples everyday lives. unless youre just dirty and never clean but once a month. if it's part of life, DO NOT ADD IT. cleaning is something you did before. so unless you are completely getting down on the floor and scrubing with bleach and moving heavy things around, its nothing out of the norm.

anything extra you do (workouts, walking, etc.) that you didnt do before, is what you should log.

cleaning, washing dishes, ironing, prepairing foods- these are normal, everyday things.

working out, walking, cardio- those are the extras that help you lose. LOG THESE!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I don't, I put my hrm on for a cleaning session of mine and compared it to a non-clean but normal legth of time and figured out that for me the difference was negligible. Also, it's a normal part of my life, so for this is built in to my activity level.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    i log-in cleaning if i notice a change in my heart rate. most notibly when i clean the carpet on the stairs, haul laundry up & down for an hour or clean my teenage son's room (ha)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    I log any out of the ordinary cleaning like when I clean up the yard (hubby usually does it) or move furniture or deep clean my floors. Normal everyday cleaning doesn't get logged.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    I would say it depends on what you set your MFP profile on, sedentary, light activity, ect. I would log anything that made me breath heavy or sweat (other than just hot weather) if I were sedentary. But as you lose weight, I highly doubt those activities would be worth logging since you no longer strain doing them. Of course, heavy cleaning like scrubbing floors vigorously would be the exception.
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    I set my profile on sedentary & usually log my cooking & cleaning. I usually break a sweat doing both. Vacuuming up after 4 dogs, a cat, a wife & 2 kids IS definitely a workout & when I cook, I make most everything from scratch, so it requires chopping, mixing, etc...in a hot kitchen.
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    I do, but only when I go on a cleaning frenzy and spend hours scrubbing and cleaning the entire apartment.
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    I log it if I break a sweat. If it's just making the bed or something, no.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I set my profile on sedentary & usually log my cooking & cleaning. I usually break a sweat doing both. Vacuuming up after 4 dogs, a cat, a wife & 2 kids IS definitely a workout & when I cook, I make most everything from scratch, so it requires chopping, mixing, etc...in a hot kitchen.

The fact it's in a hot kitchen, making you sweat more...means absolutely nothing in the realm of calorie burn. Just puttin that out there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I work a desk job so cleaning up around the house in the afternoons is part of my movement for the day. Do you all log it and how closely? Its not a tremendous amount of earned calories but its an extra snack a day for me :)
    Not if it's everyday. If I do some 4 hour spring cleaning (it's an occasional thing) then I would.
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Yes I do, but not the regular doing dishes and sweeping the floor cleaning, I log in the major cleaning, like mopping and scrubbing and stuff like that.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I don't, because I look at it like, I was doing this while I was gaining weight so it didn't do anything for me in the way of exercise then so why should I count it now.

THIS :drinker:
  • rluxie
    rluxie Posts: 18 Member
    I don't log the regular everyday stuff. My son who is a physical education/sports fitness director and I talked about it and he said that when I filled out my profile and stated that I was moderately active that was included in it. I do record my daily exercise because that is not a moderate activity level, nor is mowing the lawn once a week. We both agreed if I did heavy house work, like washing walls or floors, windows, heavy lifting and that kind of stuff then I would list it that day.

A gal posted a great comment last week or so and said that she listed her lifestyle as quite sedentary so housework for her was an increased activity level. I think it just depends on what is a normal day for you. Good luck
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Log it if you want. I was going to gym and walking before I was losing weight I still log those