Hydration advice for morning runners

Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
If you are waiting until the morning of run to drink, you've waited too long!

Drink lots and lots (and lots) before you go to bed.

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    But then I'll have to get up in the middle of the night to pee like five times...LOL. I will have to try it, though. Thanks!
  • arc918
    Options
    But then I'll have to get up in the middle of the night to pee like five times...LOL. I will have to try it, though. Thanks!

yes but that helps me get up at 5:20 to go running!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yep! Before bed!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

yes but that helps me get up at 5:20 to go running!

No it won't--- I'll be up too many times at night to pee and I won't get any sleep. :tongue:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have about a liter of water right before bed and another one after I wake up. By the time I get dressed, and get warmed up for my run, I am ready to go.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that if you ain't peeing in the middle of the night, you ain't thoroughly hydrated (ruling out prostate issues of course).
  • arc918
    Options
    My philosophy is that if you ain't peeing in the middle of the night, you ain't thoroughly hydrated (ruling out prostate issues of course).

dead on!

as for drinking in the morning before running, I do very little of it (sometimes none at all)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options

dead on!

as for drinking in the morning before running, I do very little of it (sometimes none at all)

I agree with this as well! I get up to pee at least twice a night and it is actually pretty natural to do so in general! At first it was tough to get up but after a week I was used to it and didn't notice a difference at all.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've set a glass of water on the night stand to drink whenever I woke up middle of the night also.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've set a glass of water on the night stand to drink whenever I woke up middle of the night also.

Same here! Water bottle anyways...my cats love to spill water.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well! I get up to pee at least twice a night and it is actually pretty natural to do so in general! At first it was tough to get up but after a week I was used to it and didn't notice a difference at all.

I don't wake up in the night, but the loo is my first stop in the am?
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    32 ounces before bed here.. always!
    that doesn't count the 64-80+ I drink every day.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    This is some of the best advice ever!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Haha - I won't drink anything at all after 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. I *hate* getting up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom! I usually have about 16-24 ounces of water when I wake up, then I bring my Camelbak on my hike (I'm not technically a runner). That's always worked fine for my hydration needs!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    I try and drink a good amount of water throughout the day and stop drinking water about an hour before I go to bed. That helps ease my worry.