Cutting my carbs at Subway...

I'm sorry..after I work out the 6inch sandwich just isn't enough. I'm diabetic and 96 carbs that make upt he footlong aren't good for me. Today I ate my sandwich open face, the way you would eat a french bread pizza. This eliminated 1/2 the carbs. Why did I not think of this before! I have no clue how to calculate that in my food diary but I know that the carbs are half of what they are listed as and that makes me a happy camper. Woo hoo!

Replies

• shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    That's a good idea, I miss eating subway I'm staying under 100 grams of Carbs a day and there is no way that would fit into my daily goals. I had no idea how many carbs subway bread had until I looked it up on MFP! Subway really isn't the best choice after a work out if you have the time and the means it's always better to prepare your own meals so you can portion correctly.
  • That's a good idea, I miss eating subway I'm staying under 100 grams of Carbs a day and there is no way that would fit into my daily goals. I had no idea how many carbs subway bread had until I looked it up on MFP!

Yeah or sodium. After I ate a 6in thinking that I did a good job on calories, I typed it into mfp and found out how loaded with sodium that just the veggie sub is! Depressing!:noway:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    And that bread contains high-fructose corn syrup - 45% sucrose/55% fructose. And the whole grain bread has more HFCS in it than whole grain (they use ammonium sulfate to give it a brown color and it also provided nitrogen for the yeast. This chemical is used in fertilizers). The wheat bread is not wheat bread. It is made with enriched flour. Get your carbs through veggies and occasional fruit and you would be amazed how much food you get to eat while keeping carbs low.

http://webecoist.com/2009/05/08/10-weird-and-gross-ingredients-in-processed-food/

http://www.shapefit.com/diet/subway-healthy-fast-food.html
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Another idea is to get the bread inside out. Meaning, you ask them to hollow out the bread. I work at Subway and do this all the time for my subs. Doesn't taste any different but saves some calories and carbs (not sure how much but it saves some for sure). Or the salads are good too! Just get double the meat so you get the extra protein!
  • These are great suggestions...especially the hollowing out of the roll. I can have 45 grams of carbs per meal and I am thinking I might right around there eatting 1/2 the roll. Agreed that the sodium is high but I find its impossible to track fat,sugar, carbs, sodium, etc all at once. I pick whats most important to me which are carbs and sugar and run with those. Subway also is a good option for me because it literally next door to the gym. I have been trying to prepare my own meals but living alone, I do find that I am not as motivated to cook a meal as I would be if I had a family. I would love any other quick grab solutions if you have any..
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I'm sorry..after I work out the 6inch sandwich just isn't enough. I'm diabetic and 96 carbs that make upt he footlong aren't good for me. Today I ate my sandwich open face, the way you would eat a french bread pizza. This eliminated 1/2 the carbs. Why did I not think of this before! I have no clue how to calculate that in my food diary but I know that the carbs are half of what they are listed as and that makes me a happy camper. Woo hoo!

I like Jimmy John's so much better than Subway when having to eat out in a pinch.............

That will take a whole sandwich and wrap it in lettuce for an "unwich"................Sooo good.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    If Subway is my meal option, for whatever reason, I just cut the carbs by getting my sandwich as a salad. You can request that any of their sandwiches be done as a salad instead and you still choose all the stuff you want them to add, including spinach, which helps bulk up the salad even more. Then I cut the sodium by getting the chicken breast for my protein instead of any of the sliced lunch meats, keeps the sodium level around 350 that way an the carbs very minimal, just the natural ones from the veggies.
  • I like Jimmy John's so much better than Subway when having to eat out in a pinch.............

That will take a whole sandwich and wrap it in lettuce for an "unwich"................Sooo good.
    [/quote]

There is a Jimmy's that's in Conshohocken. Not in the same shopping center like Subway but an option I can consider. I don't mind using lettace as the wrapping.

As for getting the salad at subway..it feels dry and their dressings have to many carbs. I did order single servings of the calorie free/carb free Walden Farms dressings online but I used those up quickly. Might be time to order more. I bought several of the bottles and am using those much slower.

Thanks for all the good ideas