OT- housewarming

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
My boyfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house, so we're really excited about actually having room to entertain and have people over, so we want to have a housewarming. What are the ettiquette rules on that? I know for baby and wedding showers you're not supposed to throw one for yourself, but what about housewarming? Does someone technically have to throw it for us, or since it's our house is it ok that we throw it?

Second problem, by the time we close and move in and get somewhat settled, it will probably be close to my birthday...the bf and I want to have backyard parties since we're both turning 30 this year, and I think it would be too hectic to have a housewarming and shortly after a birthday party, but I don't want to make people feel obligated to buy us housewarming and birthday gifts (or neither actually). I would never expect gifts for either occasion, except that I know several people have already asked what we want as a housewarming gift and I think anyone who gets invited to a housewarming tends to bring a little something anyway....I don't want people thinking I am a leech and trying to sucker out two gifts from everyone. Do I just have my birthday party and leave it up to people to bring what they want (or not). Thanks for any input!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house, so we're really excited about actually having room to entertain and have people over, so we want to have a housewarming. What are the ettiquette rules on that? I know for baby and wedding showers you're not supposed to throw one for yourself, but what about housewarming? Does someone technically have to throw it for us, or since it's our house is it ok that we throw it?

Second problem, by the time we close and move in and get somewhat settled, it will probably be close to my birthday...the bf and I want to have backyard parties since we're both turning 30 this year, and I think it would be too hectic to have a housewarming and shortly after a birthday party, but I don't want to make people feel obligated to buy us housewarming and birthday gifts (or neither actually). I would never expect gifts for either occasion, except that I know several people have already asked what we want as a housewarming gift and I think anyone who gets invited to a housewarming tends to bring a little something anyway....I don't want people thinking I am a leech and trying to sucker out two gifts from everyone. Do I just have my birthday party and leave it up to people to bring what they want (or not). Thanks for any input!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    We have bought 9 different houses and have always thrown a huge party once we have gotten settled in. I think it's okay for you to give yourself a housewarming party, that's what houses are for. We always told people not to bring anything but themselves since we generally sell our old stuff when moving to a new house in order to get new things and we don't want or need anything, just good friends and a good time.

As far as having a birthday party/housewarming do what you want. I would have two parties cause it would be twice as much fun! :bigsmile:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i would have one big party, but thats just me :tongue:

everyone will see your new house and be able to celebrate your birthdays too :flowerforyou:

good luck and you will have a great party/parties anyway :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'd have multiple parties and just include the tagline "No gifts please" if written, or say it if invites are verbal. Let everyone know their presence is all you ask. :smile: Congrats on the impending house!!