Steam Rooms?

Options
Soo I was casually talking to someone at the gym, and she was telling me how going to the steam room 10 mins after you work out really helps you. She said she does 10-15 mins of steam room then 10 mins of the sauna. So I decided to try it out. The first time.. I didnt make it past 2 minutes, i just couldnt breathe. Now a week later I can stand up to 10 mins of the steam room, and I dare not try the sauna. My question is.. I cant tell a difference from going or not.. so what exactly is the steam room supposed to do to you? The only thing I notes is that my skin turns blouchy, and my face gets really pink, and my body tingles, and these are abnormal to me, bc im a black check that hardly turn colors.

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    No idea muscle wise .

But steam is wonderful for your skin.

Wash your face afterwards. You will be all glowy in no time :)
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    the heat helps you sweat (which can help if you're high in sodium) i've been told before that steam rooms help burn calories, but i've never looked into it so im not sure if its true.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you are not enjoying it don’t do it. I love it and find it very relaxing after a workout but I don't think there are any real health benefits. If it’s not your cup of tea don’t “sweat it”
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    If you are not enjoying it don’t do it. I love it and find it very relaxing after a workout but I don't think there are any real heath benefits. If it’s not your cup of tea don’t “sweat it”

Aha! :D
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    The steam room provides for good mamm watching - and discovering that personal grooming is not as common as one would think.
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    the steam and sauna may burn calories cause the heat elevates ur heart rate, but it has nothign to do with it.

for starters, it is a great way of getting toxins out of your body. secondly the heat allows your muscles, veins, arteries and all other blood transports to exapand allowing the blood to rush through your body. make sure you drink plenty of water, and eat withn 30 minutes. you want to put food in your body while everything is still open because your body will more easily be able to take up those nutrients. (we actually discussed this topic in my nutrition class today)

personally i either sit in the steam for about 10 and then the sauna for about 20, but if i dont do steam i can stay in the sauna up to almost an hour. im big on meditation and learning to control yourself under extreme conditions and this can help you learn to control yourself in other environemtns, such as when you crave ice cream. it tought me how to relax and also how to control my breathing.
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of you alls input.

@jp09m I agree. I will say that its like peacefu time. I feel more relaxed and kind of free when I get out of the steam room. I also noticed that I am controling my breathing, I feel like it opens my lungs up or something.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    we don't have a steam room at my gym, but we do have a dry sauna and I LOVE IT! it is SO relaxing and i actually cool-down after my work-out, even though it's super hot in there. i started at 5 min and i'm working up to 20 min. i have done alot of research and can't find any real benefit as far as calories or exercise, but it is good for the skin. even if i just feel better after and there are no other "rewards" then i think it's worth it. :)