Ice Cream

Options
My kids and I have decided we want to go get us some ice cream!! However, I would like to keep it somewhat healthy..... so, what do y'all suggest???

Replies

• IAmTheAwesomest
    Options
    dairy queen: small cone
    store: anything below 110
  • warlocksmistress
    Options
    I always do frozen yogurt.
  • wrubsie76
    wrubsie76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. They are low fat/low calories and very tasty. They come in a variety of flavors.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    This is controversial, but I like SoDelicious, it's made with light soy milk and soooo creamy, around 130cals/serving. Get the Chocolate!
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree. Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches are delicious. We love the mint. Vanilla has a great flavor too.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    And Breyers has a lowfat (or is it nonfat?) Double-Churned option, I think their ingredients are pretty basic.

They also have the Naturals that have only five ingredients: Milk, Cream, Sugar, Cocoa, Vanilla. Sounds good to me.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. They are low fat/low calories and very tasty. They come in a variety of flavors.

They also make other products, such as ice cream cones, fudge bars, and single serve containers.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hate fake stuff, so when I eat ice cream, it's the real thing. I mean, fro-yo is fine, but anything that has artificial sweeteners in it is not on my list. just keep the portion small.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you are going out to an ice cream place, try to get sugar free/fat free.....that will be your best bet with lower calories
  • Tahru
    Tahru Posts: 58
    Options
    Mcdonald's!
    A cone is only 150~
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Gelato, Sorbet, or small cup (no cone calories). Or when I go to Coldstone Creamery, I still get my fav, hot fudge and all, in the smallest size and burn it off. Totally worth it! Just like for your kids, this is only a TREAT for you, not an everyday thing, so live a little.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got some good options! I am not an ice cream eater so I have no idea! =[ I mean, maybe soy ice cream or something.. The only reason I know thats a little bit better is because my 4 year old cant have regular ice cream
  • vdiet
    vdiet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Banana Ice Cream = Slice a ripe banana on a plate and freeze. Then put it in the food processor until smooth. It taste GREAT and is guilt free. You can always add extras like a t. of peanut butter or chocolate syrup, etc. ENJOY!!!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I hate fake stuff, so when I eat ice cream, it's the real thing. I mean, fro-yo is fine, but anything that has artificial sweeteners in it is not on my list. just keep the portion small.

yup, this is my thought too. make it a treat. unless you can't control yourself :P i had a really good sherbet.fro-yo combo. it's DelMonte Mango/Peach Sherbet with Pineapple fro-yo. sooo good, and not terrible cal wise.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I agree. Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches are delicious. We love the mint. Vanilla has a great flavor too.

I like the mint ones, too.

My wife and I have also been into the Edy's Slow Churned varieties. Most are in the 110-130 calorie per 1/2 cup range and they actually taste pretty good. Good enough for my *kitten*-for-ice cream sweet tooth, anyway :wink:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    walmart has tubs of icemilk. tastes like ice cream to me, esp. the chocolate, but there's only 2 grams of fat per serving. and then i use one of their sugar cones, 49 cals.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    italian Ice, (or water ice depending on where you live) sherbert, or sorbet

Froze Fruit Pops.

Trader Joe's has raspberry & cream bars and mango & cream bars, which are a yummy, small, treat for about 80 calories. they come in coffee to, but I haven't tried them.

I love tart things so Trader Joe's Lime Fruit Floes are yummy, I think they've got strawberry and a tropical blend too. )
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    walmart has tubs of icemilk. tastes like ice cream to me, esp. the chocolate, but there's only 2 grams of fat per serving. and then i use one of their sugar cones, 49 cals.

OMG, when I was a teen in the 70s trying to lose weight my Mom bought me Ice milk so I could have a treat while the sibs had ice cream. I've been trying to find some.

Back in the 70s it was really the only option available, but I like the idea. Even though it's a sweet it's real ingredients rather than mystery ingredients you can't pronounce.

Yaaaaay
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Find your favourite and have a small serve.
    In my opinion this is a much better lesson to teach your kids - that it's ok to have a treat now and again, not finding a low cal substitute so you can eat a lot. For me, real food and portion control is the key.
    And I don't like the idea of filling kids up with fake sugars.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Something we've discovered with our toddler, actual yogurt in the freezer is a great treat for her! we put in a big tub, but the smaller containers of your favorite flavor (probably not great for fruit on the bottom ones) would be tasty! and it's not different than eating it for a snack any other time of the day :)