I am so depressed...

I gained 10 pounds over the holidays!!! Why does it go on so easily, but come off so hard??! :frown:

Replies

• lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    I gained 10 pounds over the holidays!!! Why does it go on so easily, but come off so hard??! :frown:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Well the good news is, the holidays are about over. :flowerforyou:

Tomorrow starts a new you! :drinker:
  • Don't get down. Just keep doing what you know to do. It will be just fine. Keep your head up!:flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    ME TOO!!!!!! I've gained 8 lbs over a very stressful holiday season, so I'm with you girl - I've cleaned up my eating, but tomorrow starts the serious logging again!

Happy New Year to everyone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    You guys will be ok!! Just get back on track and you will be ok!! :flowerforyou:

Happy New Year!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Some of it may be water weight. Just learn from what you did, get back to the new lifestyle, and try not to let it get you down so much. Remember this next time. Remember that you don't want to throw away all of your hard work. It certainly helped me the times I fell off the wagon. I mean next time a temptation came around I was much more hesitant. It's all part of the process. Learn from it and move on. You didn't learn your habits previous to this site overnight you won't completely change your life overnight. It takes time...baby steps. Just don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Ohh dear...I wouldnt think that would happen just over the holidays:ohwell: Maybe your retaining more water than normal? I think that could happen if you had alot more sodium in your diet over the holidays than normally? Or, it could be close to TOM (such as is the case with me so I dont want to jump on no scale:noway: lol) Im sure someone will come along to reply to this that has alot more knowledge than I do about it, but I personally dont think it would happen with just eating during the christmas holidays...or if maybe your talking about since Thanksgiving as well, I suppose that IS possible? Sorry Im not more help...:ohwell:
    Hang in there!:drinker: You can take it off again:heart:
    ~Roni
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    See...lol just in the time it took me to reply to you LOOK at all the good advice you've gotten:flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Junk food does add water weight. For me, I always notice that as soon as I clean up my eating up, some of the weight just melts right off. It only takes about three days. Processed foods and sugars make you puffy. It's not all fat because it would be impossible to gain weight that fast.

Just clean up your diet and you will feel much better soon! :heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Good thing Thanksgiving and Christmas come only once a year, right? :wink:
    Chin up dearie.
  • Don't give up!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    I gained 4 pounds myself but started eating better and a week later I was down the same 4 pounds. Get back on track and it will come off. Have a safe and Happy New Year :drinker: :drinker:
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Imr- DONT GIVE UP!!!!!! You can do this...I promise you u can..I've lost 105 pounds in 2 years..Remeber we didnt put all this weight on overnight and its not gonna just melt away..It takes time...We have to take it 1 pound at a time....Keep your head up girl..YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Don't worry you didnt eat 28,000 extra calories (8 pounds). Most of it is water weight from the salt and other things. Now that you have the few extra calories lift heavier on your weights because you have the energy and do harder/longer cardio for the next few days. Drink LOTS of water to flush out toxins holding in you, especially the salt. the few pounds will fall off becuase its not true weight. Don't be discouraged and just make sure to get right back on track! weight loss is a long journey and next christmas you will probably have better portion control!!!
  • jackobean29
    jackobean29 Posts: 28 Member
    Put the gain in the past and look to the future, you will have many more gains to come, the trick is to forgive yourself for the gain and to move on. I have many times gained 10lbs in a week, I retain water easily, especially during a particular time of the month.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Don't worry you didnt eat 28,000 extra calories (8 pounds). Most of it is water weight from the salt and other things. Now that you have the few extra calories lift heavier on your weights because you have the energy and do harder/longer cardio for the next few days. Drink LOTS of water to flush out toxins holding in you, especially the salt. the few pounds will fall off becuase its not true weight. Don't be discouraged and just make sure to get right back on track! weight loss is a long journey and next christmas you will probably have better portion control!!!

Great first post surferchick! We are so quick to panic when we see the scale go up. I am so glad that I learned eating foods outside my norm brings on water retention and a jump in the scale.

I ate good yesterday considering I ate out but I knew to expect extra lbs today. Sure enough I was up 2. But I know why and that it will go away with water and normal eating today.
  • Hi,

I am new to MFP as of today but I can honestly say you have to shake it off and let it go. Weight loss has challanges and setbacks and you have to expect that. The holidays are over now and you don't have to feel bad saying no if someone offers you a treat. Smile, get back up and start again.

Angel
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    I put on a few and I am determined to drop that and then some!!!! they say what you do on new years day you do all year so I am going to the gym first thing in the morning and running and doing a hard workout cause thats what I want my year to be
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Life Surferchick said, some of it is probably water weight (when I first started in here, I lost 5lbs in the first week, then 2lbs after that - lots of water in the first bit).

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou: