Either I'm Wrong or I have Haters!

Options
So, in the span of one week i have went from seeing amazing results to now.....I don't know what to call it! It all started with classes starting last week. I had an associate tell me I need to lose more weight for my career choice....I had another individual tell me walking on the treadmill and riding the bike for an hour is for old people and I need to start running and hitting the elliptical. I WAS BLOWN OFF MY FEET. For one, I just tarted working out a month ago, for two I just started going to the actual gym 3 weeks ago. So, basically my question is, do you have to run to lose weight? I thought you built up to it BUT apparently what I've been learning in Kinesiology, 60 minutes 5 days a day of moderate activity, is wrong. I thought as long as I have my heart rate up and I'm sweating bullets then I'm doing something right.......

Replies

• routerguy666
    Options
    Bull*** and tell them all to **** ****.

Stick to eating healthy and increase your exercise as your body allows you to do so.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Just ignore those ppl. They really are the definition of haters >_<

I think it sounds like you are doing an AWESOME job, and these ppl are just trying to find an excuse to sound more knowledgable and to make you feel like your handwork has been nothing.

Screw them though, you are doing amazing. I've never joined the gym or even used the school one, so you are obviously showing true dedication!!!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Start with doing what you feel comfortable with and keep up the good work :) Who cares what people say..
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing what you need to be doing to lose weight :). Congrats! And don't listen to them. The key is to get your heart rate up and watch what you're eating. I agree with what the others have posted! Tell these people to mind their own business ;-)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Stick to eating healthy and increase your exercise as your body allows you to do so.

Agreed!!! If you havent been running then you would only be setting yourself up for injury by running that much that fast. Gradual changes are the most healthy, most effective way to lose weight! Keep up the good work!!!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

is your pic from the Human Centipede
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    those people you work with suck. the body doesn't know the difference between walking and elliptical. it knows movement. my doctor told me that when I at first made excuses about working out. now i can't live without it.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    well I guess the weight I've lost is a figment of my imagination. I mostly WALK, and don't drip sweat when I get done.

Go figure?!

I've heard it said, the best exercise program is one you'll stick with- that fits into your lifestyle. That's profound if you ask me.
  • Cortrpr
    Cortrpr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The problem with running is not everyone can do it. It's hard on the joints, especially if you just started working out! That's so outrageous. Everyone always turns to this because they see that runners burn so many calories, then they injure themselves and can't go to the gym anymore! You are doing great.

I do enjoy the elliptical because it's nonimpact and you can set your own pace, but it is crucial if you just started working out at the gym to not overdo it with either weights or cardio. As your body gets conditioned you'll be able to throw more at it. Keep up the good work.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    How did people excercise before the elliptical?
    I might be dating myself a little here, but I remember Jand Fonda and Richard Simmons. They were on to something, too.
    Just 5 years ago, studies showed that walking was the best exercise.
    Ever been to a retirement community during their recreation time? They're dancing or doing water aerobics.

My point is, there are always a lot of people with a lot of opinions who will say a lot of things. Do you, girlfriend.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    THEY'RE PROBABLY JELLY :) H8RS GONNA H8...
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right. Start where you are comfortable and build up to more. Don't worry about those folks.
  • tulipsrbetter
    Options
    Do what you feel is right for you, everyone is different in their capabilities. If what you are doing is working, then keep with it. Once you see your progress slowing, change it up. It's all about you, not them.... and let them know it!!! Best of luck!
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i lost 65 pounds in 6 months just by counting calories and walking (at a pace of 3 - 3.5 mph) on my treadmill. you do not have to go to extremes! weight loss is simply a matter of calories consumed vs calories burned. sounds like you have your stuff figured out! try to ignore the negativity. :smile:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Good grief no! I only started running today and that's only because I'm preparing to do a mini triathalon. I lost 100 pounds and the only cardio I did was walking on the treadmill and riding my bike, oh yeah, and dancing. I love to dance. I also did resistance training. But to start with, you don't even have to pick up a weight. You can start by doing body weight resistance. You can't just jump out there and start running. Find something you enjoy doing and do it. If you hate running, you aren't going to do it with any regularity. I love to dance and I love to bike. I can dance for hours on end and I biked 452 miles this month because I wanted to see if I could. But it's because I love those things. If I hated it, I wouldn't get out of bed to to it. There would alwways be an excuse not to. Do what you enjoy.
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options

That movie was sooo creepy!!!
  • routerguy666
    Options

That movie was sooo creepy!!!

I have no idea where I got that picture, could be from that movie. Never saw it.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    1. Life weights to lose weight.

2. Do the cardio of your choice to gain fitness and endurance.

3. Ignore the haters!

You're off to a good start - only you know what works for your body and life, so carry on! :smile:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    They are haters. You can lose weight with walking. It is preferred by LOTS of people, especially those with knee issues. Geez, just keep up what you are doing and forget what they are saying!!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    Your doing it right, keep at it and don't let them stress you. If you over do it now, your not going to even be able to do what your doing, so take your time and don't push harder than you feel comfortable with.