root canal....

Options
this is not a weight loss question....so i woke up on monday with the worst tooth ache ever!!!! so i went to the dentist yesturday and they say i need a root canal asap.:sad: ....it is soooo painful(worse than labor pains):sick: so i am going in today and im terrified!!!! has anyone ever had one, and how bad is it???? the good news is, is that its not a cavity its just my tooth rejecting the old filling from like 8 years ago....thats not really that good of news cause it doesnt change anything:laugh: i am sooo terrified:sad: :frown: :sad:

Replies

• nicolet04
    Options
    this is not a weight loss question....so i woke up on monday with the worst tooth ache ever!!!! so i went to the dentist yesturday and they say i need a root canal asap.:sad: ....it is soooo painful(worse than labor pains):sick: so i am going in today and im terrified!!!! has anyone ever had one, and how bad is it???? the good news is, is that its not a cavity its just my tooth rejecting the old filling from like 8 years ago....thats not really that good of news cause it doesnt change anything:laugh: i am sooo terrified:sad: :frown: :sad:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    lasy year before my wedding i decided that i finally needed to get my teeth sorted for the first time in about 15 years, im only 26 lol

i didnt go in so long because i was terrified

i needed about 8 fillings initially and then a while back one had to be redone

well about 2 months ago, i had to have a root canal done and i literally could not sleep the night before

the most painful thing about the whole procedure was paying for it! 630euro! dentists are expensive in Ireland :mad:

my neck was a little sore from sitting in the chair for an hour and a half, but other than that it didnt hurt at all, i was so relieved

i am still terrified but i know now that i can get through it and so can you huni xxx :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 root canals and it's not bad at all. The most difficult part the freezing (I don't like needles in my gums).
    The pain before the canal is really bad but after the procedure, you'll be back to your normal self.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • nicolet04
    Options
    thankyou guys for that!!! i am a little relieved now:ohwell: i was gonna wait until after tomorrow but i cant even eat(and im even on vicodin) without crying:sad: so it will b worth it!!! thanks again!!!:wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if you can afford it, get the gas. it makes the whole thing much more bearable. i have had three, one hurt badly (it was super infected) and two did not hurt but were just uncomfortable (sitting with your mouth wide open for so long.) I had the gas for all three and it made the whole thing much easier. it was about $75 more at my dentist for the gas. I would have paid that double for how much stress it eased off of me.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    8, yes I've had 8 root canals! Not all at once but because I needed crowns I did get 4 at one time.

The worst pain you will feel is the pain you are having now. For me as soon as they open up the tooth and relieve the pressure it starts to feel better.

If they give you anibotics make sure you take them all. Don't stop if the pain goes away. Like any infection you need to make sure it's gone or it will come back. You may or not need them.

Plus dentistry has come along way. Most root canals can be done in one visit. My first one back in the early 70's I had to go 5 days in a row.
  • marisa0918
    Options
    Ok I actaully just had one done yesterday. I chipped one of my molars a while back and never went to the dentists well because it never hurt. Well it really started hurting and yes it was worse then labor pains too lol Well I went to the dentist yesterday he sent me to an oral surgeon yesterday and I got the root canal. I did not feel any pain during the whole procedure. I was numb for about 4 hours afterwards. Honestly it did start hurting last night, but noting unbearable...no worse then what it was before, and my doc did perscribe me pain pills. Today it is just a small pain...the only bad thing (well not really a bad thing) but I can't really eat. I can only open my mouth so much so I have to literally push my food in and everything gets that tooth filling taste. But anyways it's really not that bad so dont stress too much over it :wink:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    before i got the nerve out, the pain was unbearable, i had to go to casualty to get an injection of strong medicine and could still feel the pain, they didnt want to give me anymore cuz it was 2 dangerous

tooth pain is the worst in the world

once i had the nerve out, i went after 2 months to get the root canal, that was not painful at all thank god :flowerforyou: