Slowest Runner Ever??????

Options
13»

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in April and I know I was darn slow. I turned 45 in March and I have NEVER been a runner; I've always hated it. I think my first few times I was going about a mile, maybe 1.2 miles, in the 20-25 minutes I was out there on the pavement.

Someone else in this thread mentioned Jeff Galloway and my sister introduced me to his method of run/walk in intervals when I hit about Week 3 in the C25K program. (She runs marathons and halves running 6 minutes and walking one minute). I've been running intervals ever since. I'm currently running 3 or 4 minutes then walking 1 minute. I can finish a 5K in about 36 minutes (12 minute mile) . I don't think I could run the whole thing that quickly and I really don't have the desire to try. It's amazing what even 60 seconds of walking can do for your endurance.

My point is, you might find it faster to stick to run/walk intervals, if you're concerned about time. Give it a try.

My kindred sister! Im a Galloway girl as well.

To the other poster who is waiting for it as a reward ... start NOW! I started running at 276 pounds!!:)
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from. When I started training for my first 5 k , I swore that my mall-walking father could finish before I would. I takes time and patience. Keep up the training and you will get there. Race day, the adrenaline will kick in and you will likely go faster than you expect. Make sure you have some great tunes for that 5 k and just go. Who cares who finishes last. They will be cheering you on no matter what. I ran my first 5 k last week. Finished third out of 5 in my age group.
    Best of luck.
    Angela:smile:
  • niallse
    Options
    Do not worry, you clearly have the heart and desire to improve, therefore you will. My first organised 5k took me 32mins. Less than 4 months on, I'm doing 5k in 22 mins with lots more improvement to come - because I believe in myself.

You will get there, because you have already achieved the distance!!. As for your upcoming race, first aim is to finish. It does not matter if you come last, or near the back, you will get better. You have a target pace now of 56 mins. Each time you run, keep that target time in mind and try to better it. Sometimes you will and sometimes you wont, but one thing to remember is to have fun trying!

Best of luck!!
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Let me tell ya a 'lil story.

In 2006 I did my first 10K (and I had never done a 5K). I am a walker...not ready to run a full one yet, but there were 11,000 people in this race. My goal was just to complete it. That's it. (well, there was sorta an assumption that if I completed it, I wouldn't come in last). What happened? I completed it....DEAD LAST! out of more than 11,000 people I was DEAD LAST. They were already taking down the balloons and stuff at the finish line. My brother in law was kind enough to walk the whole thing with me, but since I slowed him down considerably, it was only right for him to step over the line first.... :)

And, there my BENCHMARK was made. I decided that I would celebrate that I finished the race, PERIOD END. And, my goal would be to be better the next year. and...better I was.....The next year...there were nearly 13,000 in that race and I finshed mid-pack. Actually I was in the upper half, not by much.

I learned that I am competing with myself. I only have to satisfy myself and know that I myself am improving. I doubt I will ever be a first place finisher in 5K's or 10K's, but I am out there moving. I am measuring progress by my improvements. And, that's what timing myself is for me?

Don't use your time to "hold you down". Use your time, to challenge yourself. Figure out what you can do different, how you can improve. And, be happy that you are just out there participating and doing it!!!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I am SCREAMING in jealousy over here! I want to be a runner! Right now I am a walker but will not let myself start the c25k program until I lose another 14.2 pounds and reach onederland. (c25k is my reward for getting to that level)

We want to details on how your race goes!!!!

I don't really get this line of thinking. You'll get to under 200 a heck of a lot quicker if you add in a fat-burning exercise like running. FTR, I was 219 when I started C25k, and 187 when I finished it....
  • hjfischer
    Options
    My husband claims he has never seen anyone run as slow as me. LOL The point is that you are out there and you are running. No matter what pace. The goal is to finish the race. However you cross that finish line, remember YOU are a winner! I have run full marathons and now only run halfs. I am slow as ****, but I have a good time doing it. Chin up and keep moving.
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just had to return to share the love with you guys. Last night I did the route again in 51 minutes. Woot woot!!!
    If I do it under 50 on race day I'll pee my pants! :)
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for updating us! You ROCK for taking this on. Just keep moving:)
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    hey im by no means fit but am trying to shed the pounds and hve been training for a 5k run when i can get me time down. ive been doing interval training. just to show how its improved my times when i strted i could run at about 7.5kmph and only for a short time. over about 10 weeks ive been doing 30 secs at a fast pace (so far im up to 11kmph) followed by however long a walk u need to recover a little, then repeat the proces again and again. now i can run a solid mile non stop at 10.5kmph and best of all a 5k in 39 mins. by no means will this win me any medals but its great when u can see improvements. good luck and keep at it x
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! wait until the adrenalin kicks in on race day!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i predict you'll do it in under 46 minutes. :) the adrenaline on race day will help.

my advice is: don't worry about the time; just have fun and be proud of yourself for participating.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to hear the news! You'll do great!!
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I never wear the chip, if possible. I race against myself.... I rode in a charity bike ride this weekend, I just knew I was last b/c this woman stayed behind be until the first stop. When I was going to leave I noticed all these people just getting to the rest stop and the lady who followed me the first 12.5 miles wanted to finish the final leg with me...she was just as slow as I was:)
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    So...been training for a 5K for about 10 weeks now....tonight we actually ran the whole 5K route for the first time. I ran for 15 min for 2 different increments. Which was the longest stretch I have ever run and I was totally pumped.

Then the time keeps ticking and ticking......and my goal of doing it in 40 min.....nope. OK...45 min?....NOPE.

IT TOOK ME 55 MINUTES. :(

I am extremely disappointed. That's not even a fast walking pace.

Can I even say I am running?? Or should I reclassify as shuffling.....trotting.....trudging......

Blah!!! Over 500 ppl did this race last year and the slowest time was 56 minutes. That's going to be me. All this talk about doing this 5K and I get to tell people I came in last when it's over.

yes but as every publicist in hollywood will tell you...they ARE talking about you!
    :)
    seriously tho....when you train, try some beginning interval training. warm up for a few minutes and then go faster for fifteen seconds, then back down to your original pace for 3 minutes. do as many intervals as you can for the distance you go or the time you are out.
    to improve, make the speed intervals longer (30 seconds) and/or faster, and the rest intervals shorter (2 minutes). dont sacrifice the rest intervals...you need to get your heart rate back down.
    increase your speed interval duration and/or intensity weekly and keep track of it! dont worry about the time until you are spending an equal amount of time in speed as you are in recovery...then its time to be faster longer than you rest.
    its important to have yor nutrition in line also. after all, you are asking your body to work harder and you need to feed AND rest your muscles.
    it will take time, but there are some very good threads and groups here and most likely running clubs in your area if running is your chosen sport.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I started as a wogger too, and am now pacing much better and training for a half marathon! Just keep moving, try to add some faster bits to each run, and you WILL get faster. Just dont give up!!! :)

Wogger!! I LOVE IT!! I am so a wogger!!

I did a 5k @ 356lbs 2 years ago...I finished last and was darn proud of it!! Remember what they told us in little league...keep your eye on the ball!! Practice makes perfect!!