Runners - Training Schedule Dilemma: WWYD?

Options
I am currently in week 12 of Hal Higdon's 18-week Novice 1 marathon training plan. This is a pull-back week, so my long run this Saturday is only 12 miles.

Creating a problem for me is the fact that I am registered to run a 5K Saturday morning. A very close friend of mine, who had some serious health problems in the past year, is running it and asked me to run it with him for support. I will accompany him, so will let him set the pace. The problem is he is VERY slow compared to me. I think he will do 12 to 13-minute miles. So, the 5K will be a real easy jog for me.

I am planning to do my long run Saturday evening. Now, given how easy the 5K will be for me, would you run the whole 12 miles if you were me and run a total of 15 miles, or would you run 9 miles for a total of 12 miles? Or somewhere in between?

Thanks for any insight you may provide.

Replies

• mackenzg
    mackenzg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if the 5k is easy for you, and its in the morning and you are doing your LR in the evening, I'd do all 12. If i were in your shoes and i only did 9, i'd feel like I cheated myself! Enjoy the run with your friend!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If it's easy, I think you're fine doing 15 miles, broken up that way.
  • IlliniRunr
    Options
    How strict have you been with the program so far? If you have been very diligent, I think you will be just fine to slice your 12 back to 9. I think you will also find the 5K with your friend very rewarding and inspiring for your goals.

Run Happy!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    being that it's a pull-back week, and that his pace is significantly slower than your running pace I'd run the complete 12 in the evening.
    if your body begins to tire after 9 then maybe slow down to a jog for the last 3?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Just see how you feel on sat. If you feel good, go for the full 12 that night. Not hard to make a game time decision. ;)
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely not an expert, but my 2 cents is, it's a down week for a reason. Run your 9 that evening - I think it will be best for your body. That being said - I'm not sure there's necessarily a "wrong" decision here since it's doubtful that the 5K is going to tax you too much. Good luck!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I would run the full 12, just consider the 5K your warm-up for the day! But if you're concerned, move your LR to Sunday or Monday (assuming you have a 3 day weekend!)
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's a pull back week for a reason. Don't burn yourself out by doing too much. Maybe go by feel once you get going on Saturday night. If you feel fantastic running at night maybe do a bit more but don't go at a fast pace...log the mileage but don't overexert yourself in the speed department. If you feel pretty sluggish then cut it short. Just don't push too hard and hurt yourself...you're too close to race day to want to have to recover from an injury !
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    What do you have to gain with each option?

Put another way, the extra three miles is not going to help you either as you train or when you get to the start line of the marathon.

It will, however, increase your weekly mileage by > 10% and that's a no-no, yes?

Also, the goal of a training plan for a newbie (I'm one too) is to get the runner to the starting line in an injury free state at a level of conditioning that will allow the runner to complete the race*.

One last thing. If you haven't had a running injury, good on you. I've had chondromalacia as a teenager in college and I'm dealing with an IT band issue now. Pain sucks. Being injured sucks.

Yes, I'm training for my first marathon and, yes, I want to run a 4:15 or better, but my main focus is being in Sacramento, healthy and ready to go on December 4.

OK, I'll stop the sermon now! :-)

*that's a paraphrase of Hal Hidgon's philosophy in his book "Marathon". I've also gleaned that from the Runner's World book "Road Racing" and the book "Marathon's for Mortals".
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I would say go for it. Just play it by ear and don't overdo it on the long run if you don't feel up to it.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The training plan is merely a guideline. I say just go by feel on your long run. If you are feeling good after 9 miles, then go for the whole 12. The pullback weeks are a way to let your body recover a little, but you should be fine if you actually ran 15 instead of 12. Listen to your body.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    It will, however, increase your weekly mileage by > 10% and that's a no-no, yes?

Eh, not really, it's one of those running rules that gets passed down from person to person but has no basis for grounding.

Research it and you'll find no real support of the actual 10% rule. It's more a listen to your body and increase your mileage gradually rule...not 10%.

Interesting I think: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/health/nutrition/21best.html
  • mmadhani
    mmadhani Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow..I didn't Hal Higdon was so famous. I use his schedule too...kind of. Nice to find a thread w/his name.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely not an expert, but my 2 cents is, it's a down week for a reason. Run your 9 that evening - I think it will be best for your body. That being said - I'm not sure there's necessarily a "wrong" decision here since it's doubtful that the 5K is going to tax you too much. Good luck!

Agreed. Cutbacks are mileage cutbacks for a reason. Me, personally, I'd do 9 later in the day. Running more won't do a thing for your endurance.

3 miles probably won't do anything either way, IMO, but if you're worried about getting a straight 12 in for training purposes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've also never done a "warm up" for an endurance run. These runs are usually supposed to be done at a conversational pace anyway. What's to warm up for?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If the 5K is that easy, I would plan to run all 12 later, but see how your body feels and if you are tired, stop @ 9, 10, or 11.

Higdon is 2 weeks increase, one back, correct? A lot of programs got 3 up for every cutback.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It's a pull back week for a reason. Don't burn yourself out by doing too much. Maybe go by feel once you get going on Saturday night. If you feel fantastic running at night maybe do a bit more but don't go at a fast pace...log the mileage but don't overexert yourself in the speed department. If you feel pretty sluggish then cut it short. Just don't push too hard and hurt yourself...you're too close to race day to want to have to recover from an injury !

^^^^ This!!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Eh, not really, it's one of those running rules that gets passed down from person to person but has no basis for grounding.

Research it and you'll find no real support of the actual 10% rule. It's more a listen to your body and increase your mileage gradually rule...not 10%.

Interesting I think: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/health/nutrition/21best.html

The 10% rule was a conservative guideline to prevent injury by adding mileage too quickly. I dont always follow 10% exactly either but it's still a good guideline. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's a pull-back week, designed to let you recuperate and consolidate your training to date. It's not a week where you're pushing forward your mileage. With that in mind, take it easy, and do 12 in total the whole day.

Ideally, could you do the remaining nine before of after the race, maybe run to the starting line?
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sorry, I was not near a computer all day and could not respond earlier. I appreciate all the feedback. I think I will play it by ear tomorrow, but I think I will just run my 10-mile loop in my hilly neighborhood after the 5K and call it a day.