1200 cals

Options
2»

Replies

• michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just discovered the gem, Mahi Mahi -- high protein, LOW fat, 100 calories per 4 oz.
  • Richard170
    Options
    I like Mahi Mahi but it is LOW fat so I eat Salmon a lot more often.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I try to eat foods that are really filling.
    Almonds for snacks...

Salad with some chicken and light dressing... it's a low calorie amount really..

Yogurt... cheese sticks... Snack on veggies...

It's just a matter of getting rid of all the crappy food that have high calorie amounts and really do't fill you up. It's not easy at first but you'll appreciate it later :)
  • AnnieJ63
    AnnieJ63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt for lunch and a Lean Gourmet type lunch, trying to keep the total calories between the two between 300-400. I treat myself to a skinny cow ice cream when I get home from work. This allows a good supper and maybe a snack with the extra 800 calories that I have to work with. Strawberries, sugar free cool whip and sugar free angel food cake are an awesome filler for low calories. This schedule works great for the work week, but has taken discipline.

The weekend is harder, but I look hard for treats. McDonalds oatmeal is tasty and super filling for 250 calories. The fruit parfait is only 130 without the granola. Hang in and be resourceful, it keeps getting easier.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Personally I think 1200 is too low. But if that is your aim, you should probably consider NETTING 1200, not just eating 1200.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If you are going to stick to 1200 calories you really have to plan out your meals. In order to get all the nutrient your body needs and so that 1200 is filling you enough without being hungry you have to eat the right things in the right amounts - this takes planning.

If on 1200 calories I would suggest eating 5-6 mini-meals a day. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack. You will be eating less more often but it will keep you from getting too hungry and then gorging yourself. Also it will supply your body with energy throughout the day.

You need to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Low calories but feel you up and give you energy and essential nutrients.
    Great snacks also include yogurts, almonds, peanut butter. These foods are filling and don't have a lot of empty calories that leave you hungry in an hour.

Also, drink tons of water 8-12 cups a day. Water gives you energy and fills you up! Water is important.

When I first started out I did 1200 a day to jolt my body and get me in a better mindset....a typical day looked like:

Breakfast 170cals: 1 egg and a banana
    Morning Snack 80cals: 1 light/nonfat 6oz yogurt
    Lunch 300 cals: turkey sandwich on whole wheat with lots of veggies (no condiments no cheese)
    Afternoon snack 100cals: carrot sticks and fresh fruit (an apple, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, etc)
    Dinner 450cals: chicken breast and brown rice. Fresh/frozen veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc)
    Evening snack 100cals: popcorn, more fruit or veggies, a yogurt, some almonds, etc

This was plenty filling for me and didn't leave me hungry. I drank nothing but water and consumed 2 cups with each meal along with 2-4 more cups with my workouts.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200, and not losing anything. I upped it to 1400 and started to lose weight. Make sure you eat your exercise calories, or do more exercise to get more calorie allowance
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned this in an earlier post, but check out this link. I started this months ago and it's amazing the response to it. It's now on part 3. Honestly I haven't read it in a while, but start at the beginning and you'll see some amazing food ideas from a lot of contributors that will give you ideas for low calorie meals. You will see that you don't have to starve yourself to eat low cal, low fat. Most people have posted pics plus some basic calorie and nutrient info. Hope this helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249225-what-do-your-meals-look-like-let-me-see-pics
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that I do is to nearly eliminate grains. I seldom do bread or pasta. I eat a potato ONCE IN A WHILE, but mostly, it's low-fat proteins, fruit, vegetables, eggs, and dairy.