Needing Comfort Foods on Cold Days

I live in Michgian, and for 3-4 months of every year, most days are cloudy, windy, and below freezing. My house is drafty, and we keep the heat low (65 when we're home) to save heat.

When I get home from work, I want to be warm inside. I don't want a roasted chicken breast and some steamed broccoli. There's no way I'm eating a cold salad.

When I'm cold and it's gry, I want comforting food -- something warm, soft, and creamy -- any kind will do. Sometimes I think it's evolutionary: my body wants to keep me warm and insluated, and has no interest in foods that are clearly out-of-season where I live.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you combat the temptation? Can you suggest any healthy comfort foods? Thanks!

p.s. I try to avoid low-fat "dairy products" and any other foods with more than 4-5 ingredients.

Replies

• I live in Michgian, and for 3-4 months of every year, most days are cloudy, windy, and below freezing. My house is drafty, and we keep the heat low (65 when we're home) to save heat.

When I get home from work, I want to be warm inside. I don't want a roasted chicken breast and some steamed broccoli. There's no way I'm eating a cold salad.

When I'm cold and it's gry, I want comforting food -- something warm, soft, and creamy -- any kind will do. Sometimes I think it's evolutionary: my body wants to keep me warm and insluated, and has no interest in foods that are clearly out-of-season where I live.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you combat the temptation? Can you suggest any healthy comfort foods? Thanks!

p.s. I try to avoid low-fat "dairy products" and any other foods with more than 4-5 ingredients.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Chili can be low in fat. And its warm! Also, a batch of red or white beans! Tam listed some mini meatloaf muffins, they are easy and taste great too!
  • plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    I second the chili. You can eve bake a small/medium size potato and put the chili over it.

Also, there are some soups out there that are pretty good in calories for the amount you get. Safeway (don't know if you have one around) has a bunch of "Signature Cafe" soups that are good. The chunky chicken soup is only 150 calories for a cup.

Maybe even drinking hot tea with your meal will help too.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    I made this for dinner yesterday, it was quick easy and really yummy.

Low Fat Tuna Melt--

Tuna Salad
    1 can tunafish (chunk light in water)
    2 tbsp of miracle whip
    Salt& pepper
    Garlic powder (I put in everything..)
    red pepper
    (you can add celery or relish if you want, but JR doesnt like it so we did without)

Then take a whole wheat tortilla, cut a slice of cheese (we used low fat swiss) in half and put on half of the tortilla, put tuna salad on top of cheese (then I chopped up a clove of garlic and put on top....because we really like it)

fold in half like a quesadilla, and cook till crispy (I used pam in the pan) and enjoy!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I'm third in on the chili suggestion. It's the ultimate comfort food for cold days. Just about any kind of soup is. Homemade vegetable soup with a good crusty bread or tomato soup (non-cream kind) with a grilled cheese sandwich also really do the trick for me.

Oh, and meatloaf....love it in the winter. If you make it yourself and control the ingredients and portions you can still make it relatively low in calories.

Lately I've been craving real honest to goodness, Mom's downhome deep fried chicken.....there's just no way to make it healthy. So far, I've remained strong.....
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm at work, but I'm going to post my wife's tortilla soup receipe.

It's light delicious and very comforting. It has more than a few ingredients, but mostly you just open cans and dump it into a soup pot.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    when I'm freezing I find my decaf lemon grass green tea works quickly and smells yum and really can warm me up faster than any food can....plus it's so relaxing.....:drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Like others have said chili is great. I also eat alot of soup in the winter. I like it spicey so for a big pot I brown & drain the fat off of 2 links of hot Italian sausage. It gives any soup a good flavor and alittle kick.

I also use portion control. Anything I ate before I can eat now but I had to learn how to be satisfied with a normal portion. No more filling my plate and having seconds.
  • Thanks everybody!
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    It is kind of the same idea as chili..but I find chili can get boring...so I keep chick pea curry with rice in the freezer...totally hits the spot when you're feeling cold and want some comfort...low fat hot chocolate is another thing that helps